JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone know anything about this and what it might me worth? Its a 50-70 cal

IMG-4114.jpg

IMG-4115.jpg

IMG-4116.jpg

IMG-4117.jpg

IMG-4119.jpg

Anyone know anything about this and what it might me worth? Its a 50-70 cal

Last edited by a moderator:
Neat looking rifle...these are nice rifles and actions....Many were made , for both the US and over seas markets.
As for worth :
Bore condition...
Any unit , "US" or Police markings...?
If its been "over cleaned" or has newer made replacement parts...
If its "put together" gun , made from surplus parts , by say a company like Bannerman's or some other turn of the century gun parts company...
What it is worth in one part of the country , may be vastly different in another part...or even time frame of when you go to sell it....gun guys can be fickle that way...
What it is worth at a gun show that caters to the Cowboy Action Crowd will be different that a when it is at a show that has more modern rifles...

I'd guess at $800 on up....Note I said guess....Not for sure and there are lots of variables and hazards at getting a "worth value" with just online pictures and not actually seeing the gun.
Andy

Neat looking rifle...these are nice rifles and actions....Many were made for both the US and over seas markets.
As for worth :
Bore condition...
Any unit , "US" or Police markings...?
If its been "over cleaned" or has newer made replacement parts...
If its "put together" gun , made from surplus parts , by say a company like Bannerman's or some other turn of the century gun parts company...
What it is worth in one part of the country , may be vastly different in another part...or even time frame of when you go to sell it....gun guys can be fickle that way...
What it is worth at a gun show that caters to the Cowboy Action Crowd will be different that a when it is at a show that has more modern rifles...

I'd guess at $800 on up....Note I said guess....Not for sure and there are lots of variables and hazards at getting a "worth value" with just online pictures and not actually seeing the gun.
Andy
Thanks Andy!

Given bolt configurations, caliber, bbl band, butt, sight, it sure looks like a New York Militia contract rifle. The trigger guard usually has provision for, or actually includes, a steel sling loop which yours appears not to have.

Brief description:
NEW YORK STATE REMINGTON ROLLING BLOCK MILITIA RIFLE — Horse Soldier

Given the extremely weak action and the old, stale iron frame, value is minimal. I feel so bad for you that I'd give you $150 for it. (More than most local gun shops.)

Similar, low-value New Yorks:
Model 1872 New York State Militia Rolling Block | Collectors Weekly

NEW YORK STATE REMINGTON ROLLING BLOCK MILITIA RIFLE — Horse Soldier

Rock Island Auction: Remington New York State Militia Contract Rolling Block Rifle

~SOLD~Remington Rolling Block New York Militia Pattern

Those all sold for over $1200 so I think $150 is far too low. I would second Andy's $800 estimate. Right now gun sales are soft so unless a collector wants this specific model it would take awhile to sell.

Being a wise-a$$ rarely works out well. Regardless, the rolling blocks are great. Variety is huge, hundreds of thousands made. Reading all references is a daunting task, and I'm not finished. Google, today, is your friend.

Some folks in the Black Powder Cartridge crowd may be interested. Andy is pretty close, I'd agree that it's worth around $800 to the right buyer. I would guess the barrel may be rough as an old dirt road, however. That was the era of corrosive priming and Black Powder. It's rare to find an old rifle like that with a decent bore. The good news is, you can still get those barrels relined instead of installing a new barrel.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top