JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently sold my house and moved to a rental house until this "inflated" housing market supposedly collapses. In the meantime, I need rental insurance but I have been looking at different companies policies regarding firearms and insurance limits. I ran across a very popular company named "Lemonade." Their rates are attractive but on further research, I found their stand on firearms and policy limits. Needless to say I will definitely be avoiding them and recommend anyone else in the 2A community to avoid them too.

That is their firearm policy and let alone they limit it to an "adequate $2500"... For a lot of us this doesn't even cover individual guns let alone a collection. They also say they exclude "assault rifles." Now I don't own a true "assault rifle" with select fire but I do have a few MSRs that they I'm sure would exclude from being insured.

Just wanted to put this out there for everybody and want to know what insurance companies you have found that are pro 2A?

You could also look into a specific contract with a national insurance company. I have an additional 5 figure coverage for my guns outside homeowners and NRA.

I have State Farm and was told that I do not need to have a special rider but do have to have enough to cover my possessions. Exception would be for collectors guns of high value, but they'll cover them

this company is much cheaper than the company the NRA promoted. The policy covers firearms, scopes, ammunition, loss in shipping, much better coverage than most offer.

They do not require documentation of serial numbers, nor appraisals unless it's unusually valuable.

this company is much cheaper than the company the NRA promoted. The policy covers firearms, scopes, ammunition, loss in shipping, much better coverage than most offer.

They do not require documentation of serial numbers, nor appraisals unless it's unusually valuable.
As of now, I'm looking at State Farm and adding a rider or Collectinsure.com as you mentioned. Collectinsure wants about $280 per year for $35k in coverage and I'm waiting to hear back from State Farm to see how much they are.

Most standard home owners policies limit firearm coverage to $2500-ish. And don't just take what your agent says to be factual...especially agents that rep a lot of different policies. READ the exclusions and limitations section of your policy yourself and see what it says.

Collect Insure and Eastern are two very good companies that provide individual firearms insurance and usually at far better rates than the riders/personal articles policies that the big home insurance companies offer.

I'm with Collect Insur and they beat AAA and State Farm by miles when I was shopping for this. But insurance rates and what they will and won't cover can vary widely in different parts of the country, so check your specific area.

Also be aware that some companies want serial numbers of your guns. Not sure how you feel about that but Collect Insure does not...at least for guns under $5K.

Lastly, make sure you do have the serial numbers recorded along with pictures of each firearm. You will need this if you should ever have to file a claim. Keep this info stored somewhere that is safe from fire and theft so you still have it if you ever need it. :)

Edit: Don't forget to take into account all the accessories...holsters, mags, optics, cases, tools, lights, lasers, bipods, AMMO, etc. It is amazing how quickly this stuff adds up. And it's also questionable how a regular home owners policy would view these things. Do they view them as "normal household items" or do they view them as part of firearms and therefore they would be restricted to the limitations of the policy? You certainly don't want to find out that it's the later after it's too late.

Collect Insure will cover these things...and ammo too...but you need to make sure they're included in the total value of your policy.

Last Edited:
I have State Farm and was told that I do not need to have a special rider but do have to have enough to cover my possessions. Exception would be for collectors guns of high value, but they'll cover them
I called my State Farm agent and they required an appraisal for any firearm valued over $2500. I have some in the 5-figure range and they said they need an appraisal for each one. I asked for a list of qualified appraisers and they said they had none. I informed them that there were no appraisers for hundreds of miles and they said that was too bad.

Pretty sure if I contacted the state insurance commission and advised them that State Farm refuses to insure an item for it's true value because they are stipulating that I have to get an appraisal that cannot be reasonably attained, that they might be interested in such a gross violation of good faith policies.

Y'all have just made my day. I've been lax in getting my firearm collection insured (I have SF for home, vehicles, and jewelry), but I was loathe to approach them about my guns, figuring that they would want SNs for all of them, which I think is none of their damned bid'ness.

I'll be looking into this Collectibles Insurance Services outfit more this weekend.
Thanks again, NWFA Community! :s0155:

Y'all have just made my day. I've been lax in getting my firearm collection insured (I have SF for home, vehicles, and jewelry), but I was loathe to approach them about my guns, figuring that they would want SNs for all of them, which I think is none of their damned bid'ness.

I'll be looking into this Collectibles Insurance Services outfit more this weekend.
Thanks again, NWFA Community! :s0155:
I have a personal articles policy with State Farm for $7K worth of camera gear. It costs me $133 a year. I don't remember the exact number they gave when I priced $30K in gun insurance with them, I just remember damn near having a heart attack at their quote. I pay $220/year for $30K with Collect Insure and they've been a pleasure to deal with...although I've never had to file a claim so far (knock on wood stock).

I have a personal articles policy with State Farm for $7K worth of camera gear. It costs me $133 a year. I don't remember the exact number they gave when I priced $30K in gun insurance with them, I just remember damn near having a heart attack at their quote. I pay $220/year for $30K with Collect Insure and they've been a pleasure to deal with...although I've never had to file a claim so far (knock on wood stock).
I'm looking at close to the same amount in purchase price (for most of them) and constructed value (for just two of them). We'll see what obtains...

I use USAA and have an additional policy for "valuable personal property". They do require a description and serial number of each item insured. I pay less than a couple hundred bucks a year for coverage on my optics and firearms, but not ammo. I have trusted USAA for a couple decades now.

It's my understanding that most insurance companies want you to purchase a "rider" to cover the cost of your firearms. That being said, no matter what you do, take photos of your firearms with a calendar showing the date and with you or a family member in the photo. Insurance companies can be very difficult to deal with when filing claims. They want to make certain that you actually owned the subject firearms and that they were under your control (in your home or car) when they were stolen, destroyed by fire, etc. During my time as a deputy I had more than one homeowner struggling to prove that they actually had the items that were "allegedly" stolen, etc.

Like @sobo, this is something I need to do but I just really... don't... want.. to.

Drag everything out. Document. Pics. Serial numbers? Bleh. Should have been doing it all along, now it's just a pain.

I'll be moving soon and will do it then, I suppose... while everything is out and available for photos.

Losing my "collection" to a fire or other catastrophy would likely be the end of my "collecting"... I'd be the one handgun/rifle/shotgun guy with empty safe-space for documents and crap. U know... a dork.*

*just kidding, one-and-done gun guys... nothing wrong with only having one (at least that's what someone keeps telling me...)
:s0111::s0059:

Have SAFECO set contents value for the house contents. Firearms limit if I remember is 30K other categories also have limits. My currently most valuable firearm would push 3K in appraised value. But a few in the 1000.00 to 1200.00 range. I'm keeping an I on values in case I need to add coverage.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top