JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The factory Ruger choice is a very good recommendation. They are making their own barrels now (after years of some very good and some very bad outsourcing). All reports of the Ruger barrels are good now. For an economical choice of non-factory rebarreling, E.R. Shaw does a good job at working-man prices.

I would wonder (unless a .220 Swift, .22-250, .25-06, or .264) how a factory Ruger barrel came to be "shot out". Pretty tough to do in a lifetime of shooting a conservative caliber like .30-06, etc.

Spitpatch, the rifle in question has gone through 3 owners. My brother, his oldest son, his youngest son, back to the oldest, and now he has gotten it back. This has happened in the last 30 years. A lot of ammo has gone through it in that time.

What caliber? And what is the evidence that it is "shot out"? I have many guns that are well over a hundred years old that are not "shot out". Many of them bolt action centerfires, some of them through alot more than three owners, and some of them through a couple wars. I am not saying that it is impossible, or that you cannot determine this. I am saying that in a conventional (and not "racy") caliber, in a modern hunting firearm, it is very unusual. I am also trying to save you some money, as there are quite a few remedies for a gun that doesn't shoot quite as it did when newer, and even a bore that shows considerable visible wear, or even damage can often be "saved" to shoot every bit as well as it did when new. Respectfully, I would ask what the criteria is that has led you to the decision to have it rebarreled. I would also bet that a few members to this site would have even more ideas than my meager self as to how to determine a barrel is unsalvageable, or other methods than what I might offer to try to save it. I am also honestly asking for your analysis in order that I may make a similar analysis if ever one of my guns fails to perform as it used to. Thanks for any info that you can provide.

P.S.: I spent a good portion of my childhood in Vernonia, and if your moniker reflects your year of birth, we share that too!

If you just want to change barrels call Ruger and see what they will do for you.

Again it is hard to shoot out most calibers. You did not say what caliber or what it was used for. Assuming it is a standard caliber, and use like the average shooter does they are hard to wear out. Say it is .308, and the average shooter puts less then 100 rds/year though it. Even at 30 years that is only 3000 rds which is not that much.

all the barrel companies ive looked at charge around 600$ to cut chamber instal and crown, thats pretty much the story for kreiger, lija, shillen, and pacnor

The main reason my brother belives the barrel is gone is after 1 maybe 2 shots the rest fly all over the place. ( 7mm mag ) This is using the same loads that we have used for years. Also many times the gun was shot many without letting the barrel to cool down, which is not good. As to how many rounds at a time I cannot say. And yes moniker is my birth year. Rammit I'll pass along the price you quoted. Thanks

I had a old tang safety ruger M-77 in 7mm Mag that had been shot with some barrel obstruction causing the barrel to swell. I went on gunbroker and bought a like new ruger barrel that was taken off for some reason and it cost $75. then I paid $100 to have a gunsmith fit and head space the barrel. Now it shoots great and still has a ruger barrel. Just a thought to keep things on the cheap.

Did not think of looking on gunbroker. Thanks. Brother called Ruger and all they would tell him is to ship the rifle to them and they would look at it and let him know what they thought.

Ruger is trying to save him money as well. 7mm Mag is a cartridge that (in support of your diagnosis) probably actually can be "shot out" in a lifetime of very very hard use, but still not very likely. And again, in support of your diagnosis, rapid fire is the fastest way to burn a barrel. With those two bits of info, the barrel being "shot out" becomes closer to a possibility. However, with the information that a couple shots go to target fine before group spread, I would almost bet money that the barrel is just peachy. Bedding and copper removal are where I would start with this gun. With the age of the weapon, it is very possible the wood has softened/been damaged in critical bedding areas such as the lug screw (the Ruger uses an angle arrangment on the front), and the tang screw areas. Barrel channel would be another area to examine.

If he is still wanting to put a new barrel on the gun, Shaw would beat that premier price from the premier outfits that Rammit was kind to provide. Any good gunsmith could actually tell you probably right of the bat if the barrel is actually "shot out". Many have borescopes now: an optical device that allows for magnified examination of each and every inch of the barrel.

I am curious about your hesitancy to deal with Marcus and Kurt at the Forest Grove shops. My experiences with both of them have been all favorable. Kurt is very direct, and that puts some people off, but I am very direct too, and so we get along just fine. Marcus is more easy-going, but he'll not hesitate to tell you where to get off the bus if you are blowing smoke up his nether regions. Smith work from both has been exemplary.

P.S. (pardon the personal questions) Did ya go to grade school in Vernonia? Rose Steen for 4th Grade? Maude Wells for 6th? Boy Scouts with Don Jackson?

It is not myself who will not deal with Marcus or Kurt. I have dealt with both and have not had any problems. Sorry did not go to school in Vernonia. My brothers all went to school in Forest Grove I went to High School in Panama City Fl. Again will pass on info to #2 brother.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top