JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
'If' you where already in the right lane you would'nt need to worry about moving over, would you?
Ignor the traffic behind you?
Thats being a good driver?
Its inconsiderate and dangerious to 'hang-out' in the L/H lane.
I can tell where you spend your time driving.

A little over a year ago, I was headed south on I-205 out of Oregon City. It was the afternoon rush. I was in the left hand lane and was maintaining speed with other traffic. A woman in an Escalade came up fast from behind me and was probably 4 ft off of my rear bumper. I tapped my breaks to see if that would make her back off. She didn't, so after about another 30 seconds I tapped them again. I could see her running her mouth at me with a furious look on her face. She found a gap in the RH lane and shot into it and accelerated until she was just in front of me and then about took my front bumper off when she cut in front of me. She then slammed on her breaks. Luckily I assumed she might do something like that so I was able to react. She then sped ahead until she was right on the tail of the next car. I got just close enough to read her license plate and then backed way off and called the police to report her as an agressive and dangerous driver. Not sure what became of it.

My only comment on the right/left lane thing is that I use either one, as needed, to safely arrive where I'm going. State laws or not, it only makes sense for me to move to the right if someone behind me needs/wants to go faster than I will (or can) given the conditions.

Then I watch them go tailgate and bait an adverse reaction out of somebody else.

When people on the road demonstrate visible emotional immaturity, I get the h*ll out of their way. Sure, I fantasize about watching them zoom off a cliff like Wile E. Coyote (cloud of dust and everything), but it's not my place to administer defacto driving lessons with the brake pedal.

Now, while your right to occupy and defend your hard-earned position in any lane is not at stake for the moment, take a cleansing breath and ask yourself:

- Would you pull that stunt with a 15-year old driving student in the car with you?

- Do you believe that a ranting idiot (who shouldn't drive - ever) will back off and suddenly understand what a menace she's been behind the wheel for all these years? Maybe change her ways? Really?

- Would you try that if you were on a motorcycle? Or do you need to be in something that weighs 2-3 tons to assert your "rights" as a motorist? Would you do that to a motorcyclist?

- If the other driver were a testosterone crazed pinhead male with a monster truck and neck muscles bigger than your torso, would you have been so "bold?"

I tapped my horn once when the owner of Chelsea Roofing in San Diego (see above) cut me off with a veering utility trailer. I hadn't exceeded the speed limit to his satisfaction (50 on a 45 road) when he was tailgating me before. He then chased me on the freeway for miles, screaming, hanging out the window and banging on the door of his truck with steroid arms. I called him later and explained that I'd just been target shooting with my S&W 686, and I guess I'd have done whatever I needed to in order to avoid being torn limb for limb by an insane animal. He told me I was lucky he had to stop for gas. However that might've played itself out, I suppose he's right.

I've seen birds flipped and intentional sideswipes damaging pretty new SUV's in a heavy 65mph commute. I've seen angry guys pull off the road to tackle each other and throw punches. I phoned (ironically) another roofing company in Vancouver a few months ago, and the lousy driver in the van answered! LOL.

I guess the bottom line is this. Not one of those dangerous morons is CAPABLE of learning ANYTHING from you. Especially if all you can offer in the way of instruction is to further impede the flow of traffic with your brakes - in any lane - and escalate their childish rage beyond what is already distracting and bugging you.

By driving, we are all part of the equation. Trust me, the other numbers don't change. I prefer to simply remove myself from the problem, arrive 2 seconds late, and let other peoples' impatient stupidity play itself out, somewhere else, without me.

IF:
a) you are in the left lane of 2 or more lanes
b) there is space in front of you OR space to move to the right
c) a car is approaching you from the rear

THEN:
you must move over, or speed up

I understand that if there are already lane-clogging people just in front of you that this may not apply.

I understand that if the traffic is so heavy you can't move to the right.

But otherwise, stop clogging up the left lane.

IF:
a) you are in the left lane of 2 or more lanes
b) there is space in front of you OR space to move to the right
c) a car is approaching you from the rear

THEN:
you must move over, or speed up

I understand that if there are already lane-clogging people just in front of you that this may not apply.

I understand that if the traffic is so heavy you can't move to the right.

But otherwise, stop clogging up the left lane.
BAH!

My taxes pay for the whole road, I drive where I want.:D

'If' you where already in the right lane you would'nt need to worry about moving over, would you?
Ignor the traffic behind you?
Thats being a good driver?
Its inconsiderate and dangerious to 'hang-out' in the L/H lane.
I can tell where you spend your time driving.

again I don't know where you are getting this idea that I cruise in the left lane. don't get your panties in a bunch because someone disagrees with what you are saying.

please enlighten me on what you would do if there is no way to move over or speed up due to cars infront of you and in the right lane? Am I suppose to ram the out of the way so you can get by? Or am I suppose to pass them on the shoulder so I can move over for you? some people just don't understand that sometimes, you're just stuck in the flow of traffic and there is nothing that can be done to speed up the flow. keep patting yourself on the back like you're some perfect driver.

This thread didn't start out this way but I got to say something...

Like everyone else on here I agree that you need to stay out of the left lane unless you are going to pass someone. What is it about human nature that makes people drive under 60 in the left lane, then when someone who doesn't have all day to take a slow Sunday drive on a busy freeway wants to get around them, they want to speed up to 70 to prevent you from getting in front?!? I had a P.A. system in one of my older vehicles, very good at letting people know how idiotic they are. Also good at stirring up trouble, which is why I go without it now.

Bottom line, if you are in the left lane and notice you are traveling the same speed as the cars to your right, MOVE OVER, let people get around you. The Seattle Traffic situation would not be nearly as bad if people knew how to drive efficiently.

again I don't know where you are getting this idea that I cruise in the left lane. don't get your panties in a bunch because someone disagrees with what you are saying.

please enlighten me on what you would do if there is no way to move over or speed up due to cars infront of you and in the right lane? Am I suppose to ram the out of the way so you can get by? Or am I suppose to pass them on the shoulder so I can move over for you? some people just don't understand that sometimes, you're just stuck in the flow of traffic and there is nothing that can be done to speed up the flow. keep patting yourself on the back like you're some perfect driver.

No, you wait until there is room to move over and then you move over. If someone is tailgating you, they tailgate you. Brake checking someone, however, would just impede traffic more. You shouldn't even be in the fast lane, except to pass.

Amen. Thank you, all of you internet Barney Fife's.

No, you wait until there is room to move over and then you move over. If someone is tailgating you, they tailgate you. Brake checking someone, however, would just impede traffic more. You shouldn't even be in the fast lane, except to pass.

ummm that's what I just said? :huh: jebus nevermind...selective reading on this forum is mighty strong.

You have no room to talk mr magoo.

The person was able to go completely around you, and you were unable to perform a lane change?

Nope, you're just a bad, bad, bad driver... and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Yes, I forget. You are omniscient and know exactly what happened on that day in that situation. I feel so ashamed. SO ASHAMED!!! :s0152:

Yes, I forget. You are omniscient and know exactly what happened on that day in that situation. I feel so ashamed. SO ASHAMED!!! :s0152:

You tried to complain about another driver, In the process you outed yourself as the d-bag in the situation, then you tried to backpeddle on your own story.

Just admit it, you're a bad driver... and you smell funny.
If you dont, the mocking will inevitably follow you around like herpes simplex type 1.

You tried to complain about another driver, In the process you outed yourself as the d-bag in the situation, then you tried to backpeddle on your own story.

If you dont, the mocking will inevitably follow you around like herpes simplex type 1.

:s0129:

"I thought I saw a deer run towards my lane" - brake check - end of story.

"I was taking my cruise control off and slowing down as I have been trained when confronted with a tailgater"

Suitable defense - maybe/maybe not?

Had it happen twice today - in the right lane BTW where I drive.

Once after slowing down for a "revenue collector" who had someone pulled over. It is required by law if you cannot move to the other lane to immediately slow down.

Funny, but... you seem to know way too much about herpes. You may have just outed yourself. You may have won the battle, but you lost the war :(

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top