JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone ever removed the ugly laser etching on a S&W revolver? Or have you ever seen it done?

I am curious as to whether or not it can be bead blasted off the side of a S&W firearm (or any other firearm for that matter).

I am talking about doing it on a stainless gun of course. Anyone want to volunteer their S&W as a guinea pig? :)

If it wasn't stainless it would be easy. Just fill in the etch then refinish.

In theory I would think it would work... I'm interested in seeing the results if you actually do it.

There isn't much to actually fill in. The laser etching does not truly remove any material. It just forces a carbon molecule into the steel...giving it that black look.

Now we are tied again. :)

Actually it does, Reference Laser Ablation. Where would the carbon molecule come from?

It doesn't remove material like traditional engraving is how I should word it. I have no idea how deep the actual image is impressed. Not all types of laser etching are the same. Some remove material and some do not.

In fact, in the case of S&W revolvers there seems to be no material removed at all. It seems quite the opposite. The logo is actually raised. You can put a piece of paper over it and get a positive rubbing of the engraving.

As for where the carbon comes from, there is a reason they are called CO2 lasers. :)

It doesn't remove material like traditional engraving is how I should word it. I have no idea how deep the actual image is impressed.
Removing any material is removing material, any depth is depth, carbonizing material is carbonizing material, think burnt toast, the carbon doesn't appear from thin air. We used a laser cutter in my department to cut spring steel for tooling until we found that a water jet does a better job AKA not losing temper, so I have hands on experience in this matter, I would be glad to link you too proof.

Removing any material is removing material, any depth is depth, carbonizing material is carbonizing material, think burnt toast, the carbon doesn't appear from thin air. We used a laser cutter in my department to cut spring steel for tooling until we found that a water jet does a better job AKA not losing temper, so I have hands on experience in this matter, I would be glad to link you too proof.

Did you bother to read all of my post and pay attention to the relevant facts of this situation? In the case of the S&W revolvers, the logos are actually raised. You are neglecting to take into account that there are a multitude of different methods of laser engraving, marking, etc. Just because you laser works one way does not mean they all work that way. :)

Did you bother to read all of my post and pay attention to the relevant facts of this situation? In the case of the S&W revolvers, the logos are actually raised. You are neglecting to take into account that there are a multitude of different methods of laser engraving, marking, etc. Just because you laser works one way does not mean they all work that way. :)
Do you really want to go there? I work for a company that builds Steel and Titanium parts for every military and commercial plane in the free world. We have a multitude of equipment that would baffle your brain, why not just admit you are wrong?

The laser etching does not truly remove any material. It just forces a carbon molecule into the steel.
If you understood what you were talking about you would recognize the error of the above.

Do you really want to go there? I work for a company that builds Steel and Titanium parts for every military and commercial plane in the free world. We have a multitude of equipment that would baffle your brain and why not just admit you are wrong?
Since you obviously have nothing relevant to add and just want to bicker about something you are failing to understand, why do you not just not take part in this thread.

Since you obviously have nothing relevant to add and just want to bicker about something you are failing to understand, why do you not just not take part in this thread.
Correcting an error is always relevant. I submit that you don't understand that the carbon is created by the burnt metal.

Matter can be neither created nor destroyed

Correcting an error is always relevant. I submit that you don't understand that the carbon is created by the burnt metal.

Okay, I tried to be polite, and I have no desire to hurt your feelings or insult you...but you are wrong. The method used by most laser engravers and by S&W is a method where a solution is placed on the metal and then a CO2 laser bonds a material from the solution to the metal below it. No material is actually being removed. In fact foreign material is being introduced and bonded with the steel. It is often refered to as "laser bonding."

You are failing to understand that there are huge differences between the laser cutters your company uses and the techniques used by S&W.

Okay, I tried to be polite, and I have no desire to hurt your feelings or insult you...but you are wrong. The method used by most laser engravers and by S&W is a method where a solution is placed on the metal and then a CO2 laser bonds a material from the solution to the metal below it. No material is actually being removed. In fact foreign material is being introduced and bonded with the steel. It is often refered to as "laser bonding."

You are failing to understand that there are huge differences between the laser cutters your company uses and the techniques used by S&W.

The process you are refering to is LMM Laser Marking Materials some of the common industry names are Cermark, or Thermark and they still remove material. Would you like to talk about the YAG lasers too since they yield better results for less cost?

The process you are refering to is LMM Laser Marking Materials some of the common industry names are Cermark, or Thermark and they still remove material. Would you like to talk about the YAG lasers too since they yield better results for less cost?

Gee, that's funny. I am sitting here reading the technical manuals online for the process and they are all very clearly saying that no materials are removed and the substrate is completely undamaged. That is also what my laser guy in Clackamas (the one that did my logo grips and my Superman rifle) is confirming to me...and he engraves metal for a living.

Gee, that's funny. I am sitting here reading the technical manuals online for the process and they are all very clearly saying that no materials are removed and the substrate is completely undamaged. That is also what my laser guy in Clackamas (the one that did my logo grips and my Superman rifle) is confirming to me...and he engraves metal for a living.
The proof is easy show a before and after.

The proof is easy show a before and after.
I can show you the after of my .45/70. I had Superman engraved on one side. :D

GunEngraved.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews