JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I know you can have a integral suppressor on an air rifle without worry but I assume you cant build one and install it as it would be construed as constructive intent if you own other firearms. You would have to buy a air gun with the suppressor as a factory part.

My thought is I am buying a nice RWS .22 air gun and I have several .22 suppressors. It probably would not be a big deal to thread the barrel and then I could plink around my house without irritating the neighbors. The cans are factory built NFA items so what they go on should not matter but it got me wondering about building a can specifically for the airgun which technically would not be a NFA item once permanently installed however you could not build it without first getting a form 1 approved and a stamp without being guilty of constructive intent.

Isn't that what you would assume? You might have an argument to build a air gun suppressor without a form 1 if you did not and never had owned firearms but once you have a gun building any suppressor would require a stamp. Really it would probably be real risky even then.

Just a thought.

Most airgun suppressors (LDCs) are built on a 1/2x20 thread pitch. Most firearm suppressors are 1/2x28. They don't fit each other, thus the intent of using an airgun suppressor on a firearm is not there, nor is there any possibility of it either. Unless you live in a state where air guns are considered firearms (and there are several states that do), you would not be afoul of the law. Mind you there are plenty of municipalities where airgun discharge is prohibited, so you would have to be very selective where you choose to use your airgun. Keep in mind that suppressing a spring powered airgun is largely ineffective do the the sound of the spring decompressing. A PCP however is a whole different story. The last case of the Feds going after an individual for an airgun suppressor failed in court, however most airgun enthusiasts are wary and just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Airgun suppressors are legally available without NFA, just make sure the thread pitch is 1/2x20 and you don't have any firearms that can accept it. On the flip side, using your 22 suppressor on an airgun is perfectly legal, but the airgun is going to have to be custom threaded 1/2x28.

Most airgun suppressors (LDCs) are built on a 1/2x20 thread pitch. Most firearm suppressors are 1/2x28. They don't fit each other, thus the intent of using an airgun suppressor on a firearm is not there, nor is there any possibility of it either.

"nor is there any possibility of it either"
That part is going to get you. A firearm could be threaded to any pitch, or an adapter made. FYI

"nor is there any possibility of it either"
That part is going to get you. A firearm could be threaded to any pitch, or an adapter made. FYI

If you don't own a 1/2x20 to 1/2x28 adapter, or any firearms threaded 1/2x 20 (I don't) there is no evidence that it was your intent to use one on a firearm. Good luck proving that one in court without material evidence. I'm not saying be an idiot and get yourself busted doing something stupid using one illegally, just that there is no case precedent for someone ever being convicted of owning an airgun-use only suppressor. They are legal to purchase in most states. The only case ever prosecuted on the issue was an idiot doing something stupid and the govt tried to nail him on that issue. And the government lost the case. I'm not supporting owning or using one, just stating the facts thus far surrounding the issue. See the following.... FindLaw's United States First Circuit case and opinions. (http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-1st-circuit/1527670.html)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top