JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes, do plan on replacing your self defense ammo at least once a year. It's a good idea to rotate the stock so you always have good ammo.

Not to say ammo can necessarily go bad. It's more if you carry it.... can get dirty and grimmy.

Another important aspect is so you can function test the ammo - make sure it functions and how it shoots.

I reload mine and shoot it when ever I feel like it. I have no need to worry about how old it is. You should practice a bit with your defensive rounds I think.

Obviously you can tell I'm not one to worry about the "if you shoot somebody with reloads the lawyer will make you out to be a demon" BS. If for some reason I am forced to shoot somebody in self defense it is the last thing I'm going to worry about. The first thing on my mind will be shot placement so I don't end up dead.

It is best to replace them twice a year if you carry all the time because the moisture from your body "can" effect the ammo. It is also a good idea to go ahead and shoot the previous ammo as a test of actual ammo to be used in self defense as practice. Not too many people can afford to practice with the same type of ammo as they use for carry.

It is also a good idea to go ahead and shoot the previous ammo as a test of actual ammo to be used in self defense as practice. Not too many people can afford to practice with the same type of ammo as they use for carry.

I'd add to this and say that if you can't afford to practice with your carry ammo, at least practice with ammo of the same grain. A lot of people carry 9mm in a 147 grain hollow point and then turn around and practice with 115 or 124 grain ball ammo to save a buck or two a box. At handgun distances, I don't think the ballistics make any difference. BUT....the time it takes to get back on target with the heavier bullets is much different than the lighter ones.

I'd also use hollow point for practice every once in a while just to make sure your gun feeds well with it. Probably only a problem with smaller calibers, but I had a Keltec (.32) that fired ball ammo all day and all night with no problems. Hollow point ammo was a different story (jammed 1 in about every 20 rounds) until I switched to Federal (from Remington). That gun just didn't like the shape of the Remington bullets.

Oh, I shoot my carry ammo once a year. I have carried every day for years and have never had a misfire when I shot it.

Not too many people can afford to practice with the same type of ammo as they use for carry.

And that is why I reload. I don't shoot hot ammunition all the time because that would be silly and wear your gun out quicker but I do shoot it on purpose because well... you have to because it does shoot differently.

I try to shoot my mags dry every time I go to the range.
I average a 2-3 month cycle since I forget to practice with my carry gun when I go to matches.

Go to the range? That's right outside my back door. :s0114:

I instead pee every time I go to the "range." :s0114:

Naw, I make sure to shoot my carry guns dry about once a month, but again I can do it at home. I then clean them.

Go to the range? That's right outside my back door. :s0114:

I instead pee every time I go to the "range." :s0114:

Naw, I make sure to shoot my carry guns dry about once a month, but again I can do it at home. I then clean them.

Me too, I just wish I could have a rifle range on my property but I don't have enough and it's wooded and hilly.

Me too, I just wish I could have a rifle range on my property but I don't have enough and it's wooded and hilly.

With my .270, if I sight it in to center of target at 25 yards, it's a case-length high at 100 yards, 1/2 of a case length high at 200 yards, and about 1/2 case length low at 300 yards. 25 yards works great for sighting it.

I can manage 100 yards on my property, but my neighbor right down the road has a great 100 yard range with benches so I go down there.

I can drive about a mile and shoot as far as I want. It's miles and miles of BLM.

For hand guns or .22lr though, it's right out my door.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top