JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
People like you with limited experience and small sample size do not have enough information to make an informed decision. Had you spent that time shooting with and talking to thousands of other users, taking classes, fixing guns for a living, ect you would most likely have a very different opinion.

This is where we learn not all opinions are the same. Just because you can talk about something doesn't mean you should.

Its also why gun boards are full of mindless drivel and nonsense due to people with little to no real world experience arguing with people who are experts, which end up running off the actual SMEs. Eventually its not worth trying to help people due to hassle and BS from the clown comitee who has to throw their ignorant and unqualified opinion into every thread.

And stop with the anecdotal examples. They mean nothing statistically. Ive sent a $10K shotgun back to the manufacture to fix an issue. And I still shoot the same gun over a dozen cheaper ones I own that have never had to go back. The exception does not prove the rule.

I never said Taurus firearms were anything other than a lower quality pistol, but because there is no database of hard numbers to back up your anecdotal evidence of them having higher than average failure rates, we can't know for sure that they are mostly garbage. And yes, your claiming to have talked to and shot with thousands of other shooters is anecdotal evidence.

Anecdotal evidence is evidence from anecdotes: evidence collected in a casual or informal manner and relying heavily or entirely on personal testimony.

Are you correct in your assessment of Taurus firearms based on your years of experience? Yes. Are the new pistols better? They seem to be and lots of other shooters and gunsmiths with decades of experience are impressed with them.

And they also seem to be able to share their decades of experience without calling fellow gun enthusiasts "clowns", "ignorant", and "unqualified".

Why shoot a 738 like it's a range toy? Sounds like you spent twice as much on ammo than the gun.
Me and my wife have 2 738s and Remington rm380s and shoot them very little as we have guns that
are more fun to use the ammo on. The taurus 738 shoots better than the rm380 and we upgraded the
rm380 triggers. Wife loves her p238 if she's shooting 380 and hates the triggers on both the Taurus
and Remington.
I did really enjoy shooting it and carried it quite a bit; little bugger was accurate as he11 and very controllable. Hence, the thousand rounds I put through it. Granted, the smaller gun has smaller parts and though I don't subscribe to the "carried much, shot little" mentality, after 1000 standard-pressure rounds it should not have spontaneously disassembled. Fun little thing while it lasted...:oops:

yep, not same quality as others....but the price point reflects that. I had a model 66 that broke after approx 2500 rounds of 357. Taurus rebuilt it to like new--but with a fairly crappy new trigger. A friend has it now, shoots maybe 500 rounds a year and it works just fine. 738 isnt designed to shoot many rounds, its a pocket carry--I have one, and its well worth the $200 it cost me. Do you have more $$$$ in your pocket? get a better trigger and better fit and finish with a S&W, Ruger or Colt. Lower budget and lower round count per year...Taurus works just fine.... I just shot a new Colt Python--pretty, shoots well..but worth $1700? not for me.
Cheapdad

The wife and I have owned many Taurus, I believe the count is 6 to date. I bought the G3 for my daughter as a range toy, so that makes 7. So far, we have had 1 issue out of 7. The feed ramp on the wife's G2c is chipping, but does NOT affect its shooting ability.
My issue is with their terrible CS. I have made at leat 6 attempts to get them to give me a R.O. for repairs. I get the emails saying someone will call me. Never happens. Yesterday I decided to call them again, and get right through. They have no record of my service requests, despite my confirmation emails.

I will be sending it in to them. They say 12 weeks turnaround. The clock is ticking...

The wife and I have owned many Taurus, I believe the count is 6 to date. I bought the G3 for my daughter as a range toy, so that makes 7. So far, we have had 1 issue out of 7. The feed ramp on the wife's G2c is chipping, but does NOT affect its shooting ability.
My issue is with their terrible CS. I have made at leat 6 attempts to get them to give me a R.O. for repairs. I get the emails saying someone will call me. Never happens. Yesterday I decided to call them again, and get right through. They have no record of my service requests, despite my confirmation emails.

I will be sending it in to them. They say 12 weeks turnaround. The clock is ticking...
That's odd; I just called it in, shipped it and waited about 3 months. They didn't inform me of the change in status, but as I checked back every 2 weeks or so I caught it fairly quickly. On hold for 20 minutes before a rep answered, but not too bad, especially considering the current climate. I hope your experience improves rapidly and markedly!

I have a PT 738. Like the OP states, it is accurate, and easily carried in your pocket. I did replace the stock guide rod with a stainless steel aftermarket model. While I have not put 1000 rounds through mine yet (around 200 so far), it is not a range toy. I usually put a mag or 2 through it each range trip for function testing. It has never failed to fire.

One note some of you have missed here, yes Taurus is a Brazilian company, the the PT 738 was their first USA designed AND built handgun.

I also owned a full size Taurus PT1911ALR that fired every time I pulled the trigger and ate all brands of ammo with no problem. I only got rid of it to get an officer model 1911. Still miss it to this day.

Haters gonna hate.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. IT's Heaven and Hell.....

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top