JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is your 870 not reliable?

There really isn't anything to do to "increase reliability" the gun should work or it doesn't. Remington uses a couple different parts in their "Police" guns (the carrier dog lifter spring and the extractor), but a "normal" 870 should run just fine.

Before getting into the gun you might spend a couple bucks on something like the AGI video for 870s, they do a good job of explaining everything. You'll come to understand there isn't anything to "improve" on mechanically with the gun as it is.

Seems like the biggest thing is just to get it out and shoot it, shoot it a lot!

Both my 870's run fine but I have had guys claim the tool steel extractors are a must have upgrade and have heard replacing plastic shell followers and some springs would increase reliability. I am not an 870 nut, that's why I ask, however in firearms in general it is common practice to upgrade internals to increase performance/reliability. There is an entire market centered around just that for Glocks, 10/22's and of course AR's. Your comment above makes it sound like you think it's nuts that someone would think of doing it for an 870. I don't know 870's, that's why I ask if there was.

I have a express super mag, that was a rental gun from skeep range. Due to its extreme use for 10 years. The action is butter smooth and still has the mim extractor. Aside from a mijority the parkerizing bring worn off. It's 100% reliable and a dream to shoot.

My .02
All things fail at some point, but if it's not broken don't fix it. Keep it lightly lubed and some what clean

Both my 870's run fine but I have had guys claim the tool steel extractors are a must have upgrade and have heard replacing plastic shell followers and some springs would increase reliability. I am not an 870 nut, that's why I ask, however in firearms in general it is common practice to upgrade internals to increase performance/reliability. There is an entire market centered around just that for Glocks, 10/22's and of course AR's. Your comment above makes it sound like you think it's nuts that someone would think of doing it for an 870. I don't know 870's, that's why I ask if there was.
I guess I do kinda think it nuts, but then I'm also pretty big on "keeing things stock." Only thing I'll ever add to a Glock is sights. As for the 870s, I'd tell anyone "not to worry" about the MIM extractor, but in the same breath have to disclose Ihave changed all the MIMed extractors out of my 870s. Still, though, not necessary. Seems most folks just need to get out and shoot. In looking at what most 870 smiths do, its all pretty basic add-ons. Vang Comp has some good stuff and services, Wilson Combat is one shop I'm not a fan of. Either high profile shop doesn't do anything to to the action or internals, just add-on parts and finishes. Vang has done a lot of R&D in their porting and back bore service. If you order the same service from Wilson, they ship your barrel to Vang for the service. Wilson told me years ago their "upgrades" don't include the new extractor or lifter spring. Seems like upgrades worth doing, but not something were doing (not sure if they do this now or not).

On the other side of the coin, there ARE a couple things that can be done to the 870 that will screw it up. See folks "inprove" the "feel" of their action be "cleaning up" the action arms and in doing so inadvertently alter the geometry that controls the shell stop/interrupter, then the gun just might stop working correctly.

This is just me, but FWIW, I like ole well used 870 (as madmax mentioned). I'll look to change out that MIM extractor for the tool steel part and the carrier dog lifter spring (a Rem 1100 part) then add Vang Comp magazine extension, follower and large head safety. Refinish is just parkerizing (not a fan of gun paint). Again, none of this is at all necessary.

In the end, just get em out and shoot em.

So it appears you are the 870 guru. What do you recommend internal wise for increased reliability?
Not sure why the answers have been what they are, but I can tell you definitively that you should change out the follower if it is the plastic one. They heat up, expand, and seize. Otherwise the gun is good-to-go.

The factory follower is fine but it is a wear part.

From personal experience a brownells SS fallower and wilson combat fallower will jam up in negitive temperatures due uneven shrinking. The same can be said for magazine extensions

DSC06606.jpg
Just thought to add my 870 Wingmaster from 1962.
It is in .20 gauge , 28 inch barrel and a Modified choke.
My first gun ... Given to me by my Granddad , many years ago.
Has been and will continue to be used on clay birds , squirrels , rabbits and grouse.
Andy

Last Edited:
YES! 870 supermag....my fav turkey gun.....kinda like a 10g.....but still can shoot the "smaller" others :) Your not alone in the love for them (obviously).

I like my speedfeed stock....4 slugs quick:s0048:

View attachment 357110
Just thought to add my 870 Wingmaster from 1960.
It is in .20 gauge , 28 inch barrel and a Modified choke.
My first gun ... Given to me by my Granddad , many years ago.
Has been and will continue to be used on clay birds , squirrels , rabbits and grouse.
Andy
Remember this one word.....WINGMASTER....if you are shopping 870's.
These are the REAL 870's.
There are usually some around for reasonable prices.
Many were made.

The Express models, IMO were made to compete in the low end market with Mossberg and the imports.
If you want a nice 870, choose the Wingmaster.

Wrong! It boils done to fit and finish and a MIM part or two

Just like any car maker. You can have a base model "express" or the SS, Z06 bla bla with all the fanzy stuff "trap" "wingmaster"

Also keep in mind, they don't say "express" any more and haven't for a few years

A will used express feel just as good as a new wingmaster

Wrong! It boils done to fit and finish and a MIM part or two

Just like any car maker. You can have a base model "express" or the SS, Z06 bla bla with all the fanzy stuff "trap" "wingmaster"

Also keep in mind, they don't say "express" any more and haven't for a few years

A will used express feel just as good as a new wingmaster
Totally wrong, dood.
Express is low end.....deal with it.
Well, it's the economy version of the 870.

:D

Crap, not a snowball's chance in being governor now !

Last Edited:
I'm not trying to make you cry or anything like that. :D
If you are happy with the Express, then so be it.

For anyone shopping for an 870, take a look around.
You might be able to find a used 870 Wingmaster for a great deal.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top