JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
a few months ago i bought an 870 express tactical (the one with the powder coated barrel and reciever and screw in choke). it is used primarily in a hd role, but may find its way into the trunk of my car or behind the seat of my truck from time to time. therefore, wheight and bulk need to be kept to a minimum, and durability to a maximum. i need some advise and direction on some mods.

first, a light. i'm thinking the streamlight tlr-1. its light, mounts to a rail easily, and has a remote switch available for it. i just need a way to mount it. i was thinking of something that replaces the mag extension/ barrel brace with a short section of rail. the standard mount that pops up when i do a search looks a bit flimsy. any ideas?

second, the front sight has been powdercoated along with the barrell and offers no contrast. i was thinking a fiber optic sight. how do i remove the old bead? most shotgun beads i have seen have a hex nut base that screws out. the one on my 870 doesn't. i added a pic so you would get the idea.

third and finally, the recoil with 00 buck is managable, but cheek slap is knocking me sensless. i put a cheek pad on and that has mitigated the slap to tolerable levels, but it has raised my eye position to a point that i have to dope my poa at distance. is there a way to shim the stock to a lower position? i was thinking a sure shot stock, anyone tried one?

thanks for the help.

take some emery cloth to the bead - followed by a good metal polish. Mask off the sight with masking tape so that you're only poishing the bead. You can then use clear or any number of bright (even neon) nail polish availabe at any drug store. You can use Sight Black (carbon black paint) or smoke on the ramp to improve contrast and reduce glare.
That's the cheap method....
I'm not certain about you other options short of buying a new 870 barrel with the sights you prefer.

As for the stock, and seeing as you want to be able to put it it a place with limited space, you migh want to look into the Knoxx brand of folding stocks... some models have a recoil reducing mechanism in the stock. <broken link removed>

take some emery cloth to the bead - followed by a good metal polish. Mask off the sight with masking tape so that you're only poishing the bead. You can then use clear or any number of bright (even neon) nail polish availabe at any drug store. You can use Sight Black (carbon black paint) or smoke on the ramp to improve contrast and reduce glare.

that's a good idea. i'm going to try that. the last thing i want to do is buy a new barrel. the barrel is the whole reason i bought this thing. its the only 18" barrel i could find that takes interchangable chokes.

i found the barrel clamp i was looking for. it's made by mesa tactical.

that just leaves the stock. i was looking to avoid the colapsible stock route for cost/complexity/weight reasons. i just need a way to increase the drop a bit.

that's a good idea. i'm going to try that. the last thing i want to do is buy a new barrel. the barrel is the whole reason i bought this thing. its the only 18" barrel i could find that takes interchangable chokes.

i found the barrel clamp i was looking for. it's made by mesa tactical.

that just leaves the stock. i was looking to avoid the colapsible stock route for cost/complexity/weight reasons. i just need a way to increase the drop a bit.

I had similar reservations regarding my 870 but I went with the stock anyway....and I haven't regretted it.
I'll look into the Mesa Tactical gear.
Cheers,
Jorge

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads