JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just made an offer on the NEF 20 gauge in the classifieds. Started looking on the internet and found out that a company called Remington took over production a few years back. Anyone know of any quality issues with the newer NEFs, kind of like what happened to Marlin when Remington started churning them out?

I have Remington made NEF 20 gauge single shot shotgun.
I bought it new in 2015ish....been a while ago anyways.

I have shot it and hunted with it....not sure of a round count.
I do know that it works well and I haven't had any issues with it.

With that said...
I am not a huge fan of the Laminate stock or the matte , "parkerize" finish on the frame....that is is quotes 'cause I ain't sure just what the frame finish is.
The stock and finish do their job.....I just don't care for the look of them.

And with that said....
My gun does what I bought for...a good , light weight , easy carrying , rough weather grouse gun.

I think mine is comparable in quality of function as the H&R and NEF guns....
I do think the older H&R and NEF guns look better.
Andy

I have Remington made NEF 20 gauge single shot shotgun.
I bought it new in 2015ish....been a while ago anyways.

I have shot it and hunted with it....not sure of a round count.
I do know that it works well and I haven't had any issues with it.

With that said...
I am not a huge fan of the Laminate stock or the matte , "parkerize" finish on the frame....that is is quotes 'cause I ain't sure just what the frame finish is.
The stock and finish do their job.....I just don't care for the look of them.

And with that said....
My gun does what I bought for...a good , light weight , easy carrying , rough weather grouse gun.

I think mine is comparable in quality of function as the H&R and NEF guns....
I do think the older H&R and NEF guns look better.
Andy
Thank you Andy. A simple grouse gun is what I'm looking for. First shotgun I ever owned was a $50 Topper I scored at a garage sale. Should've never let it go…

I would say they are good until they aren't. Unfortunately H&R has gone thru so many bankruptcies, the most recent being Remington, that parts are difficult to get. I had a $49.99 from K-Mart 088 Topper 12 ga that I shot the begeberz out of until the transfer bar safety broke. I called up NEF the current owners back then for the part and they said they couldn't sell parts for the old name, part of the bankruptcy was a clean break between the brands.

I've had several break open single shots over the decades, both rifle and shotgun.
I also bought my two sons break open single shot guns as well.
The Rossi break open guns were garbage. Bought three of them over the years and all three were sub-standard.

The NEF break opens were decent quality, I bought both boys the NEF single shots with multiple barrels close to thirty years ago and they are still going strong.

I bought a H&R Handi-Rifle with two barrels, a 243 and a 308.
I put good scopes on both of the barrels. Worked up loads for both barrels. I used the 243 barrel for deer hunting back in New York for the last three years. I shot eleven deer with it and my brother shot one deer with it. .
I bought one last winter with a 223 barrel to lay with. I am looking for another 223 barrel so I can get one rebored out to 350 legend. .

One break open single shot that you don't see much are the old Ithaca model 66, lever break open. I have several in 410 and 20 gauge. My brother has a few and both of my sons have some of them.
You can find them on GUNBROKER..I have been taking my grandson back to New York hunting for three years and the model 66 is what he uses. Last October he was shooting gallon milk jugs full of water with 20 gauge slugs.

20211028_152743.jpg 20211027_083709.jpg 20211023_095719.jpg 20211021_100055.jpg 20211021_094026.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top