JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was trying to find replacement stock for K31 Swiss rifle - no luck so far.

I want to save original matching stock of this rifle (it has some Shooting Match stickers on it) in its present condition.

Original top or lower guard is slightly warped (top guard will not follow lower guard exactly sideways). That another reason to look for a replacement stock. I plan to use this rifle for hunting and I do not want to damage original stock even more.

It looks like original K31 replacement stocks (even used ones I could find) is almost expensive as a rifle. I found aftermarket wooden sporter stock on one website, but it is sold out. I do NOT want sniper/tactical-type stock (there are several options available - very expensive as well). I would prefer to have stock as close to original as possible.

Does anybody has some information where to find/order replacement stock for K31?

As I understand, it is possible custom copy original stock on stock replicator or 3D-scan it, but it will be pretty expensive.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Try getting registered on Gunboard's Forums and asking there. It's a great place with helpful folks. You might also post on "Curio & Relic" here. @tac isn't here in the U.S. but he has a wealth of info and maybe even something to lead you to a stock.

We like pictures here too. ;)

Take it out hunting, not going to hurt it.

The Swiss did training with them in all kinds of Swiss weather, which included ice & snow excursions. That's supposedly why many of the stocks have ice cleat marks and such.

Get a tabletop CNC router like an Xcarve or Shapeoko, learn some CAD, buy some plywood. It'll take about 500 to 1000 hours to get up to speed on CAD, CAM, and how all that digital stuff applies to the real world, and will cost 5-6x what it would cost to buy one of the expensive stocks (I'm using a guestimate of $4-500 for the stock, adjust if cheaper), but you'd have the pride of creation. I know this sounds slightly sarcastic -- it isn't. It would be a lot of fun.

Carbide 3D
X-Carve

Boyds make a sort of a replica stock for the K31 - rumour has it that it needs a deal of work, so it's best to be handy. Back over in CH you can buy a K31 stock for not a lot of money but getting one in the USA - a real one, that is, would be a gamble that I'm betting you'd lose.

Mike's idea of getting on gunboards is a good one - I'm there, too - on swissfirearms forum. Most all of us there know each other and some are good friends [Hi there Papa P, Latigo, Leon, milprileb and the guys!!!] and we are also n THE Swiss rifles forum - swissrifles.com.

Whereabouts are you located in PNW? Reason I asked is the Tradex in Canada often have stocks for unusual firearms. I'll have look and get back to you.

Last Edited:
Take it out hunting, not going to hurt it.

The Swiss did training with them in all kinds of Swiss weather, which included ice & snow excursions. That's supposedly why many of the stocks have ice cleat marks and such.

Yep, that why most stocks look beaten up...
Agree, I would not worry if it was rifle even with gun's stock in perfect condition and available everywhere (as it was 15 years ago) for $100-150... But these days it is pretty expensive surplus rifle (> $400-500).

And that is what I want to protect on the stock - Shooting Match Stickers. It looks like couple of stickers are already missing, but still have stickers 1990 (?), 1992, 1994, 1996.

Another interesting part about this rifle is that by serial # this is 1954 K31. But the matching ## stock on it is 1944 production and it is suppose to be walnut wood instead of beech wood (as on the rifles after 1946).

Shooting_Stickers_1.JPG

Get a tabletop CNC router like an Xcarve or Shapeoko, learn some CAD, buy some plywood.
Carbide 3D
X-Carve

CNC router is not a problem by itself - no need to buy it. There are many companies with CNC routers around.

The problem is to have/find correct and PRECISELY scanned 3D-file of K31 stock. I just cannot understand why Swiss could make K31 stocks VERY PRECISE in 1931 at the factory, but modern stocks for K31 (with all available 3D scanning and CNC) cost a lot of money OR require major fitting (for unfinished stocks at reasonable price ~ $100).

The worst part, that in Switzerland you still can buy K31 rifle in very good condition under 200 CHf ( about $200), but as was noted above, bringing it to US will be not as simple or cheap.

P.S. I guess, I need to post some links and pictures of modified/modern stocks for K31 I was able to find so far. Just to give an idea what price tag we are talking about....

Boyds make a sort of a replica stock for the K31 - rumour has it that it needs a deal of work, so it's best to be handy. Back over in CH you can buy a K31 stock for not a lot of money but getting one in the USA - a real one, that is, would be a gamble that I'm betting you'd lose.

Whereabouts are you located in PNW? Reason I asked is the Centrex in Canada often have stocks for unusual firearms. I'll have look and get back to you.

Thank you, Everyone & tac, for all the information and knowledge.

When I was searching for K31 replacement stock, many different boards mentioned a stock made by Boyds ( Build & Price Hardwood Gunstocks | Boyds Hardwood Gunstocks I guess). May be that web-site was re-done, but I cannot find any working links or even find K31 in stock configuration (build & price menu).

Another problem that many links (even on original web-sites) are pointing to the items which are "Out-of-stock", but you will realize it only after good look at the description (in small letters) or when trying to buy it. Very common problem on many web-site selling Swiss rifles.

I pretty often passing by through Portland, OR. I tried to find Centrex in Canada on the Web - could not find it (all links I got so far are not related to gun stocks). Shipping from Canada should not be a problem. If this company is near Can/ WA border, I could get there pretty easy.

CNC router is not a problem by itself - no need to buy it. There are many companies with CNC routers around.

The problem is to have/find correct and PRECISELY scanned 3D-file of K31 stock. ...

