JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A commenter over at Oregonlive (Kevin Starrett Op Ed) was gloating about the election successes they had in Oregon this past November. It went something like this:
SecurityGuyAndy said this "FACT.
Democrats control Oregon's government.
They hold majorities in the legislature, in the county commissions of the 3 largest metro counties, Benton County, Lincoln County, Clatsop County, the cities of Portland, Beaverton, Oregon City, Corvallis, and Eugene, hold 4 of the 5 state elective offices, 4 of 5 congressional districts, and both US Senate seats. The writing is on the wall."

What he said is true and I replied with this:
"SGA doesn't lie. Many of you freedom lovers, live in districts owned by Antis. During election periods you throw up your hands and say what can I do, antis are running uncontested, I have no voice here. Guess what, there are districts elsewhere in the State that could have been won. If you live in a lost cause district, reach out to freedom loving candidates in closer race districts and help them out. There is no reason our State should have a Anti-Freedom Super Majority in both houses this year. Seriously, apathy is to blame for this demise of our freedoms that is likely to occur this year. We can turn things around in 2020 if we get off the couch and pay attention to candidates statewide. Until then, let the Dems in these close race districts know you are watching their votes and it will come back to haunt them in 2020. The 2020 election cycle has already started, don't be stingy with your support or before you know it Oregon will be a third world freedom SH like CA and WA."

Back to Rep. Nearman's quote in the title of this thread. I think Rep. Nearman is absolutely correct that we need to start looking at the 2020 election cycle now. As I mentioned in my Oregonlive reply, we really need to support candidates statewide instead of the focusing strictly on the districts we live in. I have said this before and I will keep saying it, we need to reach out to freedom loving candidates in close race districts no matter where they are in our State. It doesn't have to be financial support, reach out to the candidates and see what kind of help they could use. We can turn the ship in 2020 if we rally around the candidates in the close race districts. Even if that means winning a couple of races to eliminate the super majority in one chamber.

Last Edited:
If you believe having the pro2a electorate support out of district pro2a candidates is going to be a difficult task, what do you think the barriers would be? How could we break through those barriers?

When you want advice on your car, do you call a dentist? Or do you ask a professional? Remind politicians that street cops OVERWHELMINGLY support the 2A. It's not even close. These are information snippets and links I gathered with a little online research. It's all verifiable. USE IT IN YOUR CALLS AND EMAILS

Police officers are considerably more likely than the general public to say it is more important to protect the rights of Americans to own guns than it is to control gun ownership (74% of officers vs. 53% of the public). (Pew Social Trends, January 2017)

National Association of Chiefs of Police Survey polled 20,000 sheriffs and police officers. 76% say that armed citizens help law enforcement reduce violent crime. They are more pro-gun than the general public. This links to their results:
https://crimeresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/NACOP-surveyresults-2016.pdf

Rank-and file-police show even stronger support for private gun ownership. PoliceOne, an organization of about 380,000 active and 70,000 retired officers, surveyed 16,000 members on the gun control in 2013. 71% say assualt weapon bans have no effect on violent crime, and 20% say it would make violent crime worse. This is a link to their results
http://ddq74coujkv1i.cloudfront.net/p1_gunsurveysummary_2013.pdf

This links to a Quora topic on police and gun control

https://www.quora.com/What-do-polic...ement-professionals-think-of-gun-control-laws

When you want advice on your car, do you call a dentist? Or do you ask a professional? Remind politicians that street cops OVERWHELMINGLY support the 2A. It's not even close. These are information snippets and links I gathered with a little online research. It's all verifiable. USE IT IN YOUR CALLS AND EMAILS

Police officers are considerably more likely than the general public to say it is more important to protect the rights of Americans to own guns than it is to control gun ownership (74% of officers vs. 53% of the public). (Pew Social Trends, January 2017)

