JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's liquid...LPG...Liquid Propane Gas

You will need a pump to fill your tanks.
And you will need to watch for incendiary rounds being shot at the tank to blow it.

Go to a propane distribution store. They sell adapters to be able to attach fittings together from different types of tanks. I have one at work to fill small (20lb) tanks from my 500 gallon tank.
In the event of a SHTF situation you do not need a pump to move propane, it is already pressurized into the tank. If you hook your empty tank to the larger tank it will fill on its own as the pressure equalizes (yes it will fill to full which is only 80% of real capacity due to safety restriction), keep in mind you will have to open the pressure release on the tank being filled. Just pay attention next time you get a tank filled. I know it works because we filled our forklift tanks this way for over five years, it is just faster with an electric pump.
Keep in mind that gas will not bypass the pump without electricity. If there is no power and the tank has a pump then you will have to shut off the gas at the tank and re-plumb the lines around the pump to be able to use your tank adapter. Then fill your tank directly from the big one.

WARNING TO STUPID PEOPLE!! You will never be able to remove a fitting from a charged tank and expect to put it back in. Propane will freeze skin (or anything else) on contact and cause extreme freezing burns. The tank will empty and if we're lucky you won't kill anybody except yourself. Make sure if you are going to screw with any gas lines, make sure the gas is shut off at the source first!

I use one all the time.
It works best if the large tank is upside down. I use a heating blanket to keep the large tank warm, so there is a pressure difference and the propane actually transfers to the little tank.

I did this about once a week while working at an Idiho ranch. We would place the smaller (20 lb.) tank on it's side in a hole so it was lower than the bottom of the big tank. The transfer hardware was fabbed together by the folks that sold us our gas (folks in Idiho spit at .Guv for the most part). There was a fitting extension off the main tank supply pipe with a hose and coupler for the smaller tank. There was plenty of pressure in the main tank to fill the small tank. You'll need heavy gloves and wrenches to close the various valves as they freeze-up.

Go to an RV parts and accessory store or online, there are plenty of products from places like Extend-A-Stay or Extend-A-Flow that allow you to tap off of or transfer propane from larger tanks. There are even adapters to fill your little lantern tanks from bigger ones.

Find a 5-10 pound tank to screw your lantern onto and it will last weeks! failing that get one of those extender pipes that fits a larger tank and is 36" tall, same effect, the lantern lasts weeks.
Also for lighting: battery powered LED lights, they last forever and no fire hazard.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top