JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am not a collector. I have my own brush gun and open range rifle and have never felt the need to replace them. They are both Remington's one a model 700 and the other a model 300. My dad's rifle was a Winchester model 70. We both had the practice of removing the bolt to clean up after a hunting trip or just plane shooting out on the range.

Back in the 70's my brothers were growing up and becoming of age and I was in the Navy and dad was lacking one rifle for one of my brothers to use.

Well a ship mate contacted me about a rifle he had up for sale. A 6mm was all I knew it to be. I asked a chief aboard ship (Competition Shooter and Federal Fire Arm licensed) what is this and is it any good. For a chief petty officer his simple acceptance told me this was a good rifle at a good price. So I got it for dad for one of my brothers.

Well dad is gone now. My brothers never shot it. It is as in good of condition as the day I bought it and it now belongs to my son. He asked me the same question I asked myself 30 years ago.

So just how does this bolt come out?

Anybody know?

Winchester 70 bolt removal tab is located on the left side of the action near the rear of the bolt. It looks like the top half of a half-moon. Safety off, and push it down with your thumb.

Thanks buddy, I know about the model 70, it is this custom built 6mm that is made with a Douglas barrel. It is a kit gun kind of like the black powder rifles you get today. For all I can figure out the whole triggering mechanism, barrel and bolt assembly are all ready completed it is the stock you file, sand down and finish. It is a good looking rifle the guy did nice work.

Remington made some Model 78 unfinished kit guns. You had to finish the stock, then screw the barreled action into it. It works the same as your model 700. The 78 is just an economy 700.

For some other rifles that have no apparent bolt release, you push forward or pull back the trigger to release the bolt.

Bruce

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top