JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This thread didn't start out this way but I got to say something...

Like everyone else on here I agree that you need to stay out of the left lane unless you are going to pass someone. What is it about human nature that makes people drive under 60 in the left lane, then when someone who doesn't have all day to take a slow Sunday drive on a busy freeway wants to get around them, they want to speed up to 70 to prevent you from getting in front?!? I had a P.A. system in one of my older vehicles, very good at letting people know how idiotic they are. Also good at stirring up trouble, which is why I go without it now.

Bottom line, if you are in the left lane and notice you are traveling the same speed as the cars to your right, MOVE OVER, let people get around you. The Seattle Traffic situation would not be nearly as bad if people knew how to drive efficiently.

Just to be clear, I was making this a general statement, and not one directed to the OP. I was not there. Just expressing my opinion as it relates to the topic (however indirectly it may be).:s0155:

Cougfan2- I understand and feel for where you are coming from. The world is not perfect and neither are these other people. One thing all forum users are good at is passing judgment on others. If I am passing in the left lane and somebody gets on my *** then that's where they get to stay so long as I am passing. If they approach me and maintain a suitable distance I'll get over as soon as I can safely. I have been guilty of brake checking a time or two... I don't slam on my brakes but I will tap them lightly so they can see my brake lights and back the **** up. Then some people are just entitled asshats and expect people to get out of their way with automotive bullying which I consider assault with a deadly weapon. Those people can stay on my ***, the best case situation I keep them off of somebody else, worse case situation they buy me a new bumper. I have also been guilty of following the person until they got home and then drove by slowly and took a picture of their license plate. I've never done anything with it, but I guarantee it will make them think the next time. In an emergency that lady would of been honking her horn and flashing her lights not just make angry gestures at you.

My cousin got shot at on the Harbor Fwy driving through South Los Angeles one time. He wouldn't get out of the way of some psychopath who was flashing his brights and honking at him. So, I guess Mr. Psychopath decided to make him get out of the way by force. From what I understand he shot a few rounds at my cousin and missed. Thank God. The bullets broke the windshield but didn't hit him.

Well, considering this happened in LA, maybe you cannot call it road rage, but just poor communication :s0114::s0112: .

There has been few times in Southern California where I thought I get my windshield blown out.

However, surprisingly, Vancouver , WA is a place I experienced way too much road rage. One time, a group of shaved heads guys in a truck where honking at me and acting aggressive. They swerved around me, stopped the car and one baldy gets out and starts screaming at me waving his arms like he wants to fight. I had my hand on my .45 (not visible to him) and just saying a few prayers acting quite shocked. I figured the guy just wanted to mouth off to release some steam. After cussing me out and acting tough, he jumps back into his car and swerves off with his buddies. What did I do to him?? I think my sin was just happening to be in front of him when he was having his temper tantrum. You cannot win sometimes, you know?

some people are just entitled asshats

My point exactly.
I drive 30,000+ miles a year in a company vehicle emblazoned with my company name and a 'How's my Driving?' number on the back. Company policy is 'guilty until proven innocent' on any calls made. I've got a BIG target on my back, yet have customers with equipment down from Salem to Chehalis, Sandy to Seaside. I don't have much time to lollygag.

I do meet my share of asshats who feel entitled to the left lane, however.

I also see my share of anxious fast burners.

I stay out of the hammer lane, unless in the active mode of passing. If I get an anxious fella on my tail, even in the middle of passing a string of middle lane commuters, I'll find a space and move over.

Why? Because it's a Win, Win to politely move over.

First, you've avoided antagonizing anyone. Second, you've facilitated the efficient flow of traffic. Third...You got a RABBIT. Let that rabbit run. Johnny Law now has an effective diversion, and you are now free to bump up your cruise control a notch or two.

This works especially well coming into Vancouver from the north on I-5 in the morning. I've paused my customary 8 mph over commute to move over and let a Rabbit by, and I've seen 3 of those rabbits having a conversation with the WSP stormtrooper in the shoulder a mile down the road.

If you want to 'enforce justice' or 'make them pay'...just move over and let 'em run. It's less stressful for everyone.

I will admit that I spend a lot of time in the left hand lane, only because I set my cruise for about ~72 (hypothetically, of course, with no admission of anything ;) ) and I spend most of my 60+ miles a day on the freeway (right through Seattle, on top of it all) at that speed, or as close as I can get to it. The WSP doesn't bother with pulling anyone over unless they're doing 75 or more (watched it happen enough to be confident in their actions) but they definitely don't enforce the "Keep right except to pass" rule, which annoys the **** out of me. Perhaps if they did, the average speed would go up and traffic would move more efficiently and safely. Oh, wait, that's not on the list of priorities for WA DOT. My bad.

That said, I don't linger in that lane if I can be in another lane over. While visiting my home state of Texas and driving the highway from Dallas to Houston one day over the summer, my wife was going nuts because folks adhered to that rule with a passion, all the while doing about 80-85. I wouldn't imagine they'd care if there weren't a TSP ready and willing to hand out tickets for lingering in the left hand lane. When I was a kid my mother got a ticket (likely her only one her whole life!) for doing 60 or so with five cars behind her. Most other states I've been in enforce this rule, though not as stringently as Texas.

That made me realize something. WA DOT enforces the rules they think are important, so if you have a complaint about the issue, perhaps you should take it up with your elected officials. Not that the individual drivers are off the hook; but stupid drivers learn by their mistakes, and they could use the training. I'd like to see the "flash to pass" used in this country, but that would take a lot to implement, including enforcing the existing laws (sort of like the rest of the laws, such as border security, etc., but that won't happen.)

I could go on and on about drivers in Seattle, but the stupid/ignorant ones are going to keep mucking the potential flow of things until the rules get enforced.

RCW 46.61.100
Keep right except when passing, etc.
(1) Upon all roadways of sufficient width a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:

(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movement;

(b) When an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway; provided, any person so doing shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles traveling in the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the highway within such distance as to constitute an immediate hazard;

(c) Upon a roadway divided into three marked lanes and providing for two-way movement traffic under the rules applicable thereon;

(d) Upon a street or highway restricted to one-way traffic; or

(e) Upon a highway having three lanes or less, when approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle, tow truck or other vehicle providing roadside assistance while operating warning lights with three hundred sixty degree visibility, or police vehicle as described under *RCW 46.61.212(2).

(2) Upon all roadways having two or more lanes for traffic moving in the same direction, all vehicles shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, except (a) when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, (b) when traveling at a speed greater than the traffic flow, (c) when moving left to allow traffic to merge, or (d) when preparing for a left turn at an intersection, exit, or into a private road or driveway when such left turn is legally permitted. On any such roadway, a vehicle or combination over ten thousand pounds shall be driven only in the right-hand lane except under the conditions enumerated in (a) through (d) of this subsection.

(3) No vehicle towing a trailer or no vehicle or combination over ten thousand pounds may be driven in the left-hand lane of a limited access roadway having three or more lanes for traffic moving in one direction except when preparing for a left turn at an intersection, exit, or into a private road or driveway when a left turn is legally permitted. This subsection does not apply to a vehicle using a high occupancy vehicle lane. A high occupancy vehicle lane is not considered the left-hand lane of a roadway. The department of transportation, in consultation with the Washington state patrol, shall adopt rules specifying (a) those circumstances where it is permissible for other vehicles to use the left lane in case of emergency or to facilitate the orderly flow of traffic, and (b) those segments of limited access roadway to be exempt from this subsection due to the operational characteristics of the roadway.

(4) It is a traffic infraction to drive continuously in the left lane of a multilane roadway when it impedes the flow of other traffic.

(5) Upon any roadway having four or more lanes for moving traffic and providing for two-way movement of traffic, a vehicle shall not be driven to the left of the center line of the roadway except when authorized by official traffic control devices designating certain lanes to the left side of the center of the roadway for use by traffic not otherwise permitted to use such lanes, or except as permitted under subsection (1)(b) of this section. However, this subsection shall not be construed as prohibiting the crossing of the center line in making a left turn into or from an alley, private road or driveway.

One thing to remember about the left lane. Its not a free pass to travel over the speed limit. If the speed limit is 65MPH and the right lane is traveling 55 (with trucks), the center lane is traveling 65MPH, the left lane at 66MPH, the left lane is 1- entitled to travel only 66MPH until they can pull back over or have passed those traveling 65 and 2- are speeding. If you come up behind someone in the left lane traveling 66MPH and you are trying to travel 70, YOU HAVE TO WAIT! You don't have any more right to the left lane than the 66MPH car does.