National Association of Chiefs of Police Survey polled 20,000 sheriffs and police officers. 76% say that armed citizens help law enforcement reduce violent crime. They are more pro-gun than the general public. This links to their results:
https://crimeresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/NACOP-surveyresults-2016.pdf

Rank-and file-police show even stronger support for private gun ownership. PoliceOne, an organization of about 380,000 active and 70,000 retired officers, surveyed 16,000 members on the gun control in 2013. 71% say assualt weapon bans have no effect on violent crime, and 20% say it would make violent crime worse. This is a link to their results
http://ddq74coujkv1i.cloudfront.net/p1_gunsurveysummary_2013.pdf

This links to a Quora topic on police and gun control

https://www.quora.com/What-do-polic...ement-professionals-think-of-gun-control-laws
I would like to see more LEOs writing op eds and come out publicy to share these pro2a opinions. Maybe they are worried about their job security if they do. How about former LEOs?

Find a friendly legislator. Talk them into adding this amendment to every anti-gun bill:

The restrictions and penalties in this bill shall apply to all security personnel and sworn officers while they are on duty protecting any Oregon elected official.

The vote on that amendment should be recorded and reported everywhere.

It's not rocket science. If you are in Oregon you just need to be registered and mail/drop in your ballot. It takes a super act of laziness not to do that. Stop preaching to the choir and start preaching to a friend you are willing to lose. I've actually gained a few shooting buddies.

It's not rocket science. If you are in Oregon you just need to be registered and mail/drop in your ballot. It takes a super act of laziness not to do that. Stop preaching to the choir and start preaching to a friend you are willing to lose. I've actually gained a few shooting buddies.
It's not always that easy. There are quite a few pro2a voters who live in districts where they don't have pro2a candidate options on the ballot. Any suggestions on how they can still have an impact on getting pro2a candidates elected elsewhere in the state?

Last Edited:
It's not always that easy. There are quite a few pro2a voters who live in districts where they don't have pro2a candidate options on the ballot. Any suggestions on how they can still have an impact on getting pro2a candidates elected elsewhere in the state?

NYC was attempting to pass a law legalizing murdering babies. Oregon is attempting outrageous gun laws to a never seen before level. Both were never believed able to be attempted in the US previously. The people behind it didn't say, let's try it once and if it doesn't work so be it. These people don't give up and neither can we. Of course there are loses but don't stop. Otherwise intelligent hard working people are getting dragged farther to the left because we won't check them. My rights are more important than my friendships. I can always make new friends but I can't always get my rights back.

Every anti gun rights candidate has an opponent. They aren't likely to be as polished and popular but giving them support is sometimes the only option except not participating. When you don't participate you give up the reigns and then you get what you get. Look what we got. Buehler got a soft reception because too many just gave up. The charts only show who voted. Not the thousands that did not take part. What will be the excuse next time while we are wailing on the background checks for ammo like in California?

NYC was attempting to pass a law legalizing murdering babies. Oregon is attempting outrageous gun laws to a never seen before level. Both were never believed able to be attempted in the US previously. The people behind it didn't say, let's try it once and if it doesn't work so be it. These people don't give up and neither can we. Of course there are loses but don't stop. Otherwise intelligent hard working people are getting dragged farther to the left because we won't check them. My rights are more important than my friendships. I can always make new friends but I can't always get my rights back.

Every anti gun rights candidate has an opponent. They aren't likely to be as polished and popular but giving them support is sometimes the only option except not participating. When you don't participate you give up the reigns and then you get what you get. Look what we got. Buehler got a soft reception because too many just gave up. The charts only show who voted. Not the thousands that did not take part. What will be the excuse next time while we are wailing on the background checks for ammo like in California?
To clarify my point about some districts lack of pro2a candidate options. The following House Districts had anti-gun candidates running unopposed: 13, 16, 36, 38, 41, 43, 45, 46, 47, and 50. There were number of other house districts running some 3rd party candidates that may or may not have been pro2A. The only option voters would have had to vote for pro2a candidates in these districts is a write in candidate. I would have encouraged them to do that but it probably would have left them feeling a bit disenfranchised.

