JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My 1912 Model 8 has original bluing on it if you want to compare.
I believe they changed it by 1947, when my Model 81 was made
I'd be up for that...let me know the best way and when to get together.

I'm not a collector...can't have a gun I can't or won't shoot...don't believe in the safe-queen thing either.

If it's been refinished, I'm good with it...happy to have a good operational specimen.

Yeah don't take it as me knocking it. It's a clean one for sure. I love these rifles,they point like a shotgun. Don't forget to pull the plug screw an add a little oil to the buffer springs.

This Model 81 .300 Savage was being walked around the "Crappy Portland Show" some years back.

1679945488421.jpeg

Stone mint condition. I promptly took it up on the ridge behind the house and shot a little Blacktail buck.

I warn people before they shoot it that, "It'll sound like a screen door slammed in your face." :D

1679946486158.png

Last Edited:
Yeah don't take it as me knocking it. It's a clean one for sure. I love these rifles,they point like a shotgun. Don't forget to pull the plug screw an add a little oil to the buffer springs.
No harm, no foul here.

Although I would have liked it to be all original, like I said above...not into safe queens, won't own a gun I can't shoot.

I love nostalgic firearms. The last year of my LE career I borrowed a Colt 1911 chambered in Super 38 and carried it...that pistol was from 1934...ironic eh?

I would love to find a 15 round conversion magazine for this...I can see this unit then going on security duty for the place...I guess I refuse to grow out of the era I started LE work...with a 38 revolver.

Cheers...

No harm, no foul here.

Although I would have liked it to be all original, like I said above...not into safe queens, won't own a gun I can't shoot.

I love nostalgic firearms. The last year of my LE career I borrowed a Colt 1911 chambered in Super 38 and carried it...that pistol was from 1934...ironic eh?

I would love to find a 15 round conversion magazine for this...I can see this unit then going on security duty for the place...I guess I refuse to grow out of the era I started LE work...with a 38 revolver.

Cheers...
Those mag conversions require Alot of fitting. I'd find a spare lower to practice on. 38 super Is the perfect 1911. Don't care what the 45 fudds say. 10mm is next but isn't classic or classy.

Those mag conversions require Alot of fitting. I'd find a spare lower to practice on. 38 super Is the perfect 1911. Don't care what the 45 fudds say. 10mm is next but isn't classic or classy.
.38 Super is fine if you get one of the newer barrels that headspaces on the case mouth and has the reduced rim-size.. I like it better than the bottlenecked .357 SIG which has lost it's first flush of popularity.. The old .38super was frustrating and about burnt me out of the cartridge- got fed up with it in the 70's and didnt look back... but thanks to it's popularity in high power pistol shooting, it was improved and for the waaay better.
The .40 is mo bettah and am looking at 10mm Glocks (or sumthin like) but then I'm done buying new guns (uh-huh uh-huh) and sticking to knives these days. Thinning the herd ya know to make it simpler for the wife to dispose of the decedent's "stuff" at some future date...

The Rem model 8 is a bucket list item for me. Along with a Winchester Self Loading rifle.
I had RSO duty at the range a few weeks ago. Weather was cold and blustery and the 100yard range was empty.
I decided to do a thorough brass clean up. Found a grungy cartridge case stuck in a crack...marked "351 WSL".
Looks like a straight wall pistol cartridge...about 357mag length.
Dillinger's gang loved this rifle. Homer van Meter killed a young South Bend Indiana cop with one while providing surpressing fire while Dillinger and Baby Face Nelson robbed the Bank. Baby Face shotup the bank's interior with a Tommy gun.
Stephen Hunter wrote a great book about these gangsters and the impotent FBI..."G-Man".

Last Edited:
I did. It was an early model before they were called a Model 8 and was known as a Remington Autoloading Rifle.
I sold it ages ago.

Glad @backwoodstripp Lazarus'd this thread. I was doing annual "clean, inspect, oil" on my guns last night, and the Model 8 was front and center.
Two other guns were out getting the same, and mounted a different scope on my triple-deuce.
I think I'll take them all to the range this weekend - should be empty with the weather.

I have a remibgto. 22 mfg 1911 can't tell diff between it and browning sa 22 I don't find one like it anywhere
The Remington Model 24 is a Browning design (same design as the later produced Browning SA). Just like a Remington Model 11 Shotgun is the "first" Browning Auto-5.

They were made from 1922 to 1935 (Yours may show a patent date of 1911).

Excellent guns, all.

Last Edited:
Very nice find! (@Cerberus Group) I have a Model 81 (dated at 1939 if my memory serves correctly) and it's a blast to shoot. Oddly I never noticed the screen door slammin' in my face aspect (always love me some @Spitpatch perspective on things). I did notice however, due to some old ammo that came with it, a slight delay in detonation that kinda reminded me of a blackpowder rifle. That ammo then became "collectable" instead of shootable, plus the old boxes are kind of cool looking.

I found a bit of 35 loaded ammo and components...brass and bullets.

Most of the ammo was priced 80-85.00 a box...ugh! But found one for half that

I was suspect on the fired brass, so looked each one over...then found some old boxes of unopened .358" bullets...both 200 and 180gr.

It was a smaller show, about 70 tables...but mostly older stuff
in the 1980's when I got my first .35 Rem., the cartridge was still fairly common. When I started reloading for it, stuff was fairly easy to get. .32 Rem. was a hard one to get but I could still buy .30 Rem. in RP factory ammo at a local hardware store. But this is how time will bite you in the butt. Now, .35 Rem. anything has become scarce.

I waited a long time after the Covid caused shortages to find a couple of boxes of 35 Rem.
They weren't as cheap as they used to be, but they were better priced than what the speculators (scalpers) were asking.