JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The proper replacement for a Taurus revolver is the S&W revolver you should have bought in the first place.

Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.

I speak from personal experience. My first small revolver was a Taurus Model 85 in stainless, 1992. On the first shot I suffered spitting lead. Bad. By the third shot the cylinder locked up. I did get the crane to release. The forcing cone had cracked right into the rifling. Taurus had a good warranty at the time and replaced it for free, but in my mind, a brand gets one shot, and Taurus missed by a country mile.

The proper replacement for a Taurus revolver is the S&W revolver you should have bought in the first place.

Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.

I speak from personal experience. My first small revolver was a Taurus Model 85 in stainless, 1992. On the first shot I suffered spitting lead. Bad. By the third shot the cylinder locked up. I did get the crane to release. The forcing cone had cracked right into the rifling. Taurus had a good warranty at the time and replaced it for free, but in my mind, a brand gets one shot, and Taurus missed by a country mile.
Heh... I did buy a very nice S&W revolver. It has brought me much joy and I assume will continue to do so long after the replacement Taurus has shuffled off it's mortal coil... :)

Interesting how wide the spectrum is between folks who appreciate Taurus' and the rest of us who don't.

I owned a couple Taurus revolvers way back when I was in the Army. No matter how much I rationalized the purchase, they were very poor quality.

Years later, a friend owned a Taurus Millenium pistol. It was plagued with problems. Took forever for Taurus to accept the pistol for repair. And then, the pistol was eventually shipped back to the owner, unrepaired. After a lot of head banging, they did finally replace the pistol with a different model. I lost contact with the owner after that, so I don't know how the replacement panned out.

My distaste for Taurus, I thought was indelible. Then, another friend, an FFL dealer and gunsmith, carried a Taurus 1911. He owned and could own anything he wanted, but this Taurus operated and shot flawlessly, and he never had to worry about it.

Lastly...I bought a Glock 44, .22LR pistol. I'm sorry I did, as it's very fickle. A short time later, Taurus released their TX22 pistol. They are apparently made in a completely different facility in the U.S. and the reviews have been glowing. I bought this Taurus .22, hoping it would be more trustworthy than the Glock, and it is. It is absolutely fabulous.
:s0133:

Last Edited:
It's hilarious you could ask about a literal cat turd and half the people here would swing in saying how great it tastes and it's just as good as a ribeye.

Smh
Yup, and if you had a gold bar half of the people here would tell you it was worthless and trade it for a cat turd.

Had a Taurus .22 revolver, good little pistol, went the way of all flesh however. Have a PT1911 and love it. Another "lifer gun". How many of the whiners here complained about the S&W back in the 1970-80-90s and selling out gun owners under Klinton? About Colt in the same time frame and selling out gun owners? About Billy Ruger selling out the US gun owners with the "assault rifle ban" and "hi-cap magazine ban" which he started and lead? About Mossberg quality in the 1970-80-90s and selling out gun owners?

Oh, Taurus has a terrible repair service? Try Ruger, Henry, Kimber, Mossberg, Lee Precision Reloading, the list goes on, and tell us honestly how that worked out for you.

More facts and less cat turd BS!

Yup, agree with drstangelove, I also judge what the factory puts out instead of what they are willing to repair/replace, no second chance! So I can no longer own any of the following: Colt, Ruger, Kimber, Mossberg, S&W, Henry, Glock, Lee Precision, Wilson, Detonics, probably a few more. Well obviously they put out some "good" guns, but let some cat turds out of the factory too. Funny how no one wants to talk about those.

Last Edited:
I could care less about taurus repair service.

Their actual products are subpar in materials and design, which is ironic considering most of the stuff they make are stolen designs built on worn out tooling.

There is a reason knowledgeble gun people laugh at them. They have a long track record of being a turd. Reputations are earned and lost over time.

Most of those companies you mentioned put out junk products too, with the exception of Colt, Glock and Wilson. Those 3 would be the only ones I would be willing to trust my life to their products.

What do you think the failure rate for Colt/Wilson/Glock and Taurus is?

If Taurus has a failure rate 10 times higher, do you consider that equivalent?

Is there a reason knowledgeable and experienced gun people will generally tell you stay away from Taurus?

IMO anyone steering people towards these sub par products is someone who is not qualified to have an opinion worth listening to. Not all opinions are equal.

Hard to have an intellectual debate when you ignore nuance and logic.

Most of those companies you mentioned put out junk products too, with the exception of Colt, Glock and Wilson. Those 3 would be the only ones I would be willing to trust my life to their products.
What about the new COLT Python that has been plagued with problems since its new arrival?
Glock has had several recalls in its history too.

Is there a reason knowledgeable and experienced gun people will generally tell you stay away from Taurus?

IMO anyone steering people towards these sub par products is someone who is not qualified to have an opinion worth listening to. Not all opinions are equal.
After a few thousand rounds downrange, I feel I am qualified to have an opinion as much as someone who does not have "hands-on" experience with ANY weapon.

I guess we should just agree to disagree... :s0008:

The new colt Python hasn't been "plagued with problems". Very few people had issues with it, and that issue was that the side plate screws came loose because they didn't tighten them enough.

Yet you have no idea what the failure rate is for Taurus vs. Colt/Wilson/Glock, do you?

