JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just picked up a Remington 700, 30-06, from a board member. Did a preshoot cleaning, dropped a 3-9x40 scope on it and went shooting. I had what I considered acceptable groups at 200 yards. Now I want to tinker so I can get really excellent groups at 200 yards and acceptable groups at 600 yards.

I opted for a 30-06 because I have a Garand and a lot of 30-06 brass laying about. Working up some hotter loads for a bolt gun would be kinda fun.

I've decided to send the barreled action off to E.R Shaw ( E.R. Shaw Inc. | Mk. VII Rifle | Shaw Precision Guns | E.R. Shaw Custom Barrels | Small Arms Manufacturing | Makers of Precision Gun Barrels and the E.R. Shaw Mk. VII Custom Bolt Action Rifle. ) for a new barrel, recoil lug and trueing up the receiver and lugs.

Now for the suggestions. What twist rate, 1 in 10 or 1 in 12? I torn between the varmint countour and the heavy varmint contour barrels, also torn about fluting or not. I've looked at a couple of after market stocks, would like something with an adjustable cheek rest and possibly length of pull.

So help me spend my money wisely folks.

REE

If it were me......I would go the 10 twist for the heavier bullets. Those would be loaded hot so I would opt for the heaviest barrel possible. A 26" stainless would be nice. Perhaps a break would even be an option. There are some nifty stock out there, but I think a nice bell and carlson with a karsten cheek piece would do.

This rifle I speak of sounds a bit familiar......:D