JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
80s Weatherby MK V 30-06, core-lokt shot best out of these factory loads.
I stay away from the thunderbolt .22 ever since I had a box that wouldn't cycle in my riger 10/22 about every 3rd round. I also avoid their .223 since I found this in one of their boxes.

20190602_153425.jpg 20190602_153420.jpg 20180915_191646.jpg

Better make sure they wear eye protection. I was not kidding about blown rims. Having a blown rim leaving a "sunburn" around your glasses makes a believer right fast. So does bullet bounce back and getting hit in the glasses.

Yeah, finding that in ANY box of ammo, .223 or not, makes me wonder what else they putting out/letting through. Shooting is half mental anyway, and wondering if the ammo is going to blow up and spray you with brass fragments (no, it is NOT "shrapnel") does nothing for you.

Last Edited:
Better make sure they wear eye protection. I was not kidding about blown rims. Having a blown rim leaving a "sunburn" around your glasses makes a believer right fast. So does bullet bounce back and getting hit in the glasses.

Yeah, finding that in ANY box of ammo, .223 or not, makes me wonder what else they putting out/letting through. Shooting is half mental anyway, and wondering if the ammo is going to blow up and spray you with brass fragments (no, it is NOT "shrapnel") does nothing for you.
Eye protection, & ear protection always. Never experienced blown rims, but your caution is noted. Mostly got lots of duds.

80s Weatherby MK V 30-06, core-lokt shot best out of these factory loads.
I stay away from the thunderbolt .22 ever since I had a box that wouldn't cycle in my riger 10/22 about every 3rd round. I also avoid their .223 since I found this in one of their boxes.

View attachment 864061 View attachment 864062 View attachment 864066

Good shooting AK, Weatherbys work. Your batch seems to have been really good.
I have a Winchester that is only good for 3 rounds. Thats it, 3 and no more until cold again. But those 3 will clover leaf.

Corelokt seemed to be really good back in the day but that box shot like crap in my rifles. I still have it. I should check it for runout and velocity and seating depth the next time I run across it.

One time I found a Winchester 40 case that was discolored, eaten up and wall burned thru just above the web. The rest of the box was good. Never bought them again. If I found a case mashed like that 223 they would be on my list too.

All of this is another reason to hand load, because I don't think any plant runs perfectly all the time.

Last Edited:
if you can overlook all the misfires, blown rims
Interesting, I have not experienced this, myself with Thunderbolt. Maybe the batch quality has inconsistencies? I typically buy it 5k rounds at a time, and go through it, at least when we're not in a panic. Had more issues with particular lots of Federal .22 in bulk not going off. ( and this is in competition guns with strong ignition systems.) Had one time where I bought the black pack stuff, couple of 1600 round boxes, and so much of it failed to go off, I quit shooting it. Still have quite a bit.

Interesting, I have not experienced this, myself with Thunderbolt. Maybe the batch quality has inconsistencies? I typically buy it 5k rounds at a time, and go through it, at least when we're not in a panic. Had more issues with particular lots of Federal .22 in bulk not going off. ( and this is in competition guns with strong ignition systems.) Had one time where I bought the black pack stuff, couple of 1600 round boxes, and so much of it failed to go off, I quit shooting it. Still have quite a bit.
None are perfect. None.

I should add that the 2 1600 round boxes were the SECOND time I purchased the same stuff... the first batch worked so flawlessly, I wanted more. *shrug*

Is there any estimate on what percent of marketshare this one factory has? The market situation does seem to have improved last couple weeks but is this big reason or other factors more important ?

Is there any estimate on what percent of marketshare this one factory has? The market situation does seem to have improved last couple weeks but is this big reason or other factors more important ?
the industry publication I get claims Remington was 46% of US small arms ammunition production before the bankruptcy

(the industry publication I get claims Remington was 46% of US small arms ammunition production before the bankruptcy)

That is a big WOW. Even if that is inflated a little it will make huge difference. Even 25% more suddenly hitting the market will have a snowball effect. Memories are always short. Last great panic few seem to remember what happens when the damn breaks. There is untold tons of ammo sitting with people watching the market. Some are making real bank selling it. When the pipeline starts to fill again a LOT of it hits the market from people trying to get out of the inventory they have before price goes lower. Just as the buying panic dries it up, the panic to sell works the other way. Whether some like Rem ammo or not will make no difference. As ammo hits the market all other ammo is no longer as hot an item.
The only constant here is as soon as the shelves fill and the stuff is on sale again most will ignore it and seem to forget there was ever a shortage :s0092:

The Remington Ammo factory supposedly was back up and running end of Feb. I never cared for their ammo because I didn't like their brass but hopefully they can sell some primers for us reloaders.
With the Vista group now owning the Remington ammo brand and associated names, the product quality will improve. Also, Remington labeled products will differ in some ways from past Remington products. I suspect Vista will package ammo with a Remington label from other manufacturing locations. Vista already does this with their Federal, CCI and Speer labels.
Vista has invested heavily into updating and modernizing the plant they bought from the bankruptcy court. Because Remington was on COD with every supplier, they were unable to do basic maintenance in their ammo plant, hence the decline in their products quality.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top