Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Remington 870 Wingmaster as home defense

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Saltybob2, May 21, 2012.

1. Saltybob2

Saltybob2 Portland New Member

I used to own a Remington 870 Wingmaster, 12 ga but sold it. "Twas a wonderful shotgun. I am hoping for qualified opinions of this, with an 18" barrel, as a back up for our home defense. I no longer hunt so it probably would sit in the closet 'till Jesus comes back. But I want something to suppliment the Glocks. TIA.
    Danny

2. Cheesemaker

Cheesemaker Tillamook Active Member

The 870 is a excellent gun. But for home defense, you could look into a Mossberg. Cheaper, and just as reliable. Hell, just hit up some pawn shops, should be able to find something that is affordable. Especially, for something thats just gonna sit there. Uncle found a 10 gauge pump, no name goose gun that's scary accurate, for $100 at the store where Hwy 53 meets Hwy 26 in the coast range. The gas station that was in Kindergarten Cop.

3. unionguy

unionguy Portland Active Member

I really like my 870 that I got a HD stock and barrel for...but I have use for the longer barrel and hunting too. If you don't, you might want to just trade for a dedicated HD gun. I love the 870 just because its everywhere.

4. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Excellent choice for home defense especially with the shorter barrel. I hope mine sits unused for a long time, but I'm glad it's there.

5. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

It would work well for home defense. And, you're already familiar with its operation and fit, so it should come natural to use.

6. skywag

skywag On the Columbia River Active Member

The 870 is the most popular shotgun in the world for a reason. They just fit!

7. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

There's an 870 in my closet with an 18" slug barrel. The 28" vent rib comes out of the safe around September...I've had that shotty for about 30 years and it's never failed to operate with 100% reliability. The same cant be said for the loose scew behind the stock.

8. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

9. Saltybob2

Saltybob2 Portland New Member

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.