JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Bought a spending 1911 threaded barrel to replace the stock barrel in my Springfield and the Stormlake does not come with the pin/pivot installed. Maybe there is a reason for that, but for what you spend I'd think it would be there and you wouldn't have to get a drift punch out to change barrels back and forth :(.

Anyway, this pin does not want to come out and before I beat it to death is there some trick? Left to right, heat it up first? Even a steel punch and hammer isn't getting it done.

SAM_0159.jpg

SAM_0159.jpg

Thanks. I decided to buy a NEW pin/link for the new barrel so I don't do something stupid with this one. That, and an pin/bench/pistol circular thingamabob that holds the barrel steady. I've learned when in doubt, stop.

You might want to pick up some tool marking dye and after you install your new pin & link, check where your original barrel lugs fit, then check to see where your new barrel fits.

Better yet, read this guys article on EZ barrel swaps.

The 1911 Project: The Kart of Barrel Fitting
how-i-did-it.org/1911-project/the_kart_of_barrel_fitting.html

Thanks a lot. At work I had the name Gorilla because I would just try to manhandle something into working. A 10/22 barrel did fall victim to that when the flash hider wouldn't come off. One destroyed barrel + then I stubbornly took a portable bench grinder to it and cut it off. Had to remove a retainer piece further up the barrel and the flash hider was in the way. LOL. Cost me a new barrel of course.

Now, when something goes wrong I try to relax, walk away for a few minutes, ask people for help, that sort of thing. All else fails I can always take something to a pro.

You might want to pick up some tool marking dye and after you install your new pin & link, check where your original barrel lugs fit, then check to see where your new barrel fits.

Better yet, read this guys article on EZ barrel swaps.

The 1911 Project: The Kart of Barrel Fitting
how-i-did-it.org/1911-project/the_kart_of_barrel_fitting.html

Oh great. This thing is supposed to be a drop in replacement for a Springfield full size 1911. I hope I don't have to tinker with it too much or I'll probably go the gunsmith route. Or ... hold it way out from me when I first fire it, ballastic glasses, hockey mask, and kevlar gloves ..... :)

For now, I STOPPED. I'll wait for the right tools/parts to put on the new Stormlake.

Oh great. This thing is supposed to be a drop in replacement for a Springfield full size 1911. I hope I don't have to tinker with it too much or I'll probably go the gunsmith route. Or ... hold it way out from me when I first fire it, ballastic glasses, hockey mask, and kevlar gloves ..... :)

For now, I STOPPED. I'll wait for the right tools/parts to put on the new Stormlake.

If you decide to go the gunsmith route, I've had some 1911 work done at Al's Gun Shop in Forest Grove (Verboort) and also at Willamette Valley Arms in Hillsboro. They both did good work for me at a reasonable cost, at least I thought so.

"Wichaka" aka Steve is good... If the new barrel has any varience from the old one you are going to have to fit it with the proper link. If the link is to short or to long it could be very ugly on the pistol.

Drop Wichaka an email.

I PM'd him.

Jbett98 - no, I am not smarter about gunsmith jobs than that guy; not by a long shot. I could probably beat him in a spelling B though, hahaha.

I do surprise myself on how I've been able to disassemble things and put them back together though. Child's play for a gunsmith I am sure, but we are all good at our various trades and hobbies. Gunsmith work is fairly new stuff for me.

:( - oh piss. OK, when the bench/punch thingy comes in I'll try to figure this out. 1911s are hard!! LOL

If anyone knows a really good 1911 guy in the SW PDX/LO area let me know - he/she better not add an idiot mark though or there will be great weeping and gnashing of teeth. I even bought one of those idiot-scratch protectors.

I use a shank from a .080 cobalt drill...put in in the block, and I hold the little punch with a small pair of vise grips. I have punched out hundreds, with the same old one.

Shanks from PTD brand drills make the best punches!

Hi Burt Gummer,
Hope you got a pack of link pins in differant sizes. You have to pick the right size pin you know. You will have to fit the barrel to the side. There are more Tests to do, to check and make sure its right. Good Luck. I have it all on DVD Step by Step. I just did mine.
Tony Portland, Oregon Area

Been on and off here this last week, as life has had other things for me to do!

Got your PM Burt, yer welcome to bring it up and we'll check it out...no charge.

I can run thru you thru the workings of the 1911, and give you things watch for.

Thanks and I will be in touch once my stuff gets here. Not much for accepting free help or charity though, expect lavish gifts and/or bribes LOL.

Different sized pins ... crap .... well the one I ordered should match up, as a 'set'. Swivel/circle with pin. If this wasn't something that could literally blow up in my face I'd be more daring.

Osprey suppressor won't be in my hands until late fall anyway.

Hi Burt Gummer,

It's the Link pin.
There are some things that have to be done, like checking the lock up of the side to the barrel. Do you know the kind of barrel you got? Is it a drop-in? Gunsmith Fit?
There maybe much more to fiting the barrel to the side. Have you tryed to put the barrel in the side and see if the gun will go in to battery, with out the spring? Will the barrel lock up into the side?

Tony Portland, Oregon Area

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top