JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

WHY NOW

Building a custom Remington 700 at one time seemed so overwhelming to me. It required a special set of skills, special machinery in order to mill a barrel and after all of that you were still looking to do stock work in bedding the action. However, with the introduction of the Remage platform and James Kessler over at Northland Shooter Supply help boost my confidence to get engaged with customer rifle builds. Something I thought honestly was way out of my reach. A Remage is a Remington 700 action with a Savage Barrel Nut. You can obtain everything from the tools needed to assemble and quality parts. James gave such quality service and I am boasting so much about him, I feel a need to mention I am not affiliated in anyway with Northland. I didn't get anything for free not even a discount for doing this review/video. After speaking with James on the phone my confidence was so high that both DM and I both ordered rifle kits.

THINGS TO CONSIDER

There are a few things for you to consider before rushing into this. I think the most important is the caliber and stock. The caliber will determine the action required, long or short action easy decision here. Both of these builds was for 6.5Creedmoor. One of the most complicated decisions is the stock. Why the stock simply put do you want an ADL, BDL or magazine feed type of setup, so many options here. The ADL does not have any inlet to install bottom metal. The BDL Stock has an inlet which lets you install the drop open style bottom metal hinged floor plate. The magazine cut for both the ADL and BDL is lined with a metal magazine box and fitted with a follower and spring. Though with the Remington 700 you can also move to the AICS detachable box magazine feed system. Both DM and I decided to go with the BDL type setup. Though as you will see in the video, DM switched to the AICS type box magazine feed system and MDT Chassis from a HS Precision stock. Jerry apologies up front if you ever read this, folks if you are undecided or do not know what to choose call James up he will take time with you. As you can see the platform is flexible and easy to convert later but will cost additional make this decision up front, my humble opinion.

I didn't mention trigger as there are so many on the open market for a Remington 700 receiver chose what you like.

BUILD LIST

IMG_1373-scaled.jpg

Expense keep in mind these were all built prior to the new craziness, there was a 1200 dollar difference between a trued and blued remington action and the others you mention.

I didn't bother clicking on the video link. Did you copy & paste this from somewhere? It reads like an info-mercial.
Remage barrels have been around for at least 8 years now.
edit to add: If you "true and blueprint"a remington action, the cost of the donor plus the servics brings you much closer or on par with the premium actions. Going with a remington is useful because of the availability of aftermarket stocks. Not so much the same for Savage, Howa or Tikka.
You can now find barrel nut aftermarket barrels for Howa and Tikka rifles - probably others too.

Last Edited:
copy and paste from some where else no this is MINE and ONLY MINE almost wish I was that good to create an infomercial it would mean at least I was being paid for it.

Maybe today thats what it cost but having my new remington action trued and blue printed when these were built all together was under 500.
You're responding in the thread to a PM I sent you, because I did not want to krap up the thread.

Today it costs just as much to obtain a Remmy action and have it trued as it does to buy a Zermatt Origin, which is made for Savage pre-fits (otherwise R 700 footprint), and comes with the little things that add to cost on a Remmy (bigger bolt knob, improved extractor...).

But even when I had a rifle built in 2017 on a Remmy action, it pretty much cost the same, or close to it. You must have bought your Remington action quite some time ago.

The Zermatt build will probably retain value better than the trued Remington one.

Today the decision is kind of a no-brainer unless maybe you already have sunk costs in a Rem receiver.

No sir I was responding to

"edit to add: If you "true and blueprint"a remington action, the cost of the donor plus the servics brings you much closer or on par with the premium actions. "

Had not read your PM yet :)

@mr.revolverguy , please excuse me then for asking whether it was a cut and paste. It surely starts out like an ad for NSS. Without watching the video, I was confused by the three name references, James, DM and Jerry, with James being the only one specifically referenced in the text.

Regarding cost, I have converted Rem and Savage actions. If you don't have your action touched by a gunsmith, the price difference between a Savage and 700 action is all that makes the difference in price with the Rem being ~$100 - $175 more.
Now I slum it, and have my barrels cut and shouldered for my Savage actions. A bare profiled barrel, chambered, threaded and fitted locally costs the same as a prefit, and in the process, I support a retiree's income and the local economy.

All that being said, Remington actions have more steel and are more rigid than OEM Savage actions. Premium actions take it a step further, look and feel way sexier than anything Remington or Savage ever produced, and have far better resale. A custom gun, properly built on any of the actions mentioned, will perform to the ability of the shooter.
FWIW, you never recover the cost you have into a custom gun, but who in their right mind builds custom (excluding tinker toys) and then sells it? (never mind need to, etc).

No worries P7M I am not the greatest at this, just a one man show for EVERYTHING maybe I should work with you as an editor :)
When this all started the Zermatt actions were going for 1200 to 1400 dollars or maybe I just asked the wrong resellers.

Here is a good thread on the subject

Aero is getting into this game as well, with a remage receiver infact. I believe its a 17-4 receiver. I want to say they said it would be around $1200 for a barreled action. But obviously that could change seeing how its pre production, but hopefully they come with a nice product at a decent price (for custom actions).
There's a lot I like about the Archimedes though and as far as I'm concerned those improvements warrant the extra money alone. Owner kinda seems like a decent dude too, Kinda reminds me of Bill Alexander.
And yeah the resale value alone pretty much takes all the hesitation out of the deal. I'd just rather not get one in WA.

Starting to worry about "us" (WA) getting as woke as Canada and banning even .22's, hunting rifles, and lever guns now friggin insane.

If you have your factory Rem. Action 'actually' trued /blueprinted .

Then how ??? . do you just go out and buy an in-stock, on the shelf, aftermarket spin-on Rem-Age barrel , If your Action was ' truly completely trued/blueprinted, Your factory Rem. Actions threads would be cut/threaded concentric 0.010+ in the process of being concentric with the Bolt way hone/bore, and actions thread face .

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top