JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Springfield M1A standard with a Springfield 4x14 x 56 scope. It has less than a hundred rounds through it. I'd like to sell or trade it for a 308 target rifle but I don't have a particular gun in mind and I'm looking for suggestions on what I could get that is an equal value; if a need to I'll spend some cash on top to get a decent scope. Quality wise I'm not looking for something for competition, just a gun that will give me the most out of my reloads.

Thanks

Dave

I have a Springfield M1A standard with a Springfield 4x14 x 56 scope. It has less than a hundred rounds through it. I'd like to sell or trade it for a 308 target rifle but I don't have a particular gun in mind and I'm looking for suggestions on what I could get that is an equal value; if a need to I'll spend some cash on top to get a decent scope. Quality wise I'm not looking for something for competition, just a gun that will give me the most out of my reloads.

Thanks

Dave

Funny, I've been thinking of trading my Springfield SAR3/8 (one of the good ones) with Zeiss/Hensoldt FERO-Z scope for a Springfield Standard with Springfield scope.

Keith

Hard to imagine a better target rifle in .308 than an M1A/M14....especially if you're willing to tune your handloads to it.

Just sayin...

I've read opinions all over the board on the accuracy of an out of the box standard. I just finished reading an article about the steps you can take to a accurize the standard to shoot like a Loaded or a NM. With the right loads will a stock standard shoot as well as a heavy barrel bolt gun?

I've read opinions all over the board on the accuracy of an out of the box standard. I just finished reading an article about the steps you can take to a accurize the standard to shoot like a Loaded or a NM. With the right loads will a stock standard shoot as well as a heavy barrel bolt gun?

I've got a 4th gen scope mount on my loaded m1a and it shoots as well (if not better) than my Remington 700, my Savage 10BA or my Savage 16fcss. Plus you get the added bonus of a 20 round magazine :s0155:

Thanks

Dave

So you don't want to be competetive, but want "the mostest awesomestes"... By the sound of it, you haven't reloaded for YOUR gun; probably shot the cheapest stuff you could afford.... Start with reloading for your gun. If you have less than 100 round through it, you haven't tried to make anything work.

The answer to your question is, that you probably already have a gun that will out-shoot you.... You just haven't put enough effort into it yet. In which case, ANY new gun may not live-up to your expectations either.

I have a Savage 12 FVSS that you could buy ;) It will shoot 1/2 moa with handloads.

But you should keep the M1A.

One possibility would be a target model AR platform in .308 if you want to keep a semi-auto.

No, not even close. With a standard M1A adding a unitized gas system, trigger work, tighten the stock fit may get you near moa with the best loads. Even the NM models are hard pressed to be a consistent sub moa rifle.

The accuracy of an out of the box standard may be around 3-4moa with surplus ammo and 2 moa with hand loads. These are battle rifle not target rifles. I see all the same claims of sub moa with standard M1A's, the only problem is duplicating it anyplace but the internet.

If you want a sub moa gas rifle in .308 the AR-10 from ArmaLite or N6 from Noveske or possible the CMMG .308 AR would be good candidates.

I've been loading for my NM M1A since 1981, I added a second M1A in 89 that's a gi rifle. Both are great rifles but my Noveske N6 is much more accurate. The AMU has gone to the AR-10, have worked through Garands, M1A's and AR15's over the past fifty years.

No, not even close. With a standard M1A adding a unitized gas system, trigger work, tighten the stock fit may get you near moa with the best loads. Even the NM models are hard pressed to be a consistent sub moa rifle.

That's true with a standard stock, but a consistent sub moa M14 rifle is possible once the standard stock is replaced with a SAGE EBR chassis.

From M14 Rifle History and Development Fifth Edition by Lee Emerson copyright 2011,

"M14 EBR-RI - In 2008, the U. S. Army Tank Automotive Command (TACOM) began a project to modernize the M14 in support of U. S. Army units in Iraq. This work was performed by the Weapons Product Support Integration Directorate of the TACOM Life Cycle Management Command at Rock Island, IL. The M14 EBR-RI Program Manager was Doug Carlstrom from inception through at least June 2010. The first 400 M14 Enhanced Battle Rifle - Rock Island (M14 EBR-RI) rifles had been completed by June 2008. Another 2,200 units had been completed by March 2009. On May 05, 2010, TACOM completed its five thousandth M14 EBR-RI rifle. Another thirty units were completed that month to fulfill all requests submitted by combat unit commanders to date. The conversion of a M14 to a M14 EBR-RI included replacing the M14 stock with a Sage International late second generation M14 EBR stock, reaming the flash suppressor, replacing the cartridge clip guide with a detachable cantilevered sight base (Sage part number M14DCSB), shimming the gas cylinder, and adding a vertical grip (Sage part number 4249), a Harris bipod and a Leupold & Stevens, Inc. variable 3.5-10X day scope with medium height rings. The M14 EBR-RI rifle was shipped to the combat unit with six magazines, a vertical fore grip, a sling, an Otis Products, Inc. cleaning kit, a combination tool and operator manual. By mid-2009, some minor changes were made on new rifles: 1) a crush washer replaced the stainless steel shims 2) a redesigned operating rod guide to make use of the hand guard screws and 3) an improved detachable cantilevered sight base. The acceptance criteria was a maximum of 1.5 MOA with the result averaging 0.89 MOA for the first 5,000 built. The five TACOM rifle builders observed that TRW and Winchester barreled actions typically delivered the best accuracy. Only one rifle in the first 5,000 units was rejected for not meeting the accuracy requirement."

What's truly amazing about the M14EBR-RI is that all of the barrels are standard weight 22.0" chrome lined USGI tubes.

The accuracy of an out of the box standard may be around 3-4moa with surplus ammo and 2 moa with hand loads. These are battle rifle not target rifles. I see all the same claims of sub moa with standard M1A's, the only problem is duplicating it anyplace but the internet.

If you want a sub moa gas rifle in .308 the AR-10 from ArmaLite or N6 from Noveske or possible the CMMG .308 AR would be good candidates.

I've been loading for my NM M1A since 1981, I added a second M1A in 89 that's a gi rifle. Both are great rifles but my Noveske N6 is much more accurate. The AMU has gone to the AR-10, have worked through Garands, M1A's and AR15's over the past fifty years.

Madcratebuilder,

Thanks for the reply. I'm willing to put the time in to tuning my reloads, but I'm not really interested in putting a lot of time and money into the rifle at this point just to get 2 MOA accuracy, which is why I considered trading it. I have prettey much decided to keep it; I have other rifles and pistols to trade and or cash if really think that I need a bolt rifle.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top