JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a 1903 Springfield that I would like to take the front sight and base off of. I removed the bead that is a cut in dove tail then removed the screw below but the base is still rock solid are these soldered on or dovetailed also ??

There is a pin in the "fixed base", behind the dovetail. This pin engages a notch in the spline that is milled integral with the barrel. Once the pin is inserted during manufacture, the ends are ground so the contour matches the curve of of the fixed base, and then the assembly is blued or parked. As a result, the pin may be very difficult to see. Once the pin is removed, the fixed base can be driven off the muzzle of the barrel with a plastic mallet and a piece of hardwood.
Or, you can saw most of the way through the underside of the base and then using a drift on the upper base, drive it off towards the muzzle which will split the band.

I should have explained the sight better it is a sporterized type front sight not the original 03 sight. I have looked every where for a pin or something but cant figure this one out.

IMG00116-20131026-1041.jpg

IMG00116-20131026-1041.jpg

Once you remove the screw, it should fall off the barrel. Have you tapped on the muzzle end of the sight with a brass drift and small hammer?
If it was silver soldered on, you would see it around the edges.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top