I agree with many of your points but let me offer another suggestion that these voters could have done to feel like they had more of an impact on pro2a make up of our legislature. They could have helped other pro2a candidates running in districts outside of their own. There is no law or rule that would prevent somebody living in one district from helping a candidate in another district. The districts I listed above are some of the most populated in the State and there is surely a bunch of pro2a people living there who could be a big help in getting pro2a candidates elected in other districts around the State.

Voting is not easy, especially now since we should be looking at 2A views of every candidate all the way down to those running for city counsel. It takes work and getting people on board for helping out a candidates outside of their own districts seems to be an a nearly impossible task. I have been trying and when I bring it up it is not a popular subject. I think people on our side are experiencing a burn out of sorts and that will probably get worse as the anti-bs keeps rolling in. I will keep trying.

I believe we mostly agree. As I understood my ballot I cannot vote for certain positions outside of my district. Mayor, state Rep, senator and the like. There were some local or county positions that crossed areas. I agree you can and should support candidates outside your area when possible.

YES! Get accounts with major newspapers to post on their articles. Yahoo too. Most do not force you to subscribe. Use the pro-2A arguments here to defend the 2A. Use the same arguments to state and national legislators.

If you are concerned about anonymity, get an email account from some place like reagan dot com or protonmail. And get a VPN subcription to confuse the IP address trackers.

If you live in a deep blue zone, donate money to pro-2A candidates in other areas. If Bloomberg can do it, so can you. Just not as much.

Network with others. Ask your friends and folks here to participate. Check on each others' progress.

To clarify my point about some districts lack of pro2a candidate options. The following House Districts had anti-gun candidates running unopposed: 13, 16, 36, 38, 41, 43, 45, 46, 47, and 50. There were number of other house districts running some 3rd party candidates that may or may not have been pro2A. The only option voters would have had to vote for pro2a candidates in these districts is a write in candidate.

Jeff Barker has run unopposed for 3 elections now. The last time he was opposed was 2012. Coincidentally that was also the last time he held a town hall event and sent mail so I could go listen. The guy who ran against him was a young Latino who owns a business. He decided to run for office because his children who speak perfect English with A averages were being transferred into ESL classes so the school could get more money from the state. They just put his kids there without consulting him. Not even a phone call. The school people did it twice. So he ran for office. He went door to door, ran ads on radio and got interviews on radio talk shows. The district has a high Latino population. Everyone loved him and he lost by 20%. Makes me wonder three things:
1: Are the mail-in ballots fairly counted?
2: Is there such a place where the GOP wont' even try because the D-count is that high?
3: What does it take? Does the Party help you or are you on your own?

Last Edited:
I do some research, try to find helpful information to support the second amendment side of the debate. I post a lot of that here, specifically so others can use it as their own in letters to editors, letters/calls to politicians and posts in newspapers, Facebook or whatever. Do people here want the material? Is it helpful? You can find lots just by searching with my name dancinghippos. I would hope to find some of it on Oregonlive and other news sites.

I do some research, try to find helpful information to support the second amendment side of the debate. I post a lot of that here, specifically so others can use it as their own in letters to editors, letters/calls to politicians and posts in newspapers, Facebook or whatever. Do people here want the material? Is it helpful? You can find lots just by searching with my name dancinghippos. I would hope to find some of it on Oregonlive and other news sites.
I find your thoughts and suggestions very detailed and helpful. Thanks for putting the energy in to it. I wish we had an organization that was assisting the pro2a candidates in our State. I know OFF provides the "Grades" but we need some professionals who can solict the support for races that are winnable. The GOP organization here is not cutting it in imho. The $20,000 grand they gave to an anti-gun rhino candidate Selma Pierce was evidence they don't have their finger on pulse of pro2a voters. Rep Mclane was supportive of Rep Helt who is another anti-gun rhino. The State GOP is going soft on us.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top