JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Assuming it's a given that the 870 is the gold standard for pump defense shotguns, I ask these Q's:

Is the 887 built on the 870 action, or did they try something different with it?
Is the only real difference that the 887 has that plastic-y crap all over it or is there something fundamentally different (outside of the action, if different (see first Q)) that strengthens or weakens the 887's position as a suitable replacement or substitute for an 870?

Doubt I'd use 3 1/2" for home defense, so that's not really a selling point. And while I keep my Saiga for in-house defense, I've had the craving to pick up another pump (and leave my Mossberg 500 w/ its 28" on full-time) for an additional short splatter gun and naturally thought of the Remington.

The only parts that interchange are the choke tubes and recoil pads, nothing else. For me, the 870 is and will always be, the end of the discussion. Lots of stuff floating around the interwebs about the 887 having some issues with the coating, among other things. From what I can gather, the 887 shines as a waterfowler or turkey gun, not so much as a tactical weapon.

The only parts that interchange are the choke tubes and recoil pads, nothing else. For me, the 870 is and will always be, the end of the discussion. Lots of stuff floating around the interwebs about the 887 having some issues with the coating, among other things. From what I can gather, the 887 shines as a waterfowler or turkey gun, not so much as a tactical weapon.

This sounds spot-on. I'm assuming that you like the weather resistance of the 887 (it's the main selling point), so you might consider the 870 Marine. A little pricier but a great weapon.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top