JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a cheapo Tasco Red Dot sight that came with a .22 a while ago. The sight itself does fine for general plinking, but I've got an issue with the coating. It came coated with a kind of rubber, I presume to give it a matte finish and probably protect the metal. At some point, the coating started to become sticky and nothing I could do would get rid of that issue. I've done some searching online and found it's a common problem and many folks suggest removing the rubber and just going with the base metal finish, which appears to be just fine below the rubber.

The real issue is how to get that rubber off. Many folks suggested using alcohol or mineral spirits. Alcohol does work, but it takes a lot of time and effort to remove even a small area, like 1-2 cm max. Mineral spirits did nothing. Citrus based strippers did nothing.

So, before I spend a great deal of time trying to do this with alcohol, does anyone here have any suggestions? I don't want to use anything that would strip or damage the metal surface since this is a functional sight.

Any thoughts?

This is what it looks like:

0755532_1?$medium$&defaultImage=image_na_EN&wid=250&hei=250.jpg

What about contacting Tasco? http://www.tasco.com/
Or maybe softening with the alcohol and abrading with a rotary brass wheel? Stick some Mylar on the lenses to protect them

I haven't tried contacting Tasco, but it's worth a shot.

Any chance that the brass wheel/brush would damage the metal underneath? I've not used one of those on a product like this before.

What generally happens to me a lot, is that I want the rubberized coating to stay on and it just rubs off on it's own no matter how hard I try to be careful.

I haven't tried contacting Tasco, but it's worth a shot.

Any chance that the brass wheel/brush would damage the metal underneath? I've not used one of those on a product like this before.
likely aluminum base so its possible depending on the coarseness of the brass wire and your aggressiveness since the brass used in some wheels have beryllium (very hard)in it to add strength however I don't believe the Dremel wheels do. you could try on the underside and see. another try may be WD40 as a solvent since the beginning of your woes may be a reaction to gun oil meaning you may not only be able to take advantage of the coatings lack of tolerance to oil but accelerate it. One last thought, ads for me, on this forum show red dots for as low as 25 bucks albeit some of us may have more time than money.
Good luck.

One last thought, ads for me, on this forum show red dots for as low as 25 bucks albeit some of us may have more time than money.
Good luck.

I hate to throw something out that works. And it's not so much about the money. I like to learn how to do things, so I consider it a chance to learn just one more new skill :)

I know your asking about taking the rubber off.. But since its a tasco.. I know its not bank breaking.. why not buy a newer red dot that has a much longer battery life and just overall general improvements across the board from the years when that tasco red dot was released?

I know your asking about taking the rubber off.. But since its a tasco.. I know its not bank breaking.. why not buy a newer red dot that has a much longer battery life and just overall general improvements across the board from the years when that tasco red dot was released?

I've got two other red dots that are better than the Tasco, but the Tasco works just fine, so no need to toss it (it's only used on a .22 plinker). Like I mentioned above, it's just a project - I enjoy little projects like this.

Where do you get that Kroil? I have never heard of it or seen it any where. I have had good luck with PB Blaster and Zep 45 for rust busting and penatrating, IF there is something better then those I would love to try it!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top