JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Spoke with my State Farm agent a few weeks ago about firearms. They need serial numbers but he advised they keep them only in the office, it does not go to national. Info would be released only under federal subpoena. There are others that do not require serial numbers. My agent is a gun guy so he understands, which is nice.

I recently sold my house and moved to a rental house until this "inflated" housing market supposedly collapses. In the meantime, I need rental insurance but I have been looking at different companies policies regarding firearms and insurance limits. I ran across a very popular company named "Lemonade." Their rates are attractive but on further research, I found their stand on firearms and policy limits. Needless to say I will definitely be avoiding them and recommend anyone else in the 2A community to avoid them too.

That is their firearm policy and let alone they limit it to an "adequate $2500"... For a lot of us this doesn't even cover individual guns let alone a collection. They also say they exclude "assault rifles." Now I don't own a true "assault rifle" with select fire but I do have a few MSRs that they I'm sure would exclude from being insured.

Just wanted to put this out there for everybody and want to know what insurance companies you have found that are pro 2A?
I would avoid them like a case of hippie aids

Ask your current insurance company about a "personal articles policy". They can be used for any additional collection that would be over the limit of your traditional renters insurance and are good for jewelry, guns, bicycles... any group of items stored in your secure residence worth more than a few thousand should stand on its own in an additional policy.
State farm did not ask me for S/N or even very definitive descriptions and the other bonus is that if you have to file a claim against your personal articles policy it does not count against your renters policy so it should not change your future policy rates.

That is their firearm policy and let alone they limit it to an "adequate $2500"... For a lot of us this doesn't even cover individual guns let alone a collection. They also say they exclude "assault rifles."

Thanks for the heads-up. Earlier today (before reading your post) I downloaded Lemonade's 39-page RENTERS POLICY DECLARATIONS for the State of Washington. There is no mention of "assault" weapons or rifles in that document. The $2500 limit is in the policy declaration. So, it seems like their assault rifle exclusion isn't legally enforceable but I wouldn't trust them and why give your business to anti-gunners?

I do know that the NRA was forced to cancel their CarryGuard insurance for CCW holders for post-DGU court battles. Is that what you are thinking got cancelled?

Renters policies are a waste of money. Use insurance for things that would have a severe impact on your life, house burns down or you cause a car wreck that does serious damage. For things like guns, or your TV, or other consumer items just self insure. You'll come out ahead.

I have one TV worth $200. I have dozens of firearms worth around $50k. Self-insurance is not an option.
Same here. Upwards of $30k in bang toiz. Self-insurance is also not an option...

Last Edited:
I have renter's insurance through Farmers (PM me if you want the name of a great agency that covers the PNW) and added a rider to cover my firearms. I had to specify make/models and state values for all, but not to provide Serial #s or pictures. It cost me an additional $53/year to cover $9,000 worth of guns.

Perhaps it would be easier if you sold your guns on this site at severely reduced prices keeping only a High Point (which no thief would steal.) This would unburden you and make your life much simpler.

Renters policies are a waste of money. Use insurance for things that would have a severe impact on your life, house burns down or you cause a car wreck that does serious damage. For things like guns, or your TV, or other consumer items just self insure. You'll come out ahead.
It depends on how much value in personal belongings you have. Some of us have quite a bit of stuff and the couple hundred a year it costs to insure that stuff is worth it just for the peace of mind that if my rental house burned down, i could replace my $100k+ of belongings.

You never need insurance... until you do.

I do know that the NRA was forced to cancel their CarryGuard insurance for CCW holders for post-DGU court battles. Is that what you are thinking got cancelled?

No, I'm thinking of the free "$2,500.00 MEMBER-ONLY ARMSCARE INSURANCE" for firearms loss, theft, etc. that was included with NRA membership. They no longer seem to offer it and I contacted NRA HQ a couple of years ago to inquire about whether existing coverage was still in effect but they never replied.

Are you talking about the free insurance included with a membership? If so, is that program still in effect? I thought the free insurance that used to be included with membership was eliminated. It's apparently no longer listed at <www.nraapprovedservices.com> or <NRA Member Benefits>?

From the Insurance Journal in 2018:

Lloyd's of London has directed its underwriters to terminate any insurance programs they have with the National Rifle Association (NRA) and to not enter into any new ones ...

Among the NRA programs from Lloyd's now available on the NRA website are ArmsCare and Firearms insurance protecting firearms from theft or damage in excess of a homeowners's policy ... and gun collectors' insurance.

Prior to the New York probe and fines being announced, both Chubb and Lockton had indicated they were pulling out of the NRA insurance programs.

Lloyd's of London has directed its underwriters to terminate any insurance programs they have with the National Rifle Association (NRA) and to not enter into any new ones ...

Virtue signal.JPG

Does anyone have any experience insuring firearms or processing any kind of claims with Connect/American Family Insurance? They are partnered with Costco. Their rates are definitely better than USAA for renter's insurance.

On their quote request page they give you an option to list up to five firearms under "Scheduled Personal Property" with a detailed description but nothing about requiring serial numbers.

Screenshot_2020-09-20 Quote American Family Insurance.png

Does anyone have any experience insuring firearms or processing any kind of claims with Connect/American Family Insurance? They are partnered with Costco. Their rates are definitely better than USAA for renter's insurance.

On their quote request page they give you an option to list up to five firearms under "Scheduled Personal Property" with a detailed description but nothing about requiring serial numbers.

View attachment 752470
I'm guessing over five firearms is considered an arsenal...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top