JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So by this standard, you would let your grandkids play in the street, but if they don't get hit that time, it's perfectly acceptable to let them do it again?

You have been cooped up too long.

Well, hopefully no one listens to your reloading advice.

Ever.

Because you talk out your bottom orifice.

There's an awful lot of reading out there that claims brasso in your tumbling media will make your cases brittle.
There's an awful lot of reading out there that claims a little brasso in your media won't harm your cases before they have out live their useful lives.

Neither one of those statement has anything to back it up though. Put a brass case in Ammonia for a month and then squeeze it with pliers and it shatters because it became brittle? Hardly the same thing as a couple teaspoons run for 20 minutes to soak in and dry in you walnut media?

How about you come up with something that gives credence to your statements with some actual facts? Don't forget to read enough to get the whole picture, not just the stuff that agrees with you.

Yeah Mike I believe most beginners started off with the RCBS lube and pad for resizing as I did.
It was fine when I wasn't doing more than 100 at a time but I change my ways when I started doing 500-1,000 cases at a sitting. And I can honestly say that since I've been using this lanolin and alcohol mix I have not had one stock case. With the other stuff they were quite common.

I'll pipe up to defend RCBS lube and lube pad -- aside from my one time disaster with One Shot, that's what I've been using for the last quarter century and haven't had a stuck case with it yet. I do use a lightly coated polymer spiral brush to get a little on the inside of every other bottleneck case mouth though.

I tried this but it didn't remove the lanolin. It just spread the lanolin all over...brass came out looking a dull gray. It was a mess. Not sure what I did wrong but I had to revert back to a tumble in walnut.

maybe use hot water and soap? A greasy pan is hard to clean with cold water no how much detergent you apply -- same principle perhaps?

maybe use hot water and soap? A greasy pan is hard to clean with cold water no how much detergent you apply -- same principle perhaps?
I use EXTREMELY hot water when wet tumbling along with Dawn and a little lemishine. And when I say hot, I mean I'll stick a glass measuring cup in the microwave for a few minutes prior to dumping it into the drum on top of the hot tap water.

I'll pipe up to defend RCBS lube and lube pad -- aside from my one time disaster with One Shot, that's what I've been using for the last quarter century and haven't had a stuck case with it yet. I do use a lightly coated polymer spiral brush to get a little on the inside of every other bottleneck case mouth though.

I wasn't dissing the RCBS lube pad at all, I just did not have good luck with it, probably due to operational error. I know that it's been around for centuries (it seems) but I found a better mouse trap with the lanolin/heat concoction that works for me.;)

Plus my hands are so soft now and Mrs. Caveman likes that, a lot...:s0140:

I wasn't dissing the RCBS lube pad at all, I just did not have good luck with it, probably due to operational error. I know that it's been around for centuries (it seems) but I found a better mouse trap with the lanolin/heat concoction that works for me.;)

Plus my hands are so soft now and Mrs. Caveman likes that, a lot...:s0140:

I didn't see you as dissing RCBS. I'm the one that said the case lubing/sizing mess is a PIA no matter how you look at it. That lube pad works fine for my slow methodical rifle ammo loading style. If a person is sitting down and pumping out .223 like I do 9mm I'd sure think you'd have to do it differently.

Get a heavy but porous cotton sack.

Fill with cases, tie off and throw in the laundry!

That's the approach I'd take with the issue at hand. I use this method once in a while to get the basic first cleaning done but the cases can't have much carbon on them. Some powders burn dirtier than others; laundry machine method is deficient for serious carbon.

Old RCBS lube pads are a PIA to clean the lube off of cases.

RCBS case lube (made within last 10-15 years) is water soluble, rinses right off.

I didn't see you as dissing RCBS. I'm the one that said the case lubing/sizing mess is a PIA no matter how you look at it. That lube pad works fine for my slow methodical rifle ammo loading style. If a person is sitting down and pumping out .223 like I do 9mm I'd sure think you'd have to do it differently.

I guess I was just reiterating my thoughts on it.
But yeah it was just too messy in my humble opinion.:s0112:

I guess I was just reiterating my thoughts on it.
But yeah it was just too messy in my humble opinion.:s0112:

I was less clear than I should have been. I didn't see it as dissing from either of you -- I just wanted to mention that the RCBS pad and lube method works well for me, but my unstated intent behind that was mostly for the benefit of new reloaders who may be interested in the lube issue. Not criticism.

The way I see it, if your cases don't get stuck and you can clean the lube off and have good ammo, the method is valid. If it's a special blend of KY and Crisco and it works -- cool -- there's lots of ways to skin this cat and new reloaders should be open to any of them until they find what they personally like best.

Anyway, that's all I meant -- not trying to be prickly.

Well after careful deliberation and not wanting to spend all day drying out my cases I decided to do a test and put 200 in my corn cob media and let it run for an hour. To my surprise there was no stickage anywhere, even in the neck portion of the cases.... so I dump the rest of them in and I'm done in less than an hour and a half and no mess.

Now for those of you who know me know that I am like Disney's absent minded Professor so I'm gonna write this down in my reloading book just so I do not forget next time I do another mass reloading drill... But, Mark my words I will probably forget to look in the book where I wrote it down. LOL:s0140:

View attachment 685821
Well 15 months later I finally found this post, I told y'all I'd forget didn't I… :s0140::s0140::s0140:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top