If I am going to pass a car or I decide I'm going to travel in the left lane to pass slower traffic, I hate having people ride right up behind me to try to get me to move over. I may be only traveling 65MPH but if I'm passing slower traffic, I have every right to be in the left lane.

I was passing traffic NB on I5 last night and had some jackwagon pull up behind me about three to five feet off my rear bumper ( I couldn't even see the headlights of his car) to try and get me to move over. As it happened, traffic was REALLY slow in the other two lanes and so I stayed in the left lane. I was also not traveling over 65MPH but this guy seemed to think he had a right to tailgate me. I can see where people might get mad at that kind of thing.

you got that right John. people who think everyone needs to get out of their way ASAP because they're in a hurry is just as annoying, if not more, than left lane campers. it's unbelieveable how many people have this "ME ME ME FIRST! GET OUT OF THE WAY NOW!" attitude on the roads.

You're one of THOSE people.

You were violating ORS 811.315 and 811.425. Not to mention that "brake checking" is considered reckless endangerment.
I've called the cops on you people on more than one occasion.

:s0051:

Sorry but checking your brakes is NOT reckless endangerment - as you are not endangering anyone..

Good news. Maybe. WADOT has had an increasing number of complaints about left lane campers. Nowhere in the article of DOT released video did they state they intend to increase enforcement of the lab, but even a tiny step in the right direction is still a step in the right direction.
The PEMCO ad must have helped. I got a kick out of it when I first heard it and was hoping the mere concept might start something. Awareness, even for the usually unaware, is good.

Left-lane camping isn't just annoying, it's illegal - Seattle News - MyNorthwest.com

A little over a year ago, I was headed south on I-205 out of Oregon City. It was the afternoon rush. I was in the left hand lane and was maintaining speed with other traffic. A woman in an Escalade came up fast from behind me and was probably 4 ft off of my rear bumper. I tapped my breaks to see if that would make her back off. She didn't, so after about another 30 seconds I tapped them again. I could see her running her mouth at me with a furious look on her face. She found a gap in the RH lane and shot into it and accelerated until she was just in front of me and then about took my front bumper off when she cut in front of me. She then slammed on her breaks. Luckily I assumed she might do something like that so I was able to react. She then sped ahead until she was right on the tail of the next car. I got just close enough to read her license plate and then backed way off and called the police to report her as an agressive and dangerous driver. Not sure what became of it.

I will be happy to tell you exactly What became of it--NOTHING
Since you aren't a Cop your "word" means little or nothing, it is "hearsay"
I had a situation last month while a driver was merging into my lane. I purposely did not leave enough room for him to merge in front of me, unfortunately he though I would just slam on my brakes when he tried to force his way in--I did not. He smashed into my bumper & then I had to follow him around while "911" told me not to. He eventually turned off and he eventually pulled over, got out of his car & began shaking his fists at me in an agressive way that made me immediately roll up all my windows & turn up my radio to keep his shouts of "Merging is a gray area" & other witty sayings. In the end of course it was determined that the other guy was 100% at fault & I won't be "slamming on my brakes" in the future

A little over a year ago, I was headed south on I-205 out of Oregon City. It was the afternoon rush. I was in the left hand lane and was maintaining speed with other traffic. A woman in an Escalade came up fast from behind me and was probably 4 ft off of my rear bumper. I tapped my breaks to see if that would make her back off. She didn't, so after about another 30 seconds I tapped them again. I could see her running her mouth at me with a furious look on her face. She found a gap in the RH lane and shot into it and accelerated until she was just in front of me and then about took my front bumper off when she cut in front of me. She then slammed on her breaks. Luckily I assumed she might do something like that so I was able to react. She then sped ahead until she was right on the tail of the next car. I got just close enough to read her license plate and then backed way off and called the police to report her as an agressive and dangerous driver. Not sure what became of it.

No offense, but it's drivers like you that drive me (see what I did there?) bonkers. The left-hand lane is for passing, or going faster than traffic. If you want to maintain speed with other traffic, the middle lane is for you. That being said, what she did was incredibly irresponsible and foolish.

putting the brakes on when there is no reason is a violation of WA state law, if there's an accident it's YOUR fault even if they rear end you.

