JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just got a Remington 700, it's a little older but in good condition it seems, and I'm having a hard time removing the bolt because I want to make sure the barrel is clean enough to fire before I get a new scope and go out sighting it in. Unfortunately, while I have found instructions on removing the bolt, I'm having a hard time doing so..... any tricks to this? I feel like it shouldn't be this hard....

First make sure gun is empty.
There should be a bolt release button in front of the trigger guard.
Lift up bolt handle, push up on button, pull back bolt.
With some older guns you raise the bolt handle, pull bolt back while squeezing the trigger to remove the bolt.

With some older guns you raise the bolt handle, pull bolt back while squeezing the trigger to remove the bolt.

Thanks muchly! That's exactly what it was. It does have the bolt release but pulling the trigger worked.

As to the others, I did have safety on and I had been checking in two manuals to find it. I'm used to a Mauser action with the simple ON/OFF lever

I think I found my issue..... There appears to be a broken part on the gun. The pic shows the mechanism that works the bolt release (getting my first lesson in gunsmithing first-hand, lol). It looks like a rivet or some other affixed metallic piece busted off and the mechanism will no longer rotate as it should. Unless there are other opinions? Anyone got any idea how much it will cost to fix and/or a worthy gunsmith local to Portland/Vancouver? For now, I can live with the inconvenience of removing the stock every time I need to remove the bolt.

busted gun part.jpg

busted gun part.jpg

Looks like a bit of corrosion on the bolt stop kept it from operating properly?

A little bit of oil to break it loose and some cleaning should help.

Just make sure the bolt release catches exactly the notch of the bolt stop when you push up on the bolt release.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top