JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You could add a pistol grip if you kept the overall length above 26", as for the pistol brace that's a little murky, the fostech origin 12 has a pistol brace and short barrel but the ATF letter specifically says it can't be shouldered.

You could add a pistol grip if you kept the overall length above 26", as for the pistol brace that's a little murky, the fostech origin 12 has a pistol brace and short barrel but the ATF letter specifically says it can't be shouldered.

Bad advice resulting in potential felony charges. The reason why it's ok on the Fostech is because it's manufactured that way and sold that way as a "firearm". You cannot put a pistol grip and brace on a Shockwave because you will change it's classification from "firearm" to "short barreled shotgun" by doing so. If you do it without a stamp it's a federal felony.

Bad advice resulting in potential felony charges. The reason why it's ok on the Fostech is because it's manufactured that way and sold that way as a "firearm". You cannot put a pistol grip and brace on a Shockwave because you will change it's classification from "firearm" to "short barreled shotgun" by doing so. If you do it without a stamp it's a federal felony.
He specified that he would have to maintain an overall length of 26", he is correct.
Both are already equipped with a pistol grip from the factory. The caveat is finding another pistol grip that will maintain its 26" overall length, as the birds-head style grip is about as long as they come.

He specified that he would have to maintain an overall length of 26", he is correct.
Both are already equipped with a pistol grip from the factory. The caveat is finding another pistol grip that will maintain its 26" overall length, as the birds-head style grip is about as long as they come.
My comment was about the combination of a pistol grip and a brace which changes the classification from firearm to short barrel shotgun. It cannot be a pistol because it has a smooth bore, thus it becomes a SBS which is a regulated item requiring a stamp

Nothing I said is factually incorrect, you can put a different pistol grip on a "Firearm" if it stays longer then 26", the fostech origin 12 is a legal "firearm" that does have a brace. I didn't say that it was explicitly legal just that there was precedence. The OP's best advice would be to send a letter to the ATF for the pistol brace.

Last Edited:
19CC1886-68AA-4601-880A-020F3483BC01-930-000001F8C0AE071D_tmp.jpg
Not true. Read the letter in the review.

To me it reads that it is subject to NFA restrictions if modified or changed...And state laws can restrict it further. Thats one of those grey areas best left alone...

( am I correct ? ) .. to modify ( i think ) falls under AOW Rule ..? and if it does is only a 5-$ stamp anyway and not 200-$ .
No. To manufacture an AOW it costs $200. The only way this would become an AOW is if you went under 26" without a stock. Think of the Serbu super shorty.

Not a grey area at all. Must remain over 26", and can't have a stock. Forward grip is even fine. I don't know why you can't see that.
OK..put a longer mag tube and a different pistol grip, and keep it over 26" and some may see that as OK, and some gov official might see it as not OK, and go after you... to me it's not worth getting into a legal battle, and possibly losing my gun rights for a slightly different grip angle. the letter, like so many that address accessories that loophole ATF regulations, is worded "grey"... using "may change" or "may apply"... no difinitive "does" or "will" statements, leaving them outside of any legal liability. At least that's how I interpet things... you May see it differently, and that's OK. I'm not going to say your wrong. I personally wouldn't mess with it. Especially with eager gun grabbing burocrats looking to close the loopholes, and sneak in what ever regulations they can if sombody makes a mistake.

A little off topic of this discussion but I wonder what that does to the legalities involved with vertical grips on these "pistols"?
Well--if Oregon follows Federal law (not doing too well so far) then a vertical foregrip would be a no-no. Same as on any other pistol. ATF seems convinced that pistols are to be fired with one hand, and a grip for the other hand makes it NFA.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top