Why wait? Break out the calipers -- once you have good measurements of the negative space inside the stock, you can do just about whatever you want for the outside (providing it doesn't interfere with anything). ;-)

Why wait? Break out the calipers -- once you have good measurements of the negative space inside the stock, you can do just about whatever you want for the outside (providing it doesn't interfere with anything). ;-)

Too many projects on hands. Need to finish some while weather allows ;-)))

I will save this project for 3D CAD for rainy days ;-) It would be easier to measure the barrel with the action and start from there. On K31 it is all one piece + 2 mounting bolts. I believe that how some companies do the sporter stocks based on "inlet pattern".

On other hand, if measure the gun stock, it is need to have at least good one. Best of all to have 2-3 in perfect condition to compare measurements results. And THEN put it in 3D.
It might be less time consuming (and might be even cheaper) just to 3D scan it. But again, it is need to have perfect stock as a model.

I ruled out Gun Stock Replicator at this point - it requires highly skilled labor.

Swiss did a lot of engineering and testing for this rifle. This applies to a gun stock too. I do not think that it is need to "improve" original stock. May be only for target/bench shooting, but not for a "field" use.

That what I could find so far about more or less available K31 replacement stocks. May be someone could add more...

Original K-31 Stock (to compare). I personally like it more than "modified" ones.

Original_K_31.jpg

K-31 After market stocks (several manufacturers below). For more information follow the links provided.

BlueGrass Stock Company (price >= $300)

Gallery – Bluegrass Gunstocks

Design Your Own K-31 Sporter Package – Bluegrass Gunstocks

Design Your Own K-31 Tactical Package – Bluegrass Gunstocks

BG_K-k31-stocks.jpg

Aluminum Chassis for Swiss K31 Rifles by Sureshot Armament Group (price ~ $1400)

New: Aluminum Chassis for Swiss K31 Rifles by Sureshot Armament Group -

Sureshot-Armament-Schmidt-Rubin-K31-1.jpg

K31 Sniper Chassis system from Wyssen Defence Switzerland (price ~ $2,000)

K31 Sniper Chassis system from Wyssen Defence Switzerland -

K31_Wyssen_9946166_w800_Cropped.jpg

I tried to find Centrex in Canada on the Web - could not find it (all links I got so far are not related to gun stocks). Shipping from Canada should not be a problem. If this company is near Can/ WA border, I could get there pretty easy.

My wrong - TRADEX. :(

They are located about two thousand miles East of you -

T.E.C. Trade Ex Canada Inc

1460 Main Street East

Hawkesbury, Ontario

K6A 1C7

Canada

TOLL FREE: 1-866-635-2829

Tel: 613-632-4848

Apropos the spiffy-looking alOOminum stock above - 'Also, a chassis like SAG's one doesn't make any permanent modifications to the gun and you can swap back the original stock anytime you want.'

What? And 'Huh?' :eek:

If you look carishly you'll note that the barrel has a whopping great muzzle brake fitted. The foresight block is totally missing, and the barrel seems to have been shortened by about an inch - at least.

This, Friends, in my opinion at least, DOES constitute 'permanent modifications', as the K31 foresight unit that is now absent, is brazed onto the barrel, the new muzzle brake appears to be threaded on, and the barrel is shortened.

Hmmmmm.

As an aside - if you already have a K31 and it seems a mite too lively for you, my good friends over in Kalispell MT, Swiss Products, make an amazingly effective device that reduces perceived recoil by around 30%. There are two versions - one that clamps on sooooooooo closely that you are hard-pressed to see the join, and another, more permanent version that threads on, using the die and guide they provide. I don't have one, since the recoil of the K31 is something I've lived with since I was fifteen, but having shot one that IS so fitted, I can opine that it feels more like shooting a thutty-thutty than a 174gr FMJ at 2650 fps.

2e1374_66cbb8f38aab4e63a972ef50d0747c76~mv2.webp

Image courtesy of Swiss Products.Inc.

https://www.swissproductsusa.com/shop

If you DO ever deal with them, tell them I sent you. We like to keep things 'in the family', right?

Last Edited:
Unfortunately, this company does NOT ship ANYTHING to USA :-((((

And as you mentioned, it is on another Coast - too far for a visit in person there.

Last Edited:
Sorry about that - I've just been talking to their manager about it, who reminded me the same thing. I DO have close Swiss shooting connections in Québec, if you want me to go further with it on your behalf?

Last Edited:
Leave conversation is how to clear the inbox, @tac...

Also try calling Western Gun Parts. I have bought several stocks through them (off gunbroker) over the years, albeit mostly Marin stuff. They are also Canadian and seem to have no problem shipping to their southern neighbors.

Non-un-De-select unstar leave?

How the blue blazes do I clear out my inbox?

tac, there should be a little check box right next to the topic of you conversation. If you check that box a menu will drop down where you can select "leave Conversation". You can also open a conversation and in the upper right of the conversation will be choices to "EDIT" "Mark Unread" AND "Leave Conversation". The easier method is to use the check boxes at the top left of the individual convo's and just go down the line. :D

Bigger issue in my mind...will barreled action be accurate in this alien stock/bedding.

Swiss knew what kind of bedding brought out K31 accuracy.

I know this, my K31 is so accurate that I am not going to mess with "improving" it.

Agree... Swiss used the same type of stock for their military rifles 1891-1958. And I like original look of K31 anyway. All these "modified" stocks just make it "average modern/cool gun" and take out the true character and beauty of this rifle.

After reading a lot of information about "original set up vs. floating barrel", I agree with the points made about front end support of the barrel by original stock and its effect on improving accuracy of the rifle. Plus there is some information how tightening front barrel band and rear receiver tang affect accuracy and POI of K31 - need to keep that one in mind too.

Especially after watching videos how rifle barrels are being straightened at the factory (during modern production of various guns) simply by bending a barrel by hand press, I would not consider using "free-floating barrel" stock for a field use.

That why I am still looking for original K 31 stock ;-)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top