JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a smith and Wesson rescue knife and i lost one of the tiny screws that hold the pocket clip on. SW said i could send it back and they could warranty it but i figured it might be easier to just find a replacement screw. Problem is trying to find what size it is. I measured the thread diameter and it's .078" and I'm not having much luck finding something like that. Does anyone know where to find these small screws or how to figure out what size/thread pitch it is so i can do a better search?

2473B0AE-9D41-473B-AAA2-58A86501BF8F.jpeg image.jpg

IIRC, it's Chinese junk. Can't tell you how many Chinese Army (CNA) knives I've had that have fallen apart.
Recommend stopping by a place that sells CNA knives cheap and examine ones for screw compatibility. They should be under $6.

Next time (if I may suggest, off the top of my head)......

Kershaw, Leatherman and Benchmade knives (and other products).

Aloha, Mark

PS....Made in OR. Yeah....maybe not all of their products actually/really are.

Oooops.....sorry, you're from Everett.

Last Edited:
I have a smith and Wesson rescue knife and i lost one of the tiny screws that hold the pocket clip on. SW said i could send it back and they could warranty it but i figured it might be easier to just find a replacement screw. Problem is trying to find what size it is. I measured the thread diameter and it's .078" and I'm not having much luck finding something like that. Does anyone know where to find these small screws or how to figure out what size/thread pitch it is so i can do a better search?

View attachment 816182 View attachment 816183
Bring the gubbins to any Ace Hardware, they're likely to have replacements.

CrMo derivative blades are great for tuck & pointing masonry when a chisel is too much. They are also my "throw away" blades for tasks while out hunting or camping that would otherwise ruin a great hunting blade.
I know, you're just shoveling the stall nuggets my way... ;)

Go to a local hardware store that carries a large assortment of fasteners, this is going to be an Ace Hardware usually and a lot of times has a local franchise owner name. Home Depot and Lowes aren't going to have what you need. Is the time an effort really worth it though or could you spend more in gas and time then just going online and buying another to replace it?

Wow, fella just wanted a fastener, not a bunch of lectures about buying USA Mfg product. Not everyone can afford a $200 knife.

Might be metric. Inch series 1-72 thread measures slightly less than .078 and the next size up 2-56 is too large. I'd let S&W warranty it as they offered, but if not, best to take to the local hardware store and see if you can match it up like Orhunter says.

As part of my EDC, I've had a number of pocket knives fall apart (or out of favor) over the decades. So I keep a cigar box with a couple dozen past favorites in my office (China and USA have equal fail/attrition rates in my experience, so I'm not here to pass judgement on what other people buy).

It's amazing how many different screws I find in my knives. All are tiny and VERY similar in appearance. In a few cases, I've managed to cannibalize old knives and find suitable replacement screws for my current keepers.

+1 on ma96782's red Loctite idea.

BTW, if you ever lose a knife you really like, I've discovered a foolproof way to find it.

- Conduct a thorough search 3-4 times. Office, shop, backpack, furniture, junk drawer, vehicles, laundry, tool belt, shed, etc.
- Repeat the entire search process daily for a week or two.
- Ask friends to check their couches.
- Give up. No faking. Really give up in disgust.
- Find an exact replacement and buy it.

It should take a day, maybe two, for the missing knife to turn up - right under your nose, right where you suddenly remember leaving it. Works every time.

Last Edited:

sometimes I find items there which can be challenging to locate such as a spring which typically are sold by the factory only if you send the knife in. prices on stuff I've ordered were pretty reasonable.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top