JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What are everyone's thoughts on the new Remington 700 Magpul in 260 Rem or 308?

I'm wanting a heavy barrel Rem 700 in 260 rem and this seems like a pretty easy way to get there for under $1,000. I can't seem to find any info online about it anywhere besides what's on the Remington website.

Model 700 Magpul

Thanks!

i think 260 rem is cool because its different!

cant go wrong with magpul or a Remigton 700!

there was a guy on here from bend with a 260rem for sale. idk if he still has it. check rifle classifieds

I agree that it's more expensive than it needs to be. I've found it online for just south of $900 but that's before transfer fees and shipping. It's really the only option though for someone wanting a factory built heavy barrel 260 Rem in a model 700. I don't know if you could get a heavy barrel SPS, the stock, the muzzle threaded and a cerakote job for less... But if you want a heavy barrel 6.5mm then your stuck with this or rebarreling or building from a bare action.

I wish there were some first hand reviews out there or even a review from the YouTube gun people.

Not that the 260 is bad but.... Why the heck is Remington not chambering any guns in 6.5 Creedmoor?

One of my LGS has a 700 Long Range in a Magpul stock sitting on their shelf. I like it a lot. If it was a 7mm mag instead of a 300 WM, it would probably be mine.

Disclaimer: I own an AICS though too so I may not be the best judge of a good looking gun. ;)

Last Edited:
Don't get me wrong, it a sweet gun and the stock is probably awesome functionality wise, but maybe its the color and the big thumbhole circle that just doesn't do it for me.

If that rifle was in my price range I would definately be swooping it up.

I'm going to pick up one of those Remington Magpul 700's though when funds allow.

I put together an sps vamint with the 26" heavy barrel last year in .308 and added the magpul stock. One raged hole at 100 yards. I got a deal on the stock and a deal plus a rebate on the rifle and only have about $700 in it before optics and stuff. Very comfortable stock and I think it is actually very nice looking. The cool thing about the one you are looking at it is the cerakote. The sps finish sucks!

IMG_2287.JPG

As for the AICS 2.0 chassis that was rattle canned I would just throw some viper skins on it. That's what I have on my AICS 2.0 and I am a huge fan of the pistol grip vs the thumb hole stock.

Back to the OP, The R700 does look like a decent setup although personally if I was going to pay that kind of coin I would go for one of the new chassis rifles from Tikka, Ruger, or Savage before that as for that price you will get a more versatile chassis and they all come with scope rails pre-installed which will save you extra money over the Remington although you would be limited to 6.5 creedmoor vs 260 rem although ballistically they are extremely similar especially when you consider the constrains placed on you by standard length magazines.

Options I would pick over the R700:
RPR: Ruger® Ruger Precision Rifle® * Bolt-Action Rifle Models

Tikka T3X TAC A1 (Available in 6.5 creed or 260 rem): T3x TAC A1

Savage: Savage Arms

I have a hard ceiling of $1,000 to spend so that puts the Ruger and Tikka outta the price range. I looked at the Tikka CTR but would like a barrell longer that 20". Not that the Rem 700 Magpul is much longer at 22" but it's a compromise I guess. Grabagun.com has it for $877 shipped.

Last Edited:
Got my gun money burning a hole in my pocket and I'm getting cold feet on what to choose.

Option 1: Get the Rem 700 Magpul ($880), a solid scope base ($100) and go shoot and hope its a good shooter. Maybe upgrade to a TRG X-Ray chassis down the road if Magpul stock doesn't cut the mustard.

Option 2: Get a leftover Tikka CTR for $750 and upgrade to X-Ray chassis in a month or two when funds allow.

decisions decisions... Are the Rem 700's as of last few years as bad as some claim to be??

Like I said. My SPS varmint in .308 with the magpul stock: one raged hole at 100 yards and dial the vortex hs lr 6x24x50 up 7.5moa with the elevation turret at 350 yards and hit a 3x5" card leaning over the hood of a pickup. You can't go wrong with the Remington, not a waste of money. I have right at $750 into rifle and stock with discounts after tax.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top