JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
From this article:
families of the victims argued that the gun maker irresponsibly marketed the weapon to at-risk young men such as the Sandy Hook shooter through product placement in violent video games.
And from this other Fox Business article:

The company also had said the lawsuit should have been dismissed because of a federal law that gives broad immunity to the gun industry. But the Connecticut Supreme Court ruled Remington could be sued under state law over how it marketed the rifle. The gun maker appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court, which declined to hear the case.
So the lawsuit is all about marketing rather than holding the manufacture liable for its involvement in the shooting itself, and was carried out under state law rather than federal. It may not have gotten to this point in other states.

So I suppose the good news is that it doesn't look like this provides a new precedent for firearms manufacturers getting sued directly for their products being involved in crime, and the PLCAA commerce law immunity should still hold.

The bad news is that it still seems dumb to me. I mean, a lot of the macho BS marketing in the industry is dumb too, but I don't think they should be able to be sued for it (really remington? man cards?). This seems like a modern version of the "shooting video games makes people violent" argument, which has never had any validity. "Marketing makes people violent!"

Pandora's box has been opened. Car manufactures are next? Alcohol brewers? Where will it stop? The individual IS NO LONGER responsible for their actions. The pencil is the problem liberal mentality has struck.

Makes a nice, flashy news item. But the underlying facts aren't what they appear to be.

I'm sorry for anyone who has to lose their child to a premature death. It happens in life but it used to be way more common than it is now, what with infant mortality, disease, and so on. So in this era, we are not used to it and it hurts all the more when it happens. But payments of money aren't going to ease the pain and they aren't needed to support a family as the child was not a breadwinner. Money that lawyers are going to get some big chunk of.

So if the money won't replace dead children, what's the benefit. Punishment of the "guilty," I guess. But not even that is happening. Because the company involved no longer exists. It effectively went away with the bankruptcy liquidation. The payout is coming from insurance coverage that was in place for Remington when it was still a going concern. Nobody who was running or working at Remington is being hurt from it. And it's hard to feel sorry for insurance companies, they will make it up somewhere else. The "victim" families will get their vacation properties and motor homes and the lawyers will get paid.

What's left in this, satisfaction for the gun-haters that a blow has been struck against corporate gun manufacturers. And probably some encouragement and guidance for more of the same.

Something that I've thought of before. What if this doesn't stop with corporations? What if it "trickles down" to individual gun sales? Holding individuals liable for guns they've sold in the past and no longer own. Could happen.

Such bullbubblegum. So that piece of bubblegum that ran all those folks down at the parade... is the maker of the van he used going to get sued next? WTF!?

Such bullbubblegum. So that piece of bubblegum that ran all those folks down at the parade... is the maker of the van he used going to get sued next? WTF!?
Exactly! The van manufacturer should have known the GVW turned that van into a weapon of mass destruction . . . BS !
There is no law that will protect anyone against those who are intent upon doing evil 😳

Last Edited:
These idiots in our government seem to think you can legislate evil away... Those with evil in their hearts give no bubblegums about the people they hurt, let alone the laws that prohibit such actions.

Wait a minute!!!

So, Remington advertised to autistic children and advised them to break into the locked cabinet and then shoot school children? No wonder there was a suit.
That's jumping the gun. Wind back the clock. I doubt the mother was influenced by the marketing campaign aimed at young men. We don't know because her son murdered her. She had one of America's most popular firearms. Nothing unusual there. It's unfortunate she or her ex didn't acknowledge what a fruit cake they had on hand.

Does this mean that the drug companies that developed the covid vaccines can be held responsible for any harm done to them by the covid vaccines, NOW?

And the parents of every kid who rolled his brand new Mustang/Camaro/Charger trying to drift it like the car makers constantly show in their commercials. Are they lining up lawyers as we post here?
This is utter bullbubblegum and a very dangerous precedent. The insurance company that made this settlement just gave cause for all the other insurance companies to cut off gun manufacturers.

It would be nice to know who caved in.

I seriously doubt it was the new Remington Company in NC as they would have zero liability in this matter. I also doubt this new company would have been involved with the suit nor would it have the assets to write a check this big. And the Vista group would also have zero liability in this litigation.

Was it the insurance company that had been insuring Remington when they owned Bushmaster? If it was, it could have been a bean counter cost decision. I am going to guess the legal bills for this type of case would have been well into the six digit range per month. I have seen other situations where a decision to settle was cheaper to negotiate a settlement than to fight.

Or was it combination of the bankruptcy committee and the insurance company? The news release makes mention of the insurance companies that had been insuring the old Remington company and the bankruptcy committee and a prior offer they had put forth to settle.

For example, Ruger now self-insures because of the issues they had with insurance companies writing a check to make an issue go away. Bill Ruger made the decision, if you are going to sue Ruger, that they would go the trenches when faced with litigation.

Many attorneys will pursue litigation knowing that an insurance company will write a check, because the check is less than the litigation costs, to make a case go away.

I feel that plaintiff's attorneys who lose a case should be required to cover the defendant's legal bills and related expenses. This would end frivolous lawsuits. Some countries in the world already do this.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top