Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

removing a squib

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by oknow, Jan 29, 2013.

1. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

ok this is probably a dumb question and will get flamed pretty good.
    so your shooting and get a squib I know the normal way to dislodge it is to get a dowel and pound it out.
    the question is instead of pounding it out would it be possible to just use a couple primed casings and shoot it out or maybe a light load with wax in the end to hold the powder in the case? remember play nice.

2. ridnjon

ridnjon vancouver wa Active Member

No you could just lodge the bullet deeper into the grooves of the barrel and make it tougher to get out. You never want to put any kind of charge behind a squib!

3. Kruejl

Kruejl Hillsboro Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

Why not pound it out manually? Safety is key here.

4. oknow

just looking for a different way on things sometimes they work and sometimes they don't :dunno:

5. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

Unfortunately some of those "different ways" can make it your LAST experiment.

Just invest in a good solid piece of doweling, a brass rod, or even improvise like I did. I needed a squib rod one day so I went to the tool box. Found that a 1/4" socket extension about 6" long fit down the bore with enough room left over for a wrap of vinyl electrical tape. It worked so good as a "temporary", I now have it in my range bag for pretty much a "permanent" solution.

Shooting out a squib makes about as much sense as putting a compressed air hose in your mouth because you're constipated.

rrojohnso and (deleted member) like this.
  6. halmbarte

halmbarte PDX Active Member

You want a 'squib rod', a brass rod that's just under your bore size. A wood dowel will splinter and cause a bigger mess, with steel you run the risk of damaging the barrel.

Just don't try to shoot it out.

H

7. oknow

sounds like everyone agrees and they say you can not get a group of people to agree on anything.
    Thanks

8. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

WOW 44 years of reloading and over 50 years of shooting. I don't think I have ever had a squib. And you guys have had enough to carry a rod to knock one out in your shooting bag.

Another good reason I weigh every powder charge and rarely if ever shoot factory and never weird surplus ammo.

9. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

you've just been lucky mark w. trust me on that.I"ve seen LOTS of squibs over the years.It do happen....not to me of course. lol

10. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

I've seen squibs with factory ammo... it's a matter of life

As has been said before... don't try to shoot anything out. There's an article in Hatcher's notebook about a soldier who got a rope stuck in his barrel, so he and a squadmate pulled a bullet, and loaded the cartridge into the chamber, when they pulled the trigger the gun came apart in spectacular fashion severely injuring both men, it did not remove the rope...

11. tcs#1

tcs#1 oregon Member

I've shot tens of thousands of pistol/revolver loads over the years and have had 1 squib.... fortunately the bullet pushed into the barrel and I was able to open the cylinder..When I did all the powder fell out and the primer had popped...Never seen anything like it since

12. deadshot2

That's why I use a protective sleeve of electrical tape.

13. pinne65

pinne65 Hillsboro, OR Active Member

I just drilled a hole in the center and grabbed it with a plier. How well that works obviously depends on barrel length and location of the bullet. I wonder if most squibs end up like this, close to the end of the barrel where it's easier for the gases to escape...
    squib.jpg

squib.jpg

14. deadshot2

That's kind of funny. I've seen more than a few that have had the bullet drop right in front of the shooters feet. Just enough energy to get the bullet to the muzzle and drop out with little or no noise.

Shotgun squibs are funny. You hear the "Pooop" and when you loser the muzzle to clear the wad, a tablespoon of shot falls on your shoes.:laugh: