JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I inherited an 1873 Remington rolling block rifle from my grandfather. It is a #1 sporter, not the usual converted military. It was originally a .38 rimfire. When I got it, it was trashed pretty thoroughly. It had been in a fire and the forearm was missing, and the butt stock scorched. Somebody had started to refinish the metal by using steel wool to remove any traces of finish on the metal. The bore looked like the inside of a sewer pipe.

As bad as it was, I figured there was no harm in doing a full restoration, so I hired Jim Dubell at Delta Gun Shop to restore it. To make a long story a bit shorter, after a full year and around $2000 I have a beautiful, like new 1873 rifle. We decided on relining the barrel to preserve the tapered octagon 30" barrel, and I wanted to stay with .38 caliber, so it was chambered for .357 magnum. The only drawback to this is that the recoil from the magnum with the 30" barrel caused the original semi-buckhorn rear sights to shift about every 5 shots.

To solve this problem I installed a Marble's mid-range tang sight and just tried it out today. It's perfect. I'm now shooting 2" groups with this setup and I'm really happy. [Photos added below!]

Last Edited:
Nice! Photo please!!! While .357 Mag is easier to obtain you could have went the .38-55 route and kept it a black powder cartridge rifle. Regardless you've done an honorable thing to resurrect it! Can't wait to see it. I'd like to find one some day and turn it into a shooter as well.

Very cool. I have an appreciation for all older guns and given the condition you received yours in you did the right thing as it seemed useless the way it was. Some before and after pictures would be nice.

This thread is worthless without PICTURES!!!!!

I have an old Rolling Block #1 also in .45-50 Peabody. She's pretty rough and could use a make-over too.

I'd recommend that you call and talk to Jim Dubell at <broken link removed>. He is not fast, but his prices are reasonable, and you can judge his work for yourself:

RRBRestore-LeftFullsm.jpg
RRBRestore-RtFullsm.jpg
RRBRestore-RtFullUpsm.jpg

Here's the original buttstock:

RRBRestore-OldButtGoodsm.jpg

And the replacement forestock that somebody made somewhere along the way:

RRBRestore-OldForeGoodsm.jpg

Part of the job was to install a centerfire firing pin and to redo the case coloring on the receiver:

RRBRestore-ChamberClosedsm.jpg

I got the new wood as semi-inletted stocks from TreeBone Carving in AZ. They provided the metal cap too. Where necessary, Jim manufactured new screws:

RRBRestore-ForeCapsm.jpg

You can't see any evidence that this barrel was relined and the ejector recut:

RRBRestore-ChamberOpensm.jpg

Nor can you see it at the muzzle. Jim used a drawfile to sharpen all the rounded corners including on the tapered octagon barrel:

RRBRestore-Muzzlesm.jpg

The drawfile cleaned up the metal without obliterating the patent marks:

RRBRestore-LeftRcvrsm.jpg

Here it is with a knife my dad made for me, and a set of buffalo and sheep horns I had laying around.

RRBRestore-GunKnifeHatBestsm.jpg

This thread is worthless without PICTURES!!!!!

I have an old Rolling Block #1 also in .45-50 Peabody. She's pretty rough and could use a make-over too.

There are your pictures. Jim loves working on rolling blocks and he's a real black powder advocate. I could have gone .38-40. That was Jim's initial recommendation, but I wanted a cartridge where I could walk into any Bi-Mart and buy ammo. Also, you're looking at 1/4th the price for .357 Mag or .38 Special and it now uses the same ammo as my revolver.

That is Beautiful!!!!!! Looks like he does awesome work. I have no sentimental attachment to mine, it's not a family piece. But that looks like it may be just the ticket to put some life back into the old girl.

That is Beautiful!!!!!! Looks like he does awesome work. I have no sentimental attachment to mine, it's not a family piece. But that looks like it may be just the ticket to put some life back into the old girl.

Here's Jim's contact page:

<broken link removed>

If you call around noon you'll usually get Jim directly, otherwise email [email protected].

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top