JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm currently waiting for my Rifle Basics trigger group to arrive for my Rem 700 LVSF (.223). I don't anticipate any issues with this retrofit but I am wondering how difficult it is to replace the firing pin and spring.

I would like to reduce locktime and the stock firing pin is leaving a raised area in the center of the dent that the pin makes in the primer. I've examined the pin and it has a small pit in the tip that I believe was there when it was new. I bought this rifle used from my dad and although it's 4 years old, he never fired it.

I see there are tools you can order to help the take down process for the bolt assy. Are these tools absolutely necessary?

I have a Rem 700 VSSF that I also bought from him recently that he bought last year. He had a Rifle Basics trigger, muzzle brake, and firing pin spring (to reduce lock time) installed immediately after the purchase. It's a sweet shooting setup and I would like the .223 to have a similiar feel with a touch more pull weight on the trigger since it's a walking rifle.

I'm fairly good with computers (I've built several but I'm not a software expert).. I don't know how to do what your talking about, but my stepson is staying here temporarily so he can help me with it. He's home in the evenings. I see your AK pic there.. Keep thinking about an SKS or AK... maybe someday.

Inspector,
You may be able to unscrew the end of the bolt without the tool, but it's far easier with it, or you can always take it to your local gunsmith for disassembly. The tool is not too expensive and can pay for itself if you use it more than once. Plus, if you have the tool, you can strip the bolt down and clean it whenever you want. Reduced locktime=tighter groups :)

Got the trigger installed and to my surprise, it was set at 18 ounces.... They state 2.5lbs (40 oz) is standard factory adjustment. I adjusted it to 32 oz. which is my target pull weight and found that the adjustment induced creep. Creep was the reason I added a new trigger. I then adjusted the overtravel screw and , by and by, was able to eliminate the creep.

As far as the bolt goes, I can take it apart without the tool, but the tool makes the job easier. I need to decide on a Tubbs pin and spring or should I wait and buy the assembly with a new shroud. My rifle has the J lock and I can replace the whole setup and do away with the J lock which I don't use.

Of course their is no performance issue with the j lock. I used cable locks or trigger locks when I was worried about the kids when they were younger. One thing I don't like about the bolt shroud that has the j lock is that it appears to have a painted plastic cover. The replacement that doesn't have the lock is nice brushed aluminum. That would be purely for asthetics and buying the assembly vs. the pin and spring is only $20 more as I recall. I've never liked the j lock simply because I worry about losing the key. I probably never would but... All the other keys are on my key ring which I doubt I'll ever lose.

In the end I'll probably go the cheaper route and not buy it with the shroud. Anyway, I assume the Tubbs is working well?

I like the feel of my .22-250 which has the stock pin with an aftermarket spring. I would do the same thing with this rifle but I have a feeling the pin has a pit in the tip of it so I might as well swap it out too.

I am wondering why you would spend money on a new trigger assy. when Remington 700's have one of the best adjustable triggers on the market.

If that is the case,then why does Remington have so many recalls that are trigger related?
I also know very few precision shooters who use a factory Remington triggers.
This is not to say that the trigger is not useable,but the person working with it should know what they are doing as the design lends itself to becoming dangerous it not adjusted correctly.
In 2001 i believe,the new trigger’s design appears to be VERY similar to the old one. There are a few minor differences. The X-Mark uses Allen screws instead of slotted ones. The creep / over travel screws on the X-Mark are staked in place with some sort of thread locker. The pull weight is still adjustable. The factory setting of about four pounds is just about right for a hunting rifle. Target and varmint shooters may desire a lighter pull.
Here are some links to back up my first statement,there have been a couple lawsuits also.

http://www.remington.com/safety/safety_center/safety_modification_program/models_600_&_660.asp

http://www.remington.com/safety/safety_center/safety_modification_program/model_XP-100.asp

<broken link removed>

Just goes to show that you should not mess with things you don't know about or understand. I have a few Rem.700's and have never had a problem. I have also adjusted quite a few. If the gun is brought into my shop dirty it will not get the same kind of adjustment as the gun brought in clean. I keep all my guns clean. That does not mean they don't get dirty but it does mean I'm quite anal about a clean gun. If you are going to buy a gun and never clean it buy an AK. I had not heard about the problems with Rem. triggers so thanks for the clue in.:)

I actually own an example of what can go wrong with the Remy trigger if not correctly tuned by a competent person.
Purchased a 700 300 WM from a private party some time back,took it to the range to sight it in.
Loaded the rifle while it was sitting on sandbags (pointed down range) and put the safety on.
As soon as i took the safety off,the rifle discharged,ouch.
Unloaded the rifle and proceeded to disassemble it right there.
Yep,some jackazz stoned down the engagment just a little too far.
Since the 700 does have an adjustable trigger i was able to make it work correctly ,but in the back of my mind i knew that it could happen again,so i dropped some coin on a Canjar single set.
The rifle is now a 30X8MM Mag with a very heavy profile 28" tube,i would have hated to have that go off on me,it would have probably been very painful.
I could tell you some stories about folks with dirty firearms,rocks,bugs,spiders in barrels,a M1 Garrand that fell apart on the firing line,makes you wonder sometimes.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top