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

I dunno if it's law in WA State but it shouldn't be. If you're close enough for it to cause an accident YOU are to fault, I don't care what the law in your state may say. Tailgating is breaking the law in pretty much every state

There's NO, ZIP, NADA excuse for tailgating, it's dangerous and you are an @$$hole if you do so. If a person is doing the speed limit in the left lane and you come ZOOMING up behind them before it's convenient for them to move over, and YOU then tailgate, IMO YOU should get a little cooling off time in the local lockup, because YOU are endangering lives and are again, an @$$hole

I hate "left lane campers" (or we know best types) but tailgating them is folly, as is passing on the right, which is either bad driving or breaking the law, depending on your state. I tend to flash my lights at them if they have time and room to move over, but don't. I never tailgate

One thing to remember about the left lane. Its not a free pass to travel over the speed limit. If the speed limit is 65MPH and the right lane is traveling 55 (with trucks), the center lane is traveling 65MPH, the left lane at 66MPH, the left lane is 1- entitled to travel only 66MPH until they can pull back over or have passed those traveling 65 and 2- are speeding. If you come up behind someone in the left lane traveling 66MPH and you are trying to travel 70, YOU HAVE TO WAIT! You don't have any more right to the left lane than the 66MPH car does.

If I am going to pass a car or I decide I'm going to travel in the left lane to pass slower traffic, I hate having people ride right up behind me to try to get me to move over. I may be only traveling 65MPH but if I'm passing slower traffic, I have every right to be in the left lane.

I was passing traffic NB on I5 last night and had some jackwagon pull up behind me about three to five feet off my rear bumper ( I couldn't even see the headlights of his car) to try and get me to move over. As it happened, traffic was REALLY slow in the other two lanes and so I stayed in the left lane. I was also not traveling over 65MPH but this guy seemed to think he had a right to tailgate me. I can see where people might get mad at that kind of thing.

I agree with the "wait" concept if you must but basic driving etiquette states that you move over as soon as convenient for faster traffic. If I see them coming at a faster rate of speed and if I have the room, I move over in advance.. this allows for a smooth flow of traffic. If everyone would have a little more courtesy and a little less ego it would be helpful

I agree with the "wait" concept if you must but basic driving etiquette states that you move over as soon as convenient for faster traffic. If I see them coming at a faster rate of speed and if I have the room, I move over in advance.. this allows for a smooth flow of traffic. If everyone would have a little more courtesy and a little less ego it would be helpful

Truly it seems to me the whole issue revolves around Respect. I don't tailgate & I don't want driver's doing it to me

Sorry but checking your brakes is NOT reckless endangerment - as you are not endangering anyone..

It is illegal in WA!

8 former US Presidents have been NRA Members
80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
South West Washington Arms Collector member

Is this what they call Discussion Forum rage? Looks to me like about half the people in this thread are exactly the type that would commit road rage if the littlest thing set them off.

Or am I not reading these comments as they were intended?

I drive a 105,500 GVW Kenworth chassis Pioneer body dump truck and matching Pup trailer for a Paving company on an average day I see 200+ miles. I also see 6-12 people completely blowing red lights and 2-5 near wrecks. I see road rage at one level or the other all the time. And let me tell you most of you owe you life to a truck driver cause NO WAY can you pull out in front of a truck that close and accelerate fast enough to not be run over UNLESS the truck driver mashes his brakes and stops 80-100K from smashing you like a bug.

Also, isn't a rear-end accident the fault of the person in the back? 99% of the time it is. Thats what I've always been told. I'll admit I'm a brake-checker if I can't see a vehicles headlights over my tailgate. I'm NOT a left lane camper though, I will move over, when its convienent for ME. Just because some a$$clown wants to ride my butt doesn't mean I HAVE to increase speed or any other action just so they can speed by me and slam on their brakes 4 seconds later when they get behind the next person. What ticks me off the most? Driving between Rochester and Chehalis, in that terrible 2 lane "highway" and a big rig tries to pass another. One is doing 59.7 mph, and the one passing is doing 60.3 mph. Is the passing truck wrong? Nope, hes legal because he's "passing", but it sure as **** clogs up all the other cars behind him when it takes 6-7 miles to pass.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top