JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After starting a thread on St Patrick's day, renaming it Frank Hamer day, as his birthday falls on the same day...this presented itself soon after.

35 Remington with a serial number that puts it at 1912, almost new in box condition. For those that may not know, Hamer used a Model 8 in 35 Remington to put down Bonnie and Clyde.

Now to find a S&W Triple-Lock in 44 Special

20230326_201823.jpg

20230326_201841.jpg

20230326_201850.jpg

20230326_201904.jpg

20230326_201913.jpg

20230326_201918.jpg

Last Edited:
Looks like a fine reblue. Model 8's are my favorite pre war semi auto. A 25 Remington is still on the list.
If it's a reblue, they did a crappy job...as the grip area stamping is sharp and clear, no buff marks.

Same with the engraving/stamp on the barrel shroud showing the patent dates...all edges are sharp with some wear.

20230326_215943.jpg

Last Edited:
I like those old Remington semi auto rifles. When I first moved to Wash. in 1987, some of the first guns I bought here were a Model 8 and a Model 81, both in .35 Rem. They were $140 guns at the time. One came from the gun show that used to be held in the National Guard armory in downtown Everett. In the old days of no questions asked, cash and carry. There isn't much to go wrong with one of those rifles, they keep banging away forever. I prefer the buttstock on the 81.

I have a "one that got away" story about those. Another long ago story. Early 1990's, I went to one of the WAC gun shows at Puyallup. I got all the way down there from the north end and discovered that I forgot my money. That was the day I had to pass on a .44 Triple Lock that was priced at $250 and it was very crisp, had that brushed blue finish with about 98% remaining.

The other time that I forgot my money, I had to pass on a 1933 DRP Mauser Modell 98 rifle that was $200.

Looks like a fine reblue. Model 8's are my favorite pre war semi auto. A 25 Remington is still on the list.
I was at the gunshow in John Day over the weekend, and one guy had a Model 8, and another had 2. The guy that had the two, one was a 25, and priced very high. Not a collector, or really into them other than the Hamer thing...so not sure of the value.

The 25 had very noticeable wear, the other in 30, looked more like mine. Pristine on the receiver and barrel shroud, and wear like mine around the grip area and muzzle areas.

The other Model 8, had even wear overall, but still had very shiny receiver and shroud.

I have a "one that got away" story about those. Another long ago story. Early 1990's, I went to one of the WAC gun shows at Puyallup. I got all the way down there from the north end and discovered that I forgot my money. That was the day I had to pass on a .44 Triple Lock that was priced at $250 and it was very crisp, had that brushed blue finish with about 98% remaining.

The other time that I forgot my money, I had to pass on a 1933 DRP Mauser Modell 98 rifle that was $200.
Having a Hamer belt rig done. With 35 Remington and 44 Special ammo loops, with the holster to fit a triple lock.

The guy has it down very well...

My first (and last) .35 Rem. rifles were Model 760 Gamemasters. As fate would have it, they were consecutive serial numbers but I owned them about 30 years apart from each other.

.35 Rem. isn't very common these days. Hard to find ammo and components for it. I think Hornady is the only outfit still making component brass for it. .35 bullets compatible to it are not easy. It was still pretty common decades ago when I got my first one. .32 Rem. was the hard one to find then; you could still occasionally find .30 Rem. on the shelf in hardware stores but it wasn't common.

.25 Rem. has been obsolete and difficult to find for a very long time.

There was a while that .35 Rem. had a surge of interest from T/C Contender shooters, but I think that has cooled. As has a lot of interest in Contenders. I think the Contender fad has calmed down to a dull roar now. I've owned several Contenders in two phases and had many barrels but never a .35 Rem. I could never adequately master shooting the Contenders.

My first (and last) .35 Rem. rifles were Model 760 Gamemasters. As fate would have it, they were consecutive serial numbers but I owned them about 30 years apart from each other.

.35 Rem. isn't very common these days. Hard to find ammo and components for it. I think Hornady is the only outfit still making component brass for it. .35 bullets compatible to it are not easy. It was still pretty common decades ago when I got my first one. .32 Rem. was the hard one to find then; you could still occasionally find .30 Rem. on the shelf in hardware stores but it wasn't common.

.25 Rem. has been obsolete and difficult to find for a very long time.

There was a while that .35 Rem. had a surge of interest from T/C Contender shooters, but I think that has cooled. As has a lot of interest in Contenders. I think the Contender fad has calmed down to a dull roar now. I've owned several Contenders in two phases and had many barrels but never a .35 Rem. I could never adequately master shooting the Contenders.
I found a bit of 35 loaded ammo and components...brass and bullets.

Most of the ammo was priced 80-85.00 a box...ugh! But found one for half that

I was suspect on the fired brass, so looked each one over...then found some old boxes of unopened .358" bullets...both 200 and 180gr.

It was a smaller show, about 70 tables...but mostly older stuff

I'll bring my Model 8 and 81

If it's a reblue, they did a crappy job...as the grip area stamping is sharp and clear, no buff marks.

Same with the engraving/stamp on the barrel shroud showing the patent dates...all edges are sharp with some wear.

View attachment 1391950
Might be the photos but looks hot blued not rust blued like factory. Secret of the universe in rebluing without buffing is muriatic acid an a little hand shine from a soft rag.

After starting a thread on St Patrick's day, renaming it Frank Hamer day, as his birthday falls on the same day...this presented itself soon after.

35 Remington with a serial number that puts it at 1912, almost new in box condition. For those that may not know, Hamer used a Model 8 in 35 Remington to put down Bonnie and Clyde.

View attachment 1391898

View attachment 1391899

View attachment 1391900

View attachment 1391901

View attachment 1391902

View attachment 1391903
"Put down" Bonnie and Clyde? Its more like he turned them into a modern art exhibit that made Picasso envious.

;):D

Might be the photos but looks hot blued not rust blued like factory. Secret of the universe in rebluing without buffing is muriatic acid an a little hand shine from a soft rag.
Not doubting you, going to research it a bit...but the usual reblue signs aren't there.

It does have some usual wear, just not much for being 1912. There's a few nicks and dings here and there that are through the finish, but are small.

Comparing the finish to the specimens at the recent gunshow, it's a close match...but not perfect.

If it's a reblue, it's as if they left some areas original and then blended it and buffed other areas.

Hmmmmmm...going to track down the people that had it on consignment to get some history on it.

Not doubting you, going to research it a bit...but the usual reblue signs aren't there.

It does have some usual wear, just not much for being 1912. There's a few nicks and dings here and there that are through the finish, but are small.

Comparing the finish to the specimens at the recent gunshow, it's a close match...but not perfect.

If it's a reblue, it's as if they left some areas original and then blended it and buffed other areas.

Hmmmmmm...going to track down the people that had it on consignment to get some history on it.
My 1912 Model 8 has original bluing on it if you want to compare.
I believe they changed it by 1947, when my Model 81 was made