JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i had a 740 in 308,and i believe it was in the 1959 vintage--
it was in great shape--all concidered i would give it a 90%-- i believe it was in the condition it was ,because it was not fired much---- after the fifth shot in rapid fire ,i almost had to pry the shell casing out with a screw driver !
they seem to heat up very easy,and my big ideas of making a ten rnd. assult rifle out of it was "NATTA" now, i have read many articles on them, and as for a hunting rifle for med. game they seem to do just fine. the long action (30-06) had more problems yet--the parts are also hard to come by !i had mine for awhile, and sold it for 350.00- i have sence talked to the guy who bought it, and hunted with it this yr. with no problems at all-- so i guess there is always pro's,and con's on all guns .

my thoughts only.......steven

Thank you for your thoughts. I picked it up in trade and was considering keeping for my wife. I've just read some not so good things about them and was wondering if it was worth keeping. Again thank you

There are good ones and there are bad ones. Some are accurate and reliable and others not so much. You need to keep them clean, and, use consistently sized brass.

I was lucky - mine would shoot and shoot without a problem.

Give it a thorough cleaning and go find out for yourself.

"greatwhitebuffalo" THE CLEANING !! --the first time i cleaned mine complete ,we're talking 4 hrs. -- now the second time i had it down to 2 hrs. , but it's not an easy gun to take down , and clean ! now for "rodell" he mite be a bit better on three counts -- young eyes-- good motor movements in his fingers-- knowledge of the gun itself ! i felt like i was in the dark the whole time ! sooooooo, good luck to ya !

steven

thanks rusobr2. I've been slowly working at a good cleanin' and plan to take it out and throw some rounds through it. give it a good test. We have shot a few times and it seemed not to bad, but like I said I' read alot of not so good things about them. I thought I was getting a classic! Oh well . Thanks to all your input from everyone it has helped alot.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top