JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
700 is a pretty nice rifle
770 is OH GOD DO NOT WANT WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN

Pick them both up in a gun store, the difference is very obvious and immediately apparent

If you can't afford a 700, buy a savage

The 770 is a fine rifle. Will shoot great for you. But, if you ever want to wrench on it, like a better barrel, stock, or different scope mount, then the 700 is what you will want. JPG

Friend of mine has a 770, it's accurate and has been a good gun for as long as he has had it, a few years. He also admits that every other one he has seen has been a cheap POS that gets returned. He works at a gun counter at a local store.

Get a Savage, or a Stevens if you are on a budget, a Weatherby Vanguard or 700. I love my 700, but it is not nearly as accurate as my Stevens 200 was and at almost triple the price.

All I have heard about the 770's is bad experiences. Bi-mart right now has the savage 11 packages for $329 swap the bushnell scope when you get the money. Good deal on a good gun.

These guys are right but from my experience don't be afraid to buy a 770. I've had a 770 7mm mag for a couple seasons now my wife and kids gave it to me for Christmas I did remove the cheap scope and went with a Nikon witch I love but this rifle has dropped everything that I've pulled the trigger on. I have owned several 700s they are more solid feeling but some of us don't have the extra bones to get that one every time.

All I have heard about the 770's is bad experiences. Bi-mart right now has the savage 11 packages for $329 swap the bushnell scope when you get the money. Good deal on a good gun.

are you sure ?
$329 and bushnell sounds like a Axis which would be comparable to the 770
The model 11 is a step up from the axis or 770 as far as I seen the Savage 11 package
includes a Nikon 3x9 ?

Just check bi-mart black friday savage 11 trophy hunter with nikon scope
$424.97 with a $75 mail in rebate

Last Edited:
are you sure ?
$329 and bushnell sounds like a Axis which would be comparable to the 770
The model 11 is a step up from the axis or 770 as far as I seen the Savage 11 package
includes a Nikon 3x9 ?

Just check bi-mart black friday savage 11 trophy hunter with nikon scope
$424.97 with a $75 mail in rebate

6 years of inflation;)

I was able to get a 770 at BIG 5 once at a ridiculously low price. It was 299.99 with a cheap Bushnell scope. It was almost daring me to buy it. In 7 mm mag, it wasn't a horrible rifle. If you want a cheap rifle to drag through the woods, it's fine.

After working with people at the range and hunters sight in days... I remember one guy coming in, about 450lbs, knew all the internet lingo on why the 770's were knocked down when compared to the 700's. he knew how all of the reviews were wrong and nobody could tell him otherwise. Surely he had shot a 700 so he knew the difference himself... right? He didn't shoot it worth bubblegum and at that point I realized I needed to just encourage him by saying "everyone needs a rifle according to their ability" and left it at that.

If you can't shoot: get a 770
If you can shoot, you know already why not to get a 770.

I've seen some 770's come across my station that.... we're glorified Savage Axis'.

I'm sure you picked up a 700 series already.

Aftermarket modifications is a huge, HUGE factor in difference. Grab one of each, feel the bolt, check where the corners were cut and make your decision.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top