JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been shopping for another 1911. I have several customized one's but this time I just wanted a low cost shooter.

I went into my favorite gun store with the intent of buying the full-size Ruger. They were asking $699.99 before sales tax another 8.6%. Thus $760.00 out the door. I've always wanted a Ruger since they were introduced.

The owner is a great guy & had just taken in on trade a very slightly used Remington R1 enhanced. It was a blued version which I kind of prefer. He offered to me for $644.00, so with sales tax it was an even $700.00.

Tough desision.

I went & did some other errands while I thought about it. Two hours I went in and decided on the Remington.

Opinions?

Haven't fired either one, but have fondled them both. I thought the Remington had a much better trigger feel than the Ruger. I wouldn't turn my nose up at either one, but lean toward the R1 enhanced.

I have owned two R-1's (not enhanced) and own a couple Rugers.

They all functioned flawlessly, and I think they're both great guns, especially for the price.

So if you prefer the Remington, that's the best choice for you.

Ruger will remain the choice for me.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
Sounds like you already got the remington? I don't think I'd buy a series 80 and if I had one I'd convert it to series 70. Rugers are made in usa and have cast frames. I'd kick in a few hundred more and get a dan wesson heritage blem.

I held both of them a couple months back,I liked the Ruger better and just as the OP prefers blued, I prefer stainless. But as much as looking and talking and posing and posting and chatting it up does, I'd really like to shoot them both. I'm sure I could tell you what I would buy. The .45 I ended up buying offers more function than vanity.

I have owned both and the R1 was more accurate, did not rattle like the Ruger (grip safety fit was very poor), and the internal parts were "cleaner" resulting in a smoother trigger pull.
The Ruger is well built, dependable, and probably more accurate than most can shoot. The rattle was a negative for me and the R1's fiber optic front sight was a bonus.
It is a good looking stainless version of the 1911.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top