JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Jeff Barker has run unopposed for 3 elections now. The last time he was opposed was 2012. Coincidentally that was also the last time he held a town hall event and sent mail so I could go listen. The guy who ran against him was a young Latino who owns a business. He decided to run for office because his children who speak perfect English with A averages were being transferred into ESL classes so the school could get more money from the state. They just put his kids there without consulting him. Not even a phone call. The school people did it twice. So he ran for office. He went door to door, ran ads on radio and got interviews on radio talk shows. The district has a high Latino population. Everyone loved him and he lost by 20%. Makes me wonder three things:
1: Are the mail-in ballots fairly counted?
2: Is there such a place where the GOP wont' even try because the D-count is that high?
3: What does it take? Does the Party help you or are you on your own?
The schools are motivated to put kids in ESL category because the state gives them a lot more money for ESL kids. I heard years ago when my youngest was in elementary school that it was about 50% more funds from State for ESL kids. The really crazy thing is my son's school was going to switch over the youngest grades to dual language immersion classes. They were going to start teaching all the kids in spanish and english. I was pissed and exchanged a few emails with the principal but it was set in stone already.

I find your thoughts and suggestions very detailed and helpful. Thanks for putting the energy in to it. I wish we had an organization that was assisting the pro2a candidates in our State. I know OFF provides the "Grades" but we need some professionals who can solict the support for races that are winnable. The GOP organization here is not cutting it in imho. The $20,000 grand they gave to an anti-gun rhino candidate Selma Pierce was evidence they don't have their finger on pulse of pro2a voters. Rep Mclane was supportive of Rep Helt who is another anti-gun rhino. The State GOP is going soft on us.
I know a guy on WashCo GOP who has his head on right. Touching base with them might help. He and I both share the notion that OR GOP isn't all that. He and I have rather stressful jobs, so time on 2A tasks is spotty. But they have some active people.

It's not rocket science. If you are in Oregon you just need to be registered and mail/drop in your ballot. It takes a super act of laziness not to do that. Stop preaching to the choir and start preaching to a friend you are willing to lose. I've actually gained a few shooting buddies.
A friend has been doing this for decades: Offer to teach people to shoot. "My gun, my ammunition". Get them past the fear of the unknown. "Hey, I know we respectfully disagree on gun issues, but I think you might enjoy at least learning about them. My gun, my ammunition, I will even buy you lunch". Show them a really good time. Make it easy for them to succeed. Take a very easy thing, like a .22 to start. Make sure they understand the safety rules, make sure they "see" you teaching them safety. That just broke one bad stereotype. Then teach them to shoot with the .22 and make sure they have a win.
Have a 9mm available if they want to step up after they can hit what they aim at with the .22. The important thing is that they get a win right away. You won't get that if you hand them a 44 mag on the first shot. Make it easy and fun. They walk out having learned something and liking it. And they no longer have that irrational fear that makes them vote irrationally.

Last Edited:
There are three concerns of anti-gun people that I feel are valid:
  1. Violent criminals getting weapons to use in future crimes
  2. Crazy people getting weapons
  3. People with inadequate training carrying weapons and using them even in a justifiable situation, because they can be as dangerous to others as the criminals they are combatting
The anti-gun people (say they) are most concerned with guns getting into the hands of crazies and criminals. And they (say they) are concerned about CC permit holders with no training hitting innocent bystanders.

If we were magically in a state/country where there was 100% agreement on the right of adults with clean backgrounds and training to have modern guns, and 100% agreement that a criminal or crazy history would disqualify, would that be a good starting place?

Most gun owners' concerns against universal background checks is really a lack of trust in people who blame their hobby for the crimes of their constituents. They have a concern that background checks become a database of gun owners for future confiscation.

What if that concern was addressed in the bills? Liberals could enact strong checks, and gun owners could feel less like a target and more like a citizen again.
How about every bill that concerns background checks includes this language:
No data collected in the process of background checks shall be preserved after 90 days. The <background_checkers> shall destroy any material containing names, addresses and serial numbers of the weapons.

Any other gun bill should contain this language:
Nothing in this legislation shall ever be construed or implemented in a way that infringes on the right of Oregon residents with no criminal history from owning, possessing and using modern firearms.

And any concealed carry permit needs not just the class teaching Oregon law, but a demonstrated proficiency in a gun's use. The state could have a list of gun trainers whose certificate is valid for a "shall issue" permit.

This is my attempt to find common ground between people with legitimate concerns on both sides of the matter. Can I see some thoughts, suggestions, or ideas about getting gun-friendly legislators to discuss these options with the other legislators?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top