JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone have any experience with this gun? Seems like a really cool gun, being that it came out at the time that a lot of things were changing in the hunting rifle arena at the time, and this one seems to have lost the battle with the 30-30. Could you still use one for deer hunting? Do they operate as well as some of the old write ups say? Can you still get ammo for it?

I'm assuming that's in .300 Savage? If so then that is identical to the rifle that I learned to hunt with in N. Idaho (also the first rifle that I took my first deer, elk and caribou with....) Got my *** beat for the caribou because I as a 15yr old hunt forgot the golden rule of making certain of your target. Saw body and horn in the brush got excited lined it up and touched it off... But thats a trip down to memory lane...

The Mdl. 8 is a phenomenal rifle, easy shooting, the caliber while anemic but "todays" standards is still viable to take deer and elk with good shot placement. Couple of things to watch out for if you are buying one.... There is a spring thats almost 4' long around the barrel.. If the rifle was properly maintained it will be in good shape, if not it will probably either be missing entirely or be such a rusted mess that while replaceable I would steer clear as the rest of the rifle should be suspect. The gun is not operational without that spring.

Here's a couple links for you to peruse

http://www.rediscovered-shooting-tre...remington8.htm

Collector Grade Publications - Bookshelf #8 - Gun Books - Swedish Mausers, Swedish K98Ks, Great Remington 8, Enfield-SA80 Rifle, Autoloading Rifles

Numrich still has the replacement springs for under $20 depending on caliber...
Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories

While I was researching my model 81 (sibling of the model 8 sort of) I found that a model 8 chambered in 35 remington and a modified magazine was the rifle that brought down Bonney and Clyde.

If you have a Model 8, it cannot be .300 Savage. That caliber was not offered until the advent of the 81. The Model 8 was made in the milder calibers, such as .25 Remington, .30 Remington, etc.

My 81 in .300 is flawlessly reliable, even with handloads crafted with the usual care. I took my blacktail a couple years ago with mine. They are an interesting gun, in that they break down instantly, using no tools, to fit in a canvas case that is only as long as the barrel. Surprisingly accurate as well.

The barrel itself rests inside the outer sleeve (which looks like a fat barrel), and the barrel itself acts as part of the inertia weight necessary to contain and utilize the power of the cartridge to work the action. Much like an anti-aircraft "Ack-Ack" gun of WWII, the barrel recedes into the sleeve with each shot, assisted to return by a huge spring wrapped between the barrel and sleeve. When you fire the gun, in addition to the report, it sounds like a huge screen door slamming shut.

Somethings under Heaven are cooler'n H**l.

You beat me to it.

remrifle.jpg

I had a Model 8 in .35 Remington. Never used it for anything besides shooting at paper, but I wouldn't have hesitated to hunt with it. Cool gun with a funky feeling recoil.

I always thought that conversion to the large, removable mag was super cool. M14-ish and years earlier.:)

If you have a Model 8, it cannot be .300 Savage. That caliber was not offered until the advent of the 81. The Model 8 was made in the milder calibers, such as .25 Remington, .30 Remington, etc.

My 81 in .300 is flawlessly reliable, even with handloads crafted with the usual care. I took my blacktail a couple years ago with mine. They are an interesting gun, in that they break down instantly, using no tools, to fit in a canvas case that is only as long as the barrel. Surprisingly accurate as well.

The barrel itself rests inside the outer sleeve (which looks like a fat barrel), and the barrel itself acts as part of the inertia weight necessary to contain and utilize the power of the cartridge to work the action. Much like an anti-aircraft "Ack-Ack" gun of WWII, the barrel recedes into the sleeve with each shot, assisted to return by a huge spring wrapped between the barrel and sleeve. When you fire the gun, in addition to the report, it sounds like a huge screen door slamming shut.

Somethings under Heaven are cooler'n H**l.

I stand corrected I actually had to go pull mine out of the safe, as I had been under the impression all these years that it was a Mdl. 8; ;but there bigger than life was a 81 on the side.. Either way same rifle functionally.. All around a great shooter.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top