Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Remington/Stoeger/Benelli/Mossberg for HD?????

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Bello425, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Bello425

Bello425 Vancouver Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Hello all,

I am looking at purchasing a shotgun, but not really sure of the pos/neg on the listed brands. On the Remington probably an 870, the Stoeger 2000, Benelli the Nova, Mossberg the 500 or 590A1. It's been almost 20 years since I've shot a shotgun (590A1), so I guess I'm starting fresh again. I don't hunt, but I would still like the capability. The 870, Nova, 500 and 590A1 are all pump action and the Stoeger is a Semi , any better than the other. This shotgun will primarily be a HD. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

2. 56kninja

56kninja Portland Member

Mossberg 500.

It's affordable, reliable, and has plenty of accessories. You can change it from pistol grip to full stock, add a fore grip, and they make plenty of barrels that you can easily swap out.

3. the4thshake

the4thshake Portland Active Member

The Nova is a nice gun....for shooting birds. I love mine. However there is nothing in the way of aftermarket parts for it and an 18" barrel costs as much as a complete mossberg 500. I feel the shorter reciever of a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 would make for a better handling gun in a home defence situation.

The Mossberg 500 has the safety on the tang which I like. It is also one of the least expensive options out there. On the down side, you can't get extended magazine tubes for them unless they came with them from the factory.

You can't go wrong with a Remington 870. There is just about anything and everything available for them.

4. dario541

dario541 medford, or 97504 Member

I think that Mossberg or Remington would be the way to go. Lots of models and accessories, and, they are made in America!

5. DerekF

DerekF Seattle, WA Member

My vote goes to the 870. Tons of accessories available for it. I suggest you check out pawnshops and look for a used Wingmaster - lots of those available for nice prices and quality is top-notch.

6. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

Two 870's, one Benelli M1 Super 90, one Mossberg 590 DA1 and two Saiga 12's... use the one you can afford to lose in case the PD who investigates the lethal shooting during your act of self defense accidentally "loses" it. Also recommend the one that catches the lest amount of attention from the media in case they wish to broadcast your story.

SF-

7. jeffm

jeffm Portland, OR New Member

I have a Mossburg 590. it's a nice little riot style gun extended magazine tube, bayonet lug, ect. Great HD tool, all sorts of goodies are available for the Mossburg. I purchased it a Big 5 sporting goods for 349.00 about 8 months ago. Watch their ads, every now and then they have a good deal.

8. RockKrawler

RockKrawler Gresham Member

My kid picked up a Mossy 500 that came with 2 barrels,a HD and a hunting length for 249.00 at Big5 not to long ago.

9. jeffm

jeffm Portland, OR New Member

I have seen that combo. You can't go wrong with that set up. Affordable, reliable, multi functional!

10. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

My Vote, Winchester defender 1200, or 1300. I presume you are not going duck hunting, so the cyl bore barrel is just fine. This model of Winchester is currently being made as the FN tactical shotgun. Exactly the same gun as the Win 1300. Super smooth action, rotating bolt head lockup. Known as the "speedpump".

I also have a stoeger 2000 semi auto for my hunting gun. It's good too. Cheaper priced copy of the Benelli Inertia system. Stoeger is made by Benelli in Turkey.

11. Bello425

Bello425 Vancouver Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Thanks for the input guys. Boy decisions, decisions.

12. 56kninja

56kninja Portland Member

I'd second the Winchester 1200-1300.. Get one with a walnut stock, skip the plastic.

As another poster said, make sure it attracts the least attention.
    A walnut stock is a good way to do that.