JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was out shootin the new Ruger Precision 243 and all of a sudden I couldn't get a round to chamber up. One of my old reloads must have had a stuck bullet or lack of powder. The bullet was stuck just into the barrel. I tried to pop it back out with a cleaning rod but it was in there pretty good. I saw on another site where a guy drilled the lead out then ponded the rest of the bullet out. I didn't want to chance drilling into the bore so I took a 243 case and cut the flange end off. Then I got a 22/250 case tapped it into the 243 case.

I got a drill just smaller than 22 cal and drilled through the primer hole. I stuck the rig in the chamber and drilled out the bullet a little bit at a time , cleaning out the drill as I went

Worked like a champ and the bullet jacket came right out on the drill.

Cleaned out the barrel and gave it a good look. I think I got lucky. From now on I'm gonna weigh my bullets after reloading just to make sure there's no bad ones.

I was gonna put a Diamondhead hand guard on it while I had it apart. Hand guards with prioritized barrel nuts just wont work on the precision. The headspace/barrel nut is in the way.

IMG_0197_zpsvbk6sa02.jpg IMG_0195_zps35cnvjjm.jpg IMG_0194_zps53mc25wf.jpg IMG_0198_zpstnkq6ijh.jpg IMG_0196_zpswnqaulzd.jpg

Well done. A remarkably intelligent use of tools.

FYI, if a bullet is not too far in the bore, you might have tried this:

Pour a penetrating oil like Kroil in from the muzzle and let it sit muzzle-up for a day or two.

Take a knockout rod - a long brass 1/4" dia. rod (available from most any hardware store - I keep one in my truck for the purpose) - and insert it from the muzzle and tap it firmly with a hammer. You don't want to pound on it too hard. Just steady tapping to break it loose. It has worked for me several times.

If the bullet is lodged further down the barrel, or God forbid you manage to stack more than one bullet in the barrel (as in a pistol-caliber long gun - don't ask), then you're on your own. I've yet to find a simple way to dislodge a true train wreck.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top