Please show everyone here where there is a database for firearm failure rates instead of just people spouting conjecture and things like "well I had a Taurus in 1994 and it broke, so all Taurus firearms are bad..."

Are Taurus firearms indeed less quality than S&W and Glocks? Yes they are. You can inspect them and tell the difference.

But when you state matter-of-factly that Taurus firearms fail at a much higher rate than other firearms, yet have no database or proof for that statement, that is pretty much ignoring logic.

I hear more stories of people having to send Rugers back to the factory than I do Taurus.

I've owned quite a few firearms over the decades and you want to know how any Taurus products I've had fail? Zero. You want to know how many S&W pistols I've had to send back to S&W? Two.

So, according to the logic in this post, I should only buy Taurus rather than S&W:

Taurus had a good warranty at the time and replaced it for free, but in my mind, a brand gets one shot, and Taurus missed by a country mile.

How many millions of firearms does Taurus sell to inexperienced or first-time gun owners that induce failures due to ignorance or improper use?

You can spend five minutes on the internet and look up the consumer ratings and failure rates for automobiles, TVs, mattresses, or washer and dryers. But when it comes to firearms, we have to rely on word of mouth, conjecture, and personal experience.

The bottom line is that Taurus may very well be the Fiat-Chrysler of the firearms world, but there is no empirical database that is unbiased and based on numerical facts.

Yet you have no idea what the failure rate is for Taurus vs. Colt/Wilson/Glock, do you?

Please show everyone here where there is a database for firearm failure rates instead of just people spouting conjecture and things like "well I had a Taurus in 1994 and it broke, so all Taurus firearms are bad..."

Are Taurus firearms indeed less quality than S&W and Glocks? Yes they are. You can inspect them and tell the difference.

But when you state matter-of-factly that Taurus firearms fail at a much higher rate than other firearms, yet have no database or proof for that statement, that is pretty much ignoring logic.

I hear more stories of people having to send Rugers back to the factory than I do Taurus.

I've owned quite a few firearms over the decades and you want to know how any Taurus products I've had fail? Zero. You want to know how many S&W pistols I've had to send back to S&W? Two.

So, according to the logic in this post, I should only buy Taurus rather than S&W:

How many millions of firearms does Taurus sell to inexperienced or first-time gun owners that induce failures due to ignorance or improper use?

You can spend five minutes on the internet and look up the consumer ratings and failure rates for automobiles, TVs, mattresses, or washer and dryers. But when it comes to firearms, we have to rely on word of mouth, conjecture, and personal experience.

The bottom line is that Taurus may very well be the Fiat-Chrysler of the firearms world, but there is no empirical database that is unbiased and based on numerical facts.
Most gun owners don't even shoot enough to know if their firearms have issues.

Ruger is the largest American gun manufacture as far as # of guns. There is nothing they make worth owning. Still put out a much better and consistent product than taurus.

Taurus does fail at a rate higher than just about every other firearm based on our collective knowledge. It is known by gunsmiths, high volume dealers, Trainers, SME's and informed enthusiasts.

There is no magical database or secret spreadsheets to prove this to you. Its known from experience and reading everything you can find on the subject.

Brazilian gun manufacturing is hit and miss. They are often times (atleast used to be) made on worn out tooling from first rate firearms manufactures. Beretta sold them tooling way back in the day that was no longer suitable for production.

Go talk to the top Firearms trainers in the country running high volume classes. There is a reason the SME's recommend certain products, they know from experience what holds up and what doesn't.

No knowledgeable revolver aficionado will recommend them. Its laughable to suggest otherwise.

My matter of fact statements is from decades of professional firearm experience running, competing, fixing just about anything on the planet from .22's to .50cals and mk19s. I will take my knowledge of firearms and put it up against anyone in this thread. I don't need to write a book explaining every position I have based on thousands of experiences and years of doing this for a living.

When you take all the information that is available, throw it in a blender its easy to see what rises to the top and what is not worth owning.

Reputations are built based on this. Some legit and some are not. Taurus has consistently putout cheap substandard products marketed at new/novice/poor people who don't know any better. Many of their designs are blatant rip offs of other manufactures.

People like you with limited experience and small sample size do not have enough information to make an informed decision. Had you spent that time shooting with and talking to thousands of other users, taking classes, fixing guns for a living, ect you would most likely have a very different opinion.

This is where we learn not all opinions are the same. Just because you can talk about something doesn't mean you should.

Its also why gun boards are full of mindless drivel and nonsense due to people with little to no real world experience arguing with people who are experts, which end up running off the actual SMEs. Eventually its not worth trying to help people due to hassle and BS from the clown comitee who has to throw their ignorant and unqualified opinion into every thread.

And stop with the anecdotal examples. They mean nothing statistically. Ive sent a $10K shotgun back to the manufacture to fix an issue. And I still shoot the same gun over a dozen cheaper ones I own that have never had to go back. The exception does not prove the rule.

Why shoot a 738 like it's a range toy? Sounds like you spent twice as much on ammo than the gun.
Me and my wife have 2 738s and Remington rm380s and shoot them very little as we have guns that
are more fun to use the ammo on. The taurus 738 shoots better than the rm380 and we upgraded the
rm380 triggers. Wife loves her p238 if she's shooting 380 and hates the triggers on both the Taurus
and Remington.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads