JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had the idea of buying a house or building in a properly zoned area for businesses then partitioning it for FFLs to rent space in. I would have my own FFL license based there as well. Each FFL could operate out of a cubicle area and maintain their own gun safe(s). Would this type of arrangement fly with ATF?

If I had an FFL I would like to pursue the idea of providing "storage" solutions for those who want to temporarily remove firearms from their possession. I can't operate one from my current residence due to HOA rules and size constraints. I can see a lot of benefits to operating an FFL especially as gun restrictions are expanded. FFLs often seem to get a pass with restrictions. Probably so they can maintain business with LEOs and military members who also often seem to get a pass. A class 3 FFL could allow a dealer to have fun with NFA items and not incur a tax stamp hit everytime?

Wondering what type and cost of insurance would be required for "storage" of firearms not owned by you. Also liability if "stored " firearms are stolen then used in a crime.

There is a place in town that does that - There are a ton of safes in the back. At first, I thought it was odd they all had the same address.

There's an old mill in Littleton MA that is home to around 50 FFLs, and they reportedly have a great relationship with the Boston ATF office. I've seen good-sized shops there as well as hole-in-the-wall operations. Classes, a lawyer office, lots of guns and ammo, and specialty operations such as engraving. It's managed by a guy who claims to be the oldest one-eyed machine gun manufacturer with a license to tell fortunes east of the Mississippi.

I'm going to drive up there this weekend to pick up a couple revolvers. It's over an hour each way. Sure wish there was a similar operation near me--I'd be studying for my own FFL.

There's an old mill in Littleton MA that is home to around 50 FFLs, and they reportedly have a great relationship with the Boston ATF office. I've seen good-sized shops there as well as hole-in-the-wall operations. Classes, a lawyer office, lots of guns and ammo, and specialty operations such as engraving. It's managed by a guy who claims to be the oldest one-eyed machine gun manufacturer with a license to tell fortunes east of the Mississippi.

I'm going to drive up there this weekend to pick up a couple revolvers. It's over an hour each way. Sure wish there was a similar operation near me--I'd be studying for my own FFL.

That's awesome. It would sure make it a lot more affordable for those that can't or don't want to use their residence.

I would like to see many more Oregon residents become FFLs and form a lobbying association too.

What about a mobile FFL? This could be a totally legit set up with a little effort. :p

Screenshot_20220614-130605.png

My brother and I have been kicking around an idea but we would need venture capital investors.. the idea is to purchase an empty complex of storage buildings, those storage unit rentals ya know? There are a couple that were for sale for whatever reasons... anyways. Buy storage unit complex, upgrade security and so forth, rent units only to vendors/resellers, have a monthly, or biweekly outdoors vendor mall sale thing where the renters of each unit can open their unit and put items out for sale for the general public to purchase, and the owner of the complex takes a comission from total sales in addition to monthly rents.

Not sure if its feasible for FFLs especially if its outdoors storage complex versus an old office complex with increased security and better "visibility" ; IE, its obvious businesses in building vs a lot of storage units which may or may not have illicit business going on :rolleyes:

If I had an FFL I would like to pursue the idea of providing "storage" solutions for those who want to temporarily remove firearms from their possession.
That's a thing here in Massachusetts. Can't remember what they're called, but they exist for towns where the local PD can't store firearms that need to be removed from someone's premises (restraining order, somebody having a meltdown, the licensed gun owner being out of town, etc). It's usually a gun store, and like most things here in MA, is subject to corruption in outrageous storage and transfer fees, or the local cops hauling somebody's guns to their FFL buddy's business (who charges the outrageous fees).

That is a pretty slick idea - if anyone knows of that kind of thing taking place in WA, please let me know. I am looking at getting my FFL in the very near future, and that would definitely help me keep costs (and prices) down.

Here are few more thoughts on what I have in mind and why.

I work nights and could free up up daytime hours to operate this type of business. That would allow me try out the idea long enough to see if it could provide a regular income.

Buying a building would be the best option as leasing and trying to sublet space could be problematic given that firearms are the business. If I bought the building at the right time it could be a good investment.

I envision a building with a secure waiting room with office spaces behind a locked door. Similar to how Willamette Dental offices are set up. It could be a mix of individual offices for more money and one large space for cubicle style offices for less money. None of these spaces would provide sufficient room for displays and the FFL business would be targeted by each FFL. This would not be a flea market or gun show environment where customers would just show up and wonder around to each FFLs space. At minimum each cubicle space would have room for a desk a couple of chairs and a gun safe. Internet would be provided but phone would be FFLs responsibility.

It would be cool to have a lunch room space that could double as a small classroom type environment for FFL classes and maybe CCW classes.

I would operate a larger space with more storage capability. And a secure front desk attached to the waiting room.

FFLs renting space would have 24/7 access through the waiting room to their office or cubicle space.

I feel the more FFLs in this State the better. It would be great to start a lobbying organization specifically geared towards FFLs and their concerns. If you read through most gun restriction legislation it almost always provides some exemptions from the firearm restrictions. Lobbying 2A friendly LEO agencies to send out Law Letters to FFLs could provide opportunities for more FFLs to acquire post sample Machine Guns to demo.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads