JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just picked up this original Remington Creedmoor model long range rifle this week!
The Creedmoor model was specifically design by Remington engineer LL Hepburn in 1873 to compete in 800-1000 yd. long range matches. And saw it's first full use at the 1874 match at the Creedmoor world match against the championship Irish team on Creed's Farm (or Moor) on Long Island, NY.
The rules of the day restricted weight of the guns to 10 lb. maximum, 34" barrels, non set triggers with a 3 lb. pull, and iron sights. The US team was 8 shooters consisting of 4 from Remington and 4 from Sharps, each shooting custom made Creedmoor long range rifles built by hand at the two companies. The caliber was developed by Remington and Sharps, and was the .44-77 SBN. But ammo was custom loaded with the bullets seated way out to get 90 grs. of powder in the case! The US beat the Irish team, and continued to dominate world match shooting for 4 years, until other countries refused to compete with the US.

q0ysRBEl.jpg
vH3BrDdl.jpg
2sFqbDyl.jpg
NvVNotUl.jpg

This particular rifle is the lowest known serial number, in the 1500 range. Major Fulton of the Creedmoor team had #3314, and George A. Custer was given #3300 by Remington, both in 1874. The model was introduced in 1873, but only those with ties to Remington knew of this upcoming model that wasn't in the catalog until 1874! So this gun is an 1873 Creedmoor built before the 1874 introduction. It is all matching numbers, including the stocks serialized to the action.
The Creedmoor rifles were almost all half octagon barrels also. The two rifles mention above, owned by Fulton and Custer, were full octagon, and maybe one more? A few were also made in full round, which this is one of those. A total of less than 300 Creedmoor rifles were made from 1873-1878 when the model was dropped.
The bore is gorgeous on this rifle, which indicates somebody took great care after shooting it to ensure it was cleaned and oiled. At some point the windage globe front sight was removed, as was the tang sight. Like many Creedmoor rifles, it's also set up for a tang sight in what is referred to as the "heel position" This was just above the buttplate on the stock, and was for shooting in the "back position", where the shooter laid on his back, with the barrel laid between his crossed legs, and knees bent. A strange position, but it took away the brutal recoil of the 90 gr. BP charge, and 535 gr. bullet off the shooter's shoulder!
I have the original front sight, and two bases. But will be getting a reproduction long range tang sight from The Original Sight Co. in Wyoming. Doubt I'd ever come across a real Re, tang sight, and if I did it would be very expensive; like over $1,000!

My first thought on the "back position" is that it looks terribly uncomfortable. My thoughts were echoed by this guy :s0114:

View attachment 980012

Colonel Beaufoy (c1808) noted that "as the position is not only awkward but painful, this method is seldom used as a position of practice."
http://www.researchpress.co.uk/index.php/marksmanship/art-of-shooting/the-back-position
I agree. I've tried it on one of my other Rolling Block rifles set up with a heel location sight, and it's too uncomfortable to shoot well. The other issue is what's shown in your image....how do you elevate the gun as much as you need to for 800-1000 yd. targets? I tried on our 1,000 yd. dinger to cross my legs and bend my knees to get the barrel at enough angle, but then you need to keep your knees together to also keep the barrel up high enough. Just impossible if you're not a contortionist. I'll stick with the tang sight location, and my cross sticks.

I ordered a reproduction vernier tang sight for the Creedmoor from the Original Sight Co. in Wyoming. It arrived Sat. and the sight is a spot on perfect copy! As good as anything Remington built, and tough to tell it's a repro!

qKLkEXbl.jpg

i9WiVr6l.jpg

GSMVBfYl.jpg

Just got a couple pounds of Old Ensford 2f from a friend so I can work up loads for this Creedmoor rifle. Also have wads coming from John Walters, and cast up a bunch of 535 gr. bullets also. So once the wads arrive, I can work up some loads to shoot at the range.
This BP cartridge thing is all new to me after only loading smokeless in my old guns for over 45 years! I'm anxious to learn all the ins and outs of BPCR, and have friends giving me great advice. But it's sure not as simple as it's been to load for Smokeless ammo!

I've seen this cartoon previously, and it's a very early one too! So even back in the day people found it funny watching some of the positions used in long-range match shooting.
The vast majority of shooters did not like what we consider the "normal" prone position, and I can understand why! I've tried it and the way the buttplate sits more towards the top of your shoulder, instead of as it fits seated, or standing, is very uncomfortable when shooting big bores with a lot of case capacity!
But shooting in the normal back position, where the gun isn't even touching the shoulder, and is allowed to recoil freely, makes it possible to shoot all day, for many days, and not affect the shooter at all.

back05.jpg

I finally made some time to get the stocks on my Remington Creedmoor rifle more finished, so they look more correct to what Remington finish was, and not the flat, plain, light color someone re-did on my rifle. I stripped the surface, and applied a reddish hue stain to the stock and forearm, and after a few coats I applied some Wipe On Poly. Only took a few coats as the stock grain was very closed grain and took it quickly. Let it dry for a couple weeks, and then rubbed it out with rottenstone, and then finished with Minnwax paste wax, and buffed the stocks out.

Before:

GSMVBfYl.jpg

After:

CzPo3Dhl.jpg

cPikKgKl.jpg

8m2nrcql.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show