JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Remington's "new" butt works really well, and you can fit them to almost every Rem shotgun made! My 1187 came with one of these, and man, it really took the comfort level up a few notches, I literally shoot all day, and have never had anything this nice for a pad! Those 3'' mag shells can hurt after a full day, this makes it really easy on old farts like me! Its, about 8 years old now, and still looks new!

Turns out I had enough extra parts to build this.

20160621_172355.jpg

I really like the 2nd one from the bottom.
Me too, that one is AWESOME ;)

To step back a bit and try to get an objective point of view, its sometimes seems kinda hard to imagine how such a simple firearm like a shotgun, in particular (for this discussion) the 870 can garner so much attention; moth to a flame I suppose.

...no addiction here though.

1115121322.jpg

...now Ithaca M37s, there is something to get addicted to!

Got this as a recent birthday present from father in law, he picked it up from a guy he worked with who built it in the 90s. It has less than 20 rounds through it and it is my first 870. It had an original surefire forend but I replaced it with a magpul. But I will leave the wood stock. I like the mix of wood and tactical.

20160829_164929.jpg 20160829_173141.jpg

#11 is call a fallower. I run stainless steel fallower from brownells

In the early 50s they were steel and changed to plastic after that.

Bought my first 870 back in'82 thru the Mather AFB gun club. 20 ga (2 3/4") 870 Wingmaster built on the 12 ga. frame. Came with a 25" skeet barrel and a 28" modified barrel. Shot a lot of skeet and birds with that thing (still do). Managed to get a AA skeet rating in both 12 and 20 ga shooting it. Eventually put a Jack West adjustable stock on it as my face was getting a little too fat and I was looking at having to reduce the original stock comb to compensate. Didn't want to mess with the nice wood. The new stock lightened the gun up a bit and shifted the balance point forward a tad, plus I didn't feel bad dinging it up on a hunting trip. Probably have over 50,000 rounds thru it. Only repair it ever needed was a new ejector spring.

Finally bought a second 870 about 3 years ago. Basic Express model in 12 ga. Wasn't real thrilled with the stock finish (i.e. it didn't have any) so I put a tru oil finish on it and it's a lot better now. Pretty much a knock around/loaner gun.

So it appears you are the 870 guru. What do you recommend internal wise for increased reliability?
Is your 870 not reliable?

There really isn't anything to do to "increase reliability" the gun should work or it doesn't. Remington uses a couple different parts in their "Police" guns (the carrier dog lifter spring and the extractor), but a "normal" 870 should run just fine.

Before getting into the gun you might spend a couple bucks on something like the AGI video for 870s, they do a good job of explaining everything. You'll come to understand there isn't anything to "improve" on mechanically with the gun as it is.

Seems like the biggest thing is just to get it out and shoot it, shoot it a lot!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top