JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My new Remington 700 .308 milspec 5R has quite a bit of bullet jump (.1105) for even the longest bullet I can find and fit the magazine reliably. Yes, I know this is pretty common for factory remmy's. Does anyone have experience having their barrels set back and re-chambered to get this jump a little more under control? Interested in any prices/gunsmiths you've had good success with. Portland metro area.

Something tells me this amount of jump (175SMK's) is a bit excessive. Obviously lawyers are involved in Remington manufacturing...:s0114:

Yes everytime some idiot sue's a firearms company we get screwed, 10 lbs triggers and lotsa bullet drop. Try Alllison & Carey gin works on Stark st in Portland. They wont be the cheapest, but they are Remington factory certified( atleast thats what I was told when I called them)

Be prepared for a long wait at Allisons because I know somebody there who used them for just factory service twice and both times the wait was 3 to 4 months for a few hour job. One problem was just polishing the bolt face and I forgot the other. I will not wait for months for minor repairs.

i bought a cheapie wally world, no bottom metal, plastic stock, fancy bsa scoped rifle at an estate sale that was covered in rust. the barrel looked like a sewer pipe. i bought a new take 3006 barrel from jon beagle (jon beagle rifles/ gun smith) in vancouver wa.

i set the barrel back two turns and re chambered it. i cooked up some hand loads and it shoots fantastic. i had a friend with a lathe turn the barrel shoulder and i re chambered it myself.

the load that worked the best was 56grains of imr 4350 behind a 180g hornaday btsp interlock. it pounds cope cans at three hundred yards of the sand.

My OAL with the 175SMK's is 2.81 also.

I'm doing ladder testing right now and so far am looking hard at 42.9gr Varget, <.75" vertical dispersion at 300yds for 3 groups which I think is just super. However my lateral dispersion is terrible and the rangemasters suggest it is the trigger pull, which I've taken down to 2.5# and no more for safety reasons (Mark X Pro). Their opinion is that I was putting too much side-tension on the trigger and really screwing up my release. We'll see.

For now I may just work with the jump and see if I can dial in this current load with neck tension (currently .336 bushing with Redding Type S neck bushing die) or play with OAL a little. We'll see what this does on the next ladder. Half-minute accuracy or less I think is pretty respectable for the 5R and I'm trying for better.

Setting back the barrel is not big deal for any decent gunsmith. Can I make a recommendation and just buy a new, better barrel, and have it chambered, and crowned.

No matter what way you go, while the barrel is off, have the lugs lapped, and the receiver trued up. Give you much better accuracy.

Agreed on the replacement barrel-

I've heard about something called 'F-Class Factory' shooting, which I suspect my 5R would qualify for. Also looking into what's up at Tri-County, I understand they have tactical shoots. For the time being I just want to wring it out and see what our best is, but I'm sure it could do better with a better barrel and chamber. Agreed on the lugs/action also.

It is what it is, better than most, but not a Tac-Ops or $3500 rifle...!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top