JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is there a way to eliminate the spring and buffer from an AR platform 22? It's unnecessary weigh and really serves no purpose except to keep the CMMG style BCG assembly in place. I was thinking that you could remove the buffer tube detent and spring and then back the buffer tube off a few threads and then add a thin screw-in plug to butt up against the bolt assembly. The buffer tube is held in place by the nut so it should stay put.

Anyone seen anything like this or find a different way to eliminate the buffer and spring?

ETA: I haven't seen an M&P 15-22 broken down. Do they still retain the spring and buffer?

Ya, they can be removed. They don't need to be there to function. No plug is needed either. The CMMG bolt assembly works off of a shelf in the lower, it really doesn't touch the buffer If it is left in. However, it can help with bolt tilt.

To remove them, just press down on the detention in the lower and guide them out.

Ya, they can be removed. They don't need to be there to function. No plug is needed either. The CMMG bolt assembly works off of a shelf in the lower, it really doesn't touch the buffer If it is left in. However, it can help with bolt tilt.

To remove them, just press down on the detention in the lower and guide them out.
I wasn't aware that it only pushed against the shelf. Now the Bore Buddy pressure plug makes more sense.

I wasn't aware that it only pushed against the shelf. Now the Bore Buddy pressure plug makes more sense.
You can see where the top part of the back of the bolt assembly interacts with the lower in this picture. You can also see where damage can occur from the weld marks on the back of that same plate to a buffer.

C0D0877B-67BF-4142-946D-B6873A9C9295.jpeg

The purpose of the plug is to stop the rear of the assembly from damaging the lower, I have it in both of my AR-22s. That;s what got me to thinking about a way to remove the buffer and spring and still be able to retain the plug to keep the BCG from hitting the lower.

Until your explanation, I wasn't aware of how the plug protected the lower, only that it did.

You might be able to remove the buffer and just keep the spring and bore buddy plug in there. Shave a few ounces.

Another route, if this is a dedicated 22lr lower, would be to epoxy a plug in the buffer tube. Its not permanent as you can always just swap the buffer tube if needed, but it does ruin a buffer tube. This route is the lightest and most reliable I've found.

Another route, if this is a dedicated 22lr lower, would be to epoxy a plug in the buffer tube. Its not permanent as you can always just swap the buffer tube if needed, but it does ruin a buffer tube. This route is the lightest and most reliable I've found. Wondering if a PVC pipe cap would be the right size.
As I think more about this, it seems that a plug needs a little taper around the outside and a spring is still necessary for clearance while rotating on the forward takedown pin.

As I think more about this, it seems that a plug needs a little taper around the outside and a spring is still necessary for clearance while rotating on the forward takedown pin.
Technically, if you are removing the buffer and spring, you could remove the detente and detente spring too.

Why are we so concerned about a few ounces of weight in a .22? Is a small child shooting this? Do you remove every part on your car you deem "unnecessary weight" as well?

Why are we so concerned about a few ounces of weight in a .22? Is a small child shooting this? Do you remove every part on your car you deem "unnecessary weight" as well?
It's about what can be done with the design, not something that's absolutely needed. I'm more or less trying to understand why it's necessary to go to the expense of buying a spring and buffer when they're not actually used as originally intended when in this configuration. I'm sure I'm not the first one to ask the question. The fact that there are a few plugs out there tells me that others have also thought about it. I have a better understanding of the functions now and can see that the current design works, and that modifications would mostly be added expense with little gain. Doesn't mean that I won't tinker with it a little.

Is there a way to eliminate the spring and buffer from an AR platform 22? It's unnecessary weigh and really serves no purpose except to keep the CMMG style BCG assembly in place. I was thinking that you could remove the buffer tube detent and spring and then back the buffer tube off a few threads and then add a thin screw-in plug to butt up against the bolt assembly. The buffer tube is held in place by the nut so it should stay put.

Anyone seen anything like this or find a different way to eliminate the buffer and spring?

ETA: I haven't seen an M&P 15-22 broken down. Do they still retain the spring and buffer?
The 15-22 does not use a buffer tube or spring. The lower has the dimensions of a real buffer tube with it's sole purpose is to allow you can mount a stock. The bolt is also more petite than the CMMC